Mental Health Forums

"attention Seekers"

Fuck-My-Life

A good while now, I have seen the odd member on here make quite harsh comments about some other members being "attention seekers".

I think the term is horrid; it implies selfishness, shallowness and arrogancy.

Arent all of us sometimes selfish? Especially when unwell? Just because someone makes a post that some others may not like, it doesnt make them an attention seeker.

The likelihood is they are struggling, and cant get it out any other way.

This is not in any case acceptable, but it does hurt when I see the same member(s) use terms like "attention seeker" and "babies who throw their toys out the pram".

No one is perfect on here. We all say things sometimes that may hurt or upset, but it shouldnt mean attention seeking.

:)

Hi FML

I agree, I think some people forget how they used to be or they simply may have never been in the situation that can lead so many of us at times into doing things that come across as attention seeking. Its the same type of negative experiences so many have when they go to somewhere like AnE. The staff their not understanding these people who come in regularly from small overdoses etc, presuming that because it was not life threatening it is somehow invalid, I think people need more educating on mental health.

Thats what I mean. Perhaps the wording is a bit muddled for them, but everyones equal on here. Even people I have found I dont see eye to eye with.

Funny you mention the A&E thing; my old dr used to be judgemental; my first OD at 16, which landed me in hospital, she was like "Well I'm not surprised the staff were frustrated with you. I used to work in A&E and it was a case of oh great, another suicide attempt, yet a guy came in with a heart attack".

Hmmm. And they say that you need to be non-judgemental?

Not to worry Crippie, not aimed at you, just I have seen some people past and present do this. Hope you are feeling a bit better now? xx

Hey, no need to apologise.

I'm not surprised you feel so crap, I would hate to be called evil. But you should keep looking at your last thread and reinforcing the idea that you arent; so many on there have commented and said how nice you are; me, walker, cloud... everyone! :) xxx

I've not seen anything about attention seeking but surely seeking attention is perfectly normal.

When I was younger I used to seek attention because I couldn't talk to anyone about how I felt so I used to make things up so that I could get attention. This eased my pain slightly, it may not have been the right way to deal with things but I didn't know how else to cope.

In my experience, crying out for attention usually means you've had a traumatic time and it's natural to want to recover with someones help but know one will help you if you don't seek it.

Archived