Mental Health Forums

Direct Payments

lauraw2693

Can someone explain to me know they work/what they're for? My counsellor asked if I'd considered them last week and said when I was assessed for a CPN they should have asked about it but didn't. Could they be used to pay for therapy that the NHS aren't providing?

No, they can't be used for therapy. They are an alternative to having Social Services come in and support you - you get to hire your own support workers. There is a lot of support you can get with this though, and they should cover the costs of things like payroll and any insurance you may need as an employer.

People with physical disabilities might use them to pay someone to do things like help them with dressing or bathing, cooking and cleaning. I don't know anything about you or your support needs, but you might be able to use them to pay for someone to do things like cooking, cleaning, taking you to the shops if you had difficulties with those things.

Ah okay no it was only therapy I was wondering about, I already have a support worker.. My counsellor wasn't too sure, thought I'd ask, worth a try :rolleyes: thanks xx

support workers, day centres that sort of thing. i dont recieve them any more because im not under s.s as my needs are moderate.

you cant use them for educational use but say if u wanted support to go to choir you could

Your welcome. also financial services would have to come and assess u after they assess u needing them. and then u have to pay a contribution towards it. im getting alot back cos i were only using £29 a week and i were payinga weekly contribution of £78.41

I had a direct payment towards my first 10 driving lessons. It would help me gain confidence and independance whilst giving me a new focus so yeah... basically that kind of thing

I found this pdf. really useful Dir3ect Payments Rethink

I live on my own, and get Direct Payments for 10 hrs a week. I have no xrers and have just began with thiese. I'm finding oit a lifeline to hopefully helping me regain, as much as i can Normal recovery.

Archived