Mental Health Forums

Supersize Vs. Superskinny

Feehlo382

Hi everyone.

This is my first post here. I've had battles with an assortment of mental health problems including anorexia, and spent five months in an inpatient unit after dropping to a BMI of roughly 14. A year on from then, I still have a strange relationship with food, I am at a safe weight and alot healthier. But my fascination with diet and calories makes me feel impelled to watch the Channel 4 show Supersize vs. Superskinny. I wrote this a week ago, and want to share it with people who will understand where I'm coming from:

I'm watching Supersize vs. Superskinny Kids. Just have to say how badly it is handled. By swapping the diets of the two extremes, they're putting both of the kids in danger. The kid who is overweight is being given meagre portions is obviously at risk from the common known results of undereating - sure it's only for a week, but that is a sure-fire way of loosing weight in such a small space of time; I would lose an average of half a stone a week. And the girl who is underweight is being made to eat over 2000 calories more than her usual daily intake. And so that puts her at risk of refeeding syndrome.

And those things aside, though this show is meant to be informative - and I guess it is - it can also be very triggering or misleading. The purpose is to encourage a healthy diet. But people still assume a healthy diet is leaves. They should focus on explaining a healthy diet, not just banging on about how how certain food are unhealthy - people know what is unhealthy, it's a matter of choice whether they want to eat it regardless.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Currently I'm watching the show with two adults. So far, the woman whose body is conditioned to 4000 calories a day has not eaten at all in almost two days. She is shaking, has a headache and had no energy. The guy who is two-four stone underweight is eating FOUR times the amount as he is used to.

This is seen as entertainment more than anything else. Contacting Channel 4 is difficult, but this is obviously a popular show amongst those unaware of the serious implications that those taking part are suceptible to. There is a doctor involved, so I suppose there is medical supervision, but that doesn't reduce the risk of at least the onset of the potential danger to their health.

Thankyou for reading, any thoughts?

Welcome.

I agree with how triggering that show can be - That's why I don't watch it, or anything like it, anymore.

I suppose the people who go on the show know what they're getting into? The adults anyway. I'm not sure about the kids, that's probably why they only do one meal swap in the whole time for them.

I agree, I was watching it tonight and realised just how many tips people with eating disorders get from that show.

I think they use the shock effect for the actual people on there and wouldn't let them carry on eating the way they do on the show as, as you say it's dangerous to overfeed and under-feed when the body is used to it's own food intake, so obviously things change when they go home and they get their own healthy eating plan.

But like I said I agree, as one struggling with an eating disorder myself, I watch it not because it is entertaining but because I know it makes me want to carry on with my extreme calorie restriction. It's like a reminder of why I do it...which is not a good thing obviously.

I'm glad you're in recovery by the way :)

it certainly is good 'thinspiration' tho- i am needing some, hope its on 4OD,

take care, a.m

Im with you there lost kitten which i know is bad and not productive that shows meant to help peeps. I think its more a statement than anythinh. Any tips on how to keep gas from producing due to empty stomach. Tale care.

i don't get gas from restriction, but i do get stomach acid. use 'fruitin' from the health food shop tho. better & cheaper than gaviscon. xx

• 3 weeks later...

I can't help but watch this show, and felt fine while, I was fine. Now the eating disorders are back - I wonder.

At the end of the day, it is entertainment, made to get ratings for the Channel (Channel 4) more than to give advise to potentially seriously ill people. There is such a 'fascination' or obsession with under and overweight people these days.

I suppose that these supersize/superskinny people using such sudden changes in eating habits, will not do much harm for the 4/5 days they are on it. They are also closely monitored by the Medical Profession whilst there.

Behind the scenes, they are given advise, they are monitored, both physically and mentally, and the return of these people does show good results in most cases.

Personally, I would never want to be seen by 1000's if I were either super size (and I have been superskinny and very big, not quite supersize)

Documentary series in which extreme eaters - overweight and the other severely underweight - swap diets in an try to change the way they view food and eating

Archived