Mental Health Forums

Crisis Team

toaster

So I was looking for the crisis team number for a friend when I came across this page http://www.wirral.gov.uk/my-services/social-care-and-health/disabilities/mental-health/help-home/crisis-resolution-and-home-treatment-team - the bit that stood out for me was this:

This service is not usually appropriate for individuals with:

• Mild anxiety disorders
  • Primary diagnosis of alcohol or other substance misuse
  • Brain damage or other organic disorders including dementia
  • Learning disabilities
  • Exclusive diagnosis of personality disorder
  • Recent history of self harm but not suffering from a psychotic illness or severe depressive illness
  • Crisis related solely to relationship issues

I know this is just for the Wirral but I am guessing many teams work the same, seeing as they all have the same budget and targets and it is the same NHS.

I guess in an odd way I wanted this to make people feel BETTER not worse - it isn't personal when they turn you away - they have a set of guidelines they have to follow.

How depressing is it that I am actually relieved I do fit their criteria?!

In my area you are only allowed to call them if you have a referral from your GP, which lasts a week, then you have to be re-referred.

I think the Crisis Team/Home Treatment Team and the out of hours NHS mental health Crisis helplines that cover certain areas are two different things.

The HTT, you can only call if you are referred to them and under their care. The Crisis Line is for all people suffering from a mental health crisis/distress.

But i could be wrong :)

the group facilitators tried to get the crisis team to accept people from group and they refused...it was a PD group

I was under the crisis team a short while ago, but I also accepted the discharge in good faith cos in my case, there was nothing else they could do.

I was surprised the social worker and crisis team took me on in the first place, because I understand the crisis team to be there for people who are in the sort of crises in which they are likely, or can possibly put themselves or other people in danger.

I was under them also, a while back, but did not understand this at that time.

Also, I know its not the fault of crisis teams, but they are so overloaded with work, they have to prioritise. This can result in people who themselves feel they are in crisis, but not deemed by the team to be in crisis, to feel fobbed off, or not given enough priority. Also, I accept that, like everyone, the crisis teams can make mistakes sometimes.

similar

here we can only use them if been referred by mh team (or pos gp not sure, dont think so)

and it will last usually a week or two

after that cant contact them if they have discharged you back to mh team

we have a mh helpline here, not used it tho

dont know why they set up a crisis team then if ppl with these conditions cant ring up :rolleyes:

i guess because they offer a service to other people...

my psychiatrist explained to me that that things like crisis teams and being in hospital arent good for people with my types of problem - i avoid making decisions, i shirk responsibilty wherever I can, i have abandonmene issues - involve a crisis team and i will be avoiding even more decision making, more responsibilty and when they leave i will feel even more abandoned, so therefore more likely to stay in crisis.

and i agree with him. as much as i hate that i agree with him lol i do agree. a crisis team or a hospital cant stop someone from wanting to kill themselves. they can medicate someone with schizophrenia so they dont hear voices any more, but they cant change how that person feels about their illness.

there areother services for us that others dont get.

I used to see them quite a lot when I only had the BPD diagnosis :huh: Well I don't think I've seen them since having another diagnosis.. I am quite surprised at the self-harm one because that's been the main reason I've been referred most the time :rolleyes: xx

Random question but does anyone live in an area where you can text the crisis team instead of ring up? My support worker mentioned they did a trial of that here and when she tried to refer me last week they said I had to phone again <_< I've never understood that, I'm sure I can't be the only one who struggles to talk on the phone.. xx

dont know why my cpn gave me a crisis number then cos she knew i had a PD, she didnt say dont ring up, all sh said was that i couldnt ring at certain times...guess it different wherever you live then

dont know why my cpn gave me a crisis number then cos she knew i had a PD, she didnt say dont ring up, all sh said was that i couldnt ring at certain times...guess it different wherever you live then

Was that the Crisis helpline number or the Crisis Team/HTT Number? They are two different things.

Your CPN shouldn't give you the HTT number unless you have been referred to them and are under their care.

Was that the Crisis helpline number or the Crisis Team/HTT Number? They are two different things.

Your CPN shouldn't give you the HTT number unless you have been referred to them and are under their care.

Oh ok i dont know my cpn just gave me a crisis number i dont know whos she gave me at the time i didnt realise there were 2 lots ! wat does HTT mean ?

The HTT (Home Treatment Team) are an acute Crisis Team that you are referred to either by your Pdoc, CPN, or at A&E. They will assess your needs and if necessary will come and visit you at home for the duration of your crisis. Although as Toaster said. This is mainly a service for acute disorders such as Schizophrenia and Bipolar as an alternative to hospital. Although some areas do take on people with PD depending on their needs and symptoms at the time of assessment.

The HTT (Home Treatment Team) are an acute Crisis Team that you are referred to either by your Pdoc, CPN, or at A&E. They will assess your needs and if necessary will come and visit you at home for the duration of your crisis. Although as Toaster said. This is manily a service for acute disorders such as Schizophrenia and Bipolar as an alternative to hospital. Although some areas do take on people with PD depending on thier needs and symptoms at the time of assessment.

Thanks. no i dont think it was the HTT number tghanks 4 reply xx

Prowling L

that site i gave the link too...it is crisis team as well - they are the out of hours support as well as other stuff

im just aware a LOT of people on this site get a disservice from the crisis team...even when they are told by gps, social workers, cpns, 'ring the crisis team if u need' they are still treated like crap by the service.

that site i gave the link too...it is crisis team as well - they are the out of hours support as well as other stuff

Hi Toasts,

The Crisis Team is the Home Treatment Team.

The number that the CMHT's and GP's give out is the Crisis Helpline Number (NHS Crisis Line), which i think is a completely different entity and is for people suffering with Mental Health Problems in crisis or distress. Atleast it is in my area, which covers all of Surrey and North East Hampshire.

Calling this number in my area you will likely get a pick and mix service, there will either be someone who will talk you through and give you support, or someone who will tell you to take a bath, go for a walk or have a cuppa and there's nothing they can do for you, or they'll send round the cavalry to take you to A&E to get treated and assessed, depending on the crisis situation.

Telephone Crisis Helpline

I think if Crisis HTT's are stating that their services are not ideal for PD's, then the question we should be asking is, why are the CMHT's giving out their direct number (If that is the number they are giving) to Service Users with a Primary Diagnosis of PD if they cannot help them during a PD crisis. The CMHT's should know this is the case and prepare the Service User for the eventuality that they will likely turn them away or tell them something they don't want to hear or atleast offer them other means of support or skills training that can help a person with PD during said crisis. Some CPN's or Care Coordinators may already do this, but a lot don't.

I think if Crisis HTT's are stating that their services are not ideal for PD's, then the question we should be asking is, why are the CMHT's giving out their direct number (If that is the number they are giving) to Service Users with a Primary Diagnosis of PD if they cannot help them during a PD crisis. The CMHT's should know this is the case and prepare the Service User for the eventuality that they will likely turn them away or tell them something they don't want to hear or atleast offer them other means of support or skills training that can help a person with PD during said crisis. Some CPN's or Care Coordinators may already do this, but a lot don't.

Aurora this is a very good point !

i dont got on with the CR and HTT. i have been under the HTT a few times, but they just used to come for five minutes or less and ask if i was ok, and i would mostly respond no, to which they would answer, it'll get better. and on the few occasions i have managed to phone the ct, i have got answers like "have a brew" or "you need to start taking responsibility for the way you are feeling, we cant do that for you". both these times i have been on the "crisis board" (where my cpn has warned the ct that i am going through a really bad stage, and that i might ring. just so they kmow what is going on and who i am). 9-5 when you ring the number its the HTT, and after that its the CT. i just dont have much faith in my team.

Archived