Mental Health Forums

Confidentiality

lauraw2693

I just saw my CPN & spoke about letting her in a bit more, well her, my psychiatrist & support worker. She said it's hard for them to support me when I'm telling them different bits and bobs, but understands why it's safer for me to do that. But she did point out no one is getting the full picture & they all need to be on the same page. Which is fair enough.

I didn't realise quite how much this was the case - I struggle to remember which conversation I've had with which person so often assume they know things when I shouldn't make that assumption. My bad. I started talking about voices today & she had no idea how bad they were.

Anyway my question is this - if I write down for them exactly what's going on right now (nightmares, abuse stuff, voices, hallucinations, blanking out, the lot of it) and give them each a copy so they are all aware of everything - I'm aware they'd stick this on my file but who would have access to read it, just the three I give it to or anyone do to with my care at any point? Am I able to say i only want certain people to see it?

I'm not sure how it works, I know it's confidential but it scares me so much putting certain things down in writing so I want to be sure. Also are there any rules that differ if you're considered a danger to yourself? Because I'm pretty sure I would be right now.

The other thing is this, I'm not mentioning any names or anything & not going to tell them even if they ask, but there is no way they can ask me to report anything that has happened to me can they? I cannot do this and I'm not going to tell them what's happened in my past if there's a chance they'll start pressuring me to do something about it now.

Any help would be appreciated before I email my CPN - I find it hard to trust her so even if she says no one else will see I want to be sure they can't legally do anything, thanks :)

Mental health records are totaly confidential. I think the team can put a sucide alert (but no detail re your background)on more general records if you are considederd to be at risk, as can your GP. The detailed records will only be available to the team involved with your care, they are not even shared with your GP. Its ok to explain your fears and they will be able to reassure you.

my pdoc sends a letter to my gp summeriseing my session i also get a copy of this letter. i hate this as my landlady works at the doctors and ive seen her name on the docs computer screen at the side of some of the stuff, i hate the idea of her knowing this stuff about me i know she carnt tell anyone ect but she still knows ..... is there any thing i can do about this ??

Thanks for the reply, I probably have or have had that on my file already then Shadow. I've emailed my CPN to check it would only be seen by the people I want to see it ie my psych, CPN & support worker - it's more whether other people who are occasionally involved (for example psychotherapy dept supervisor who I've met a couple of times) would be able to see this also (because I don't want them to).

Yeah lockie my psych does the same, I don't mind the summary letter going to my GP, it's these more specific details I don't want going any further. Not sure if I can request particular things to only be seen by particular people?

Can you explain your worries to your GP & say you would prefer her not to be able to access your records? Think that would be a fair request.. xx

hmmm...theyre obviously not communicatin wif each other i.e keepin confidentiality, so i reckon ur ok :blink:

(((((((((((((((shadowoftheday))))))))))))))))))

True toaster you're probably right, they don't seem to communicate every well between them anyway so it would probably get lost somewhere as usual anyway :rolleyes: (((((((toast))))))) xxx

Archived