Mental Health Forums

Work Focused Interview Felt Positive

hummm_mabbe

Hi there

Just been for my first work focused interview after being placed back on ESA, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I had been for similar things when I was on Incapacity Benefit, and to be honest they never really seemed to offer much in the way of practical support. It was more stuff like "maybe you should look for some voluntary work?". They werent forcing me into working, but they werent offering much that might help me bridge the gap.

Well i dont know if something has changed in the provision where I live, or if its a govt initiative, but this time it felt like they offered quite a bit more. They had this (admittedly a bit pop-psychology sounding) sort of confidence building and life skills programme thing, which lasts a fortnight. The anxious part of me thinks "oh god, a fortnight around PEOPLE" but my sort of recovery oriented part is thinking "well this could be useful". But at least its there. Its the kind of thing that would usually cost hundreds of pounds, so I feel like it might be worth giving it a crack.

They also seemed to have like graded working options, I didnt really understand how it worked but it was some organisations that offer a few hours work a week. They also offered me stuff like IT and work skills training, all free. So I am going to have a think about it all - I know I need something to try and get me to experiment with society again, get me out of my flat (as much as I love talking to all mah peeps on here through the day).

So yeah. Bit mixed feelings about it, but it felt more positive than I thought it would be.

Your having a few doubts and nervous obviously, pesky negative feelings

Overall sounds like a super positive step

Well done for you!

easing back in to the work world can be very confidence building in itself It sounds like it could be a really helpful my experience with going back to work less than full time due to MH has been positive in retrospect. It is challenging but that is part of what make it worthwhile.

Best of luck Ross :) *cheering you on over here.

Hi there

Just been for my first work focused interview after being placed back on ESA, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I had been for similar things when I was on Incapacity Benefit, and to be honest they never really seemed to offer much in the way of practical support. It was more stuff like "maybe you should look for some voluntary work?". They werent forcing me into working, but they werent offering much that might help me bridge the gap.

Well i dont know if something has changed in the provision where I live, or if its a govt initiative, but this time it felt like they offered quite a bit more. They had this (admittedly a bit pop-psychology sounding) sort of confidence building and life skills programme thing, which lasts a fortnight. The anxious part of me thinks "oh god, a fortnight around PEOPLE" but my sort of recovery oriented part is thinking "well this could be useful". But at least its there. Its the kind of thing that would usually cost hundreds of pounds, so I feel like it might be worth giving it a crack.

They also seemed to have like graded working options, I didnt really understand how it worked but it was some organisations that offer a few hours work a week. They also offered me stuff like IT and work skills training, all free. So I am going to have a think about it all - I know I need something to try and get me to experiment with society again, get me out of my flat (as much as I love talking to all mah peeps on here through the day).

So yeah. Bit mixed feelings about it, but it felt more positive than I thought it would be.

humm--positive about doing some different things, grow in new ways, open to new ideas

sounds like someone is getting better!!

fluffyhigglysnugnels for you xo

Your having a few doubts and nervous obviously, pesky negative feelings

Overall sounds like a super positive step

Well done for you!

Lol yeah a little bit :) It'll be the first time I have really been around folks for any stretch of time for around 3 years, so just that is a big challenge. Its in May, so have a bit of time before I have to think about it.

easing back in to the work world can be very confidence building in itself It sounds like it could be a really helpful my experience with going back to work less than full time due to MH has been positive in retrospect. It is challenging but that is part of what make it worthwhile.

Yeah that was one of the things she suggested, you know, do the course first, then experiment with actually working. Still having me therapy, so if things go KERSPLODE then I will have someone there with a dustpan and brush to sweep up the bits **bites nails**

humm--positive about doing some different things, grow in new ways, open to new ideas

sounds like someone is getting better!!

fluffyhigglysnugnels for you xo

Lol ta for snurgles :lol:

It will be a good test of where I am I suppose, and give me something to work with in therapy. I guess a bit like physiotherapy, you need to exercise the gammie leg to make it better and things.

I'm so so so happy to read this Ross, well done to you! This is brilliant. You are being so positive about it and it's fandabeedozee!!!! xxxxx

I'm so so so happy to read this Ross, well done to you! This is brilliant. You are being so positive about it and it's fandabeedozee!!!! xxxxx

Thanks roses

There's that little part of me that is really, really uncertain about it all and just wants to go hide in a comfy place, but I guess I am also stuck right now. I do feel like my life is on hold and things, and I need to do something. Its whether or not the ol brainie part and the emotions are going to be manageable and things.

I wish it was ok for a 33 year old man to carry a toy bunny rabbit with him. Maybe I will get a little key ring one :)

I hope it works out for you and its really fun and helpful. It does sound really good. and if it works for you maybe we could all try it

I hope it works out for you and its really fun and helpful. It does sound really good. and if it works for you maybe we could all try it

Thx emma :)

I am still deciding whether or not to go ... it is for two weeks, every day. But it does sound like it could be good ... I dunno. Probably will go. Am not expecting any great breakthroughs as most of the psychology in it is stuff Ive had in the past or just a bit self-helpie, "therapy-lite", but just the experience of being around other folks will be useful.

2 weeks every day does sound like a big commitment but i hope they will understand that it won't suit everyone so if you try it and you can't do it, hopefuly they will understand its not that you dont want to, a 2 week course is just too much for you atm. even if you just go for 1 day and give up you might still get something from it, even if its just another bad experience to learn from.

It will be very useful being around ppl. The therapists will hopefully see how the groups are effecting you and they can get a real idea of what you have trouble with in social situations, they can pick up a lot more from watching you do stuff in groups over several days then they can in a 1-to-1 session or in a group once a week. you can build up to a weekly group (or try to) but a course like this you need stamina for.

but the most important thing is you. It is a great opportunity if you look at what they are offering but is it still a good oportunity if you look at where you are with your life? I think you are right to take your time deciding, its a big thing xx

Yeah that was one of the things she suggested, you know, do the course first, then experiment with actually working. Still having me therapy, so if things go KERSPLODE then I will have someone there with a dustpan and brush to sweep up the bits **bites nails**

I always thought I was going to fall face flat, in fact I still do feel that way. My Pdoc said I would not fall face flat like that ever again. I would not have a nervous breakdown and go to H again becaause we would work together to ensure it did not happen. I didn't believe him, I am still scared of that "what if" and of the social humiliation that would follow in my professional circle.

But from 07-10 it did not happen, we did work hard. Things that made going back work out for the better.

Accepting that I would be returning back to work part-time not full

Looking for a situation that would be part time + flexible

Promoting my ability to be flexible to each project as needed

Working with my P-doc extensively about social work dynamics and feelings of failure and inadequacy

Making a realistic work schedule no Thursdays, since they were lowest point in the week, I am sure 90% of missed worked happened to fall on a Thursday

Working in a small office

This is just looking back, if you were to ask me while I was in the thick of it, I would have said it felt like a mess, mostly because I did not feel calm and confident about the social dynamic of work, I felt like a fraud. However, I think I made big strides in learning how to be consistent and making an effort to get along with people without being smoozy. Or better put, I was learning how to be vulnerable enough to share snippets of myself, that made me feel approachable and likeable without compromising my work performance.

Doing something you are good at repetitively everyday is rewarding and that is a positive that builds on itself to ease back into the world.

Sah

*Its one thing for me to know spinach is good for me, its another to get myself to eat it, trying to get back into work again too.

Archived