Mental Health Forums

Weights, Calories, As A Trigger For Ed Ppls?

Benway

Ok, I have an ED. I know how many cals i consume a day, and how many cals i have burnt off.

I had it before, but its kicked back in with a vengeance since xmas.

I just wanted to ask yous , esp those ppls with EDs if you find weights, cals, or purging methods etc triggering.

I do. I find them very triggering. So triggering i will take action if i read anything remotely trig about eating disorders.

Yeah, its my problem - maybe i should stay out of the ed section, you might say.

Yes, I see your point, but even down to a members signature to do with weight trigs me and makes me feel so guilty for having eaten.

I just wanted to know - not starting an argument or a 'petition', just a discussion, if you guys think that weights, cals, how long i have not eaten for, or just generally info that is triggery to ED ppl and is not needed in the post, should be 'allowed'

Since i have started to have disordered eating patterns i find myself accidentally getting triggered by reading posts,

It's hard, thats all.

I know that technically there is nothing in the rules about this, but to me it is as triggering as a s/h post would be to a s/harmer.

Thanks for reading. Any opinions , cheers, b.k. x

Hey badkitteh, I agree with you on this one.. I've been triggered by several things in the ED section that didn't have warnings on - like you said, as triggering as some s/h posts. I find weights, BMIs, calories etc very triggering and obviously can't help comparing to myself and end up feeling awful and needing to take action. I know that is my responsibility and I'm not saying anyone is making me do it but I think some people could do with being a little bit more sensitive to this when writing posts and place a trigger warning on, especially if it contains any of these numbers. Stay safe lovely xxx

Just read your post quick Kitteh hun, as am off for a bit of a cry, whinge and grump in the shower (it helps! hehe)

I thought that it was actually in the rules somewhere... or at least there were guidelines saying not to mention stats or methods within a post, in your sigs etc, but i think i must have been mistaken as i can't seem to find it anywhere after looking recently. :blink:

But yes, i find them massively trig. If someone is so much as a lb lighter than me, i feel like death, and I have v little self control with regards to my ED, especially recently, so i end up acting on it too. It is hard, indeed.

I think there should be lots of obvious trig warnings if people are gunna mention that they binged/purged/restricted, but there should be a rule in place that you can't say "i'm only having this many cals a day" etc. I think it's fair to say i'm restricting, and it's below the recommended cal intake, but not be exact. same for i've not eaten recently, but again, not with numbers etc. Okay to say that you are overweight/underweight, but not "i weigh this much".

I hope that makes sense, as am a bit higgledy piggledy atm. love and hugs to you sweetness xxxxx

Hi, and thanks for your replies.

Maybe if we just brought up awareness on this it might help a bit.

And i wanted to see if i was the only one who feels like this.

I too have very little self control atm with it, as i am not abusing drugs, self harming. or any other twisted 'coping mechanism'.

Like yous i compare myself and feel huge when i see stats. I used go to pro ana sites etc but stopped a few yrs ago. I always felt i could never 'compete' plus how unhealthy and totally obsessive they are.

Shadow, yeah, i think if numbers were left out, it would help. Ppl can still talk about the disorder, as they can with s/h without going into the finer points.

Crip, hope your cry helps, i had one earlier and felt better after it :unsure:. Even 'trigger warning' would help on posts.

It does make sense, I try respect other ppl, as do yous by not talking about specifics, but getting trig'd so much lately.

And of course some members are new, or young, and don't know that they are triggering. i think.

Hugs, xxx a.m

Maybe if there was a particular post that upset you just PM the member and suggest gently that they stick a trigger warning on next time? I do try and avoid things I think will trigger bad thoughts about eating but it's very hard to do this as they don't always have warnings on :huh: It's not just you though, and I'm sure it's not just us three who get triggered by this kind of thing. Hugs to you xxx

Im really sorry if my post has triggered and for not putting may trigger it was never my intention and i have been triggered by posts before and its horrible. I didnt think my minds in a blur. I was just trying to figure out what is normal real and all that as the numbers are the thing i get so confused about. Im in a real state at mo and i would hate to think i have put other people in a state. I wasnt posting in a positive light or saying that im happy about any particular weight and i mentioned how despite weight i am miserable and confused about the whole thing and the ibs. Really sorry hope everyoned ok

Also i am healthy apart from my thoughts at mo someone the other day was bragging about stats and how ubderweight they were my post was not like that at all!! i was merely asking if ya still get acceptrled for help at a medically sound weight im going by what the docs tell you is ok.

Archived