Mental Health Forums

Your Experiences Of Mirtazapine

pidgeypony

I know that many people have tried this, some with great success, others not so happily. Just interested in the experiences of members here.

I was changed to this four weeks ago now, starting dose of 15mg, and OMG, I have been and still am, in hell. I have never felt so bad, or behaved so badly towards other people and animals.

I feel knotted inside, ready to explode. I have had bad dreams, been so angry I have pretty much been almost aggressive.

Do these bad effects go, or will I need to try something else? That would mean going right back to square one again, not really off the starting block yet anyhow. I have been pretty manic, during the happy stages, I can post on here, in just a matter of minutes I can change, and be on the point of trying to commit suicide.

So, anbody want to share their experiences please?

gotta admit i was on mirtazapine for the best part of a year and i never had any side effects like that so i guess i'm not much help really.

go back to your gp cos after 4 weeks the side effects should have worn off

Yep i had shocking side affects with them,I felt angry,agressive,suicidal and basically like i wasn't in my own body,I had to come off them,It is best if you go back to your GP and tell him how you're feeling.Good luck.xxxxxxxx

Mirtazapine made me very sleepy, which was why I took it, to help with insomnia. However after a while it caused a lot of irritability and aggression, weight gain to the tune of about 5kg, and didnt really help at all with anxiety or depression. Stopped taking it eventually and the irritability went away which was nice. Learned to use meditation to help me off to sleep too.

Sheez, glad I am seeing Dr again tomorrow, maybe he will agree to try something else. I'll let you know. I am such a mild calm person normally, I am like Jekyll and Hyde right now (sorry if I spelt those names wrong)

Sheez, glad I am seeing Dr again tomorrow, maybe he will agree to try something else. I'll let you know. I am such a mild calm person normally, I am like Jekyll and Hyde right now (sorry if I spelt those names wrong)

Hope it goes well :)

And hey you spelt them perfectly, but it doesnt matter if you spell stuff wrong :) Whats important is the ideas and feelings you have :hug2:

Here I wil spel stuf delibrutly rong to show u its ok to spell fings any way u like ^_^

I fink i mite spel fings difrunt frum nowon :rolleyes:

Lol **raises flag of freedom against those who demand good spelling**

Can you believe I am sat here with Pills in one hand and alcohol in the other right now, ready to chuck it in? What though is making me type here instead???

Can you believe I am sat here with Pills in one hand and alcohol in the other right now, ready to chuck it in? What though is making me type here instead???

I guess the word would be 'hope'? There's many folks here that have been in that same place, and might tell you there's something on the other side of it all.

Maybe go and plonk the pills in a cupboard or something, just enjoy the booze, and if you like come back and natter about whats upsetting you when it all feels less overwhelming?

So here is how the Mental Health Services work in Cornwall.

Saw GP - annoyed that Support Team had not contacted me, wants me to stop the Mirtazapine, but didn't want to prescribe anything, as I did get an appointment with the MHT this afternoon..

After ten minutes of seraching for named person, I found the miserable old goat. She is unable to prescribe, I still don't know her status.

After a meeting she rang to say they had arranged for me to see a Psychiatrist in due course. I am now left with no anti-depressants.

Rang my Surgery, GP secretary not in, GP not in as is on holiday. Told her I saw him this morning, she told me I couldn't have as he is on holiday. Drrrrr...did I dream that I saw him? Hopefully my collapsing unconscious outside the surgery was all a dream too.

So, I am left with no help and no drugs.....

i'm sorry you've been left like this.

person you likely saw was a cpn (community psych nurse) who, as you know, can't prescribe. they aren't there to manage meds but to make sure you are "stable", looking after yourself and generally not a danger. they can come to meetings with you too if you need them to and just sit and talk to you about how your life is.

you shouldn't be stopping any meds right away. are they tapering off?

Mirtrazipine eased the horror of depression and PTSD for me a bit, but the first three to four weeks were hell. I took it over the long cold winter and 3 hours before I wanted to sleep (big mistake) - in those three hours I would eat anything I could find. Resulted in huge weigh gain which I only realized when trying on summer clothes. Ironic as I lost 45lbs after my husband died.

Before that I was on Citalopram for 4 weeks which never worked at all and made everything worse.

Now I'm on Sertraline (which is similar to Zoloft) but only in the first two weeks, and it not only is not working, I feel much worse. Its ironic that these meds take so long to work and yet the time leading up to them working (if they are going to) makes you feel worse.

I hope you have found one reason to try to go on. Just one. Suicide leaves lasting trauma for all your family, especially male relatives. My husband committed suicide and it has left a trail of devastation and a lasting legacy. This is the only thing holding me back - I would hate to inflict that pain and guilt upon my son (my only living relative).

I know the best advice is to go to the ER for emergency help, but do not know if that is an effective option or not.

Well, I'm still here - obviously - and right now feel confused, angry, upset, depressed, yet have a vague glimmer of hope, hope that thins will improve and my life can get back oto an even keel.

I was on Citolapram for quite some years, and I remained stable. Then Anorexia started kicking in again, and the result is a very confused, wanting body. I have the typical (I guess) ED thoughts and feelings. I can only guess, as I have not seen anyone yet, that, having considered it, that I am Anorexic with binge/purge episodes.

I have been taken straight off the Mirtazapine, but only having been on them a month, the dose was still low at 15mg per day.

I am seeing a Psychiatrist on Friday to sort out some news meds to try. I became manic when I went onto mirt. and swing widly now from super happy to suicidal.

I feel so sorry for my long-suffering husband, who has put up with so much from me.

it's still unusual to stop you dead but i did it with citralopam when i went manic and at 4 weeks it's not really kicked in properly. i hope the pdoc can help

Hello, I was on Mirtazapine since aug 10 and even though it helped me eat,sleep,put weight on I have been through hell, anxiety,stomach pains,upset stomach,bad dreams, nausea in and out of hospital suicidal for no reason head felt as though it had something rustling around in it,dry mouth, tried to come off it since christmas as my dose went from 15mg to 45mg then it poops out, couldn't get below 3mg in liquid form so went cold turkey first 2 days slept around 10 hrs my anxiety had gone completely but still having bad withdrawl such as fever for the last 3 days, pains in the stomach constanley feeling sick and no appetite and feel awlful its been 7 days now off it pleaded with dr that I couldn't stand the withdrawl please put me back on it he says no, but is thinking about giving me amitripyline. So basically it did its job but with a cost, also I found it numbs all your feelings so you feel quite zombie tired.

1 30mg tablet knocks me out for a god 15hours sleep, then awake for 2/3 hours then back in bed....too strong fro my body, i'm size 8 5"1 - maybe this med has an effect depending on height and weight etc cos my mum is on it and it doesnt knock her out!

Archived