Mental Health Forums

Lithium

ragdoll

i started a new drug today and im worried about it as i dont like it and never have, i have never advised it to anyone to take as it is very toxic and with my history my psych and i are being cautious with it. who is on lithium and what are the side effects. im worried about the weight gain but i dont eat so i dont have that problem. im also worried about the salt content of lithium and the thirst factor. please tell me anything else. the reason im on this drug is that ive tried all other mood stabilizers and none of them have worked. this is the last resort. im also back on the anti psychs, stelazine that no one seemed to like last time i mentioned it here and im being weened off my anit depressant to be started on another one. im tired of trying all these things, ive been on everything imaginable and nothing works. so i wonder what is the point. i told him today id be better off using the tubing in my boot and gassing myself. he wasnt too happy with that. but if all this turns out bad and my mood does not stabilize with this lithium ill use it.

please give me any info on lithium as possible as i know not much about it. thanks

rag

i have never been on litium however i know several people that have done well on it. i do know you have to have regular blood draws to check the litium levels... you can get toxic on it.

i hope it helps... maybe you should give it a chance... you've been feeling so bad anyway this could help.

hope it does

bets

i think from what ive just read about lithium and from how ive seen it work on some ppl i know id rather not be on it. maybe i should take all of what i have and go toxic.

dont say you all care.

ragdoll, what you say is not fair on the other users. If people didnt care then im sure they wouldnt give there time to reply. If i hear anything else similar or the same as this i will inform your isp.

Ragdoll, I hope the lithium works for you, everybody are so different and side effects are not always the same for everyone.

I just need to say, from reading the notice board I know people do care about you.

xx

When lithium was first discovered as a anti depressant/ mood stabiliser it revolutionised the mental health system as we know it. It cleared mental health institutes across the world, finally it was something that worked. I have been on lithium for over 2 years, I have had no problems with it. I take the lowest dose which is 900mg. I dont know if I have any side effects. Not any adverse ones anyway. I know that lithium if taken in large doses can be lethal, as can any drug, but particularly lithium. Thats why they do the blood draw.

Stacey you know this, we have talked about this, please dont do anything stupid. There are people here that care about you, and that will continue to care about you, but I beg you please do not play with our emotions. Some of us are already on the edge as it is. Yes we care about you, but I for one wont stand by and watch you self destruct. I have already lost one good friend, I aint gonna stand by and watch another, I love you too much. I am here when you want to talk, as I am sure there are a lot of others here. Reach out. We love you.

Wabbit

Hi Stacey, I know its scary to be on new meds when u here so many bad things about them but like others have said, you might as well try as u have been feeling so bad recently. I've been on lithium for about 10 months now. They have to do lots of regular blood tests when u first go on it to get the dose right but once its at the right level in your blood u only have to have the blood tests every 3 months or so. I haven't had any major problems with it....I get the thirst thing but thats not really a problem and also shaky hands...or the 'lithium shakes' but u live with it if its got a chance of helping. As for weight gain, I have put on weight but not sure whether its down to the lithium or the other meds that also have that as a side effect. But, like u, they have said this is the last thing they can try which may help so its worth giving it a go and sticking with it for long enough for it to work.

Hope it helps honey. Please be careful with it. As lots of others have said, people do care...if they didn't why would they bother?

Hugs :wub:

• 3 years later...

Hi,

Lithium affects the flow of sodium through nerve and muscle cells in the body. Sodium affects excitation or mania.Lithium is used to treat the manic episodes of manic depression. Manic symptoms include hyperactivity, rushed speech, poor judgment, reduced need for sleep, aggression, and anger. Lithium also helps to prevent or lessen the intensity of manic episodes.Lithium may also be used for other purposes not listed in this medication guide.

For more information to this site:

http://www.drugs.com/lithium.html

It may be 4 years old but there are new people on the site who want to know the information and there may have been new studies into it.

I am on 800mg and was told to make sure that i drink a lot as this could affect your salt levels. Also, to begin with you have regular blood tests to make sure you have the correct levels. Then you have your levels tested about 3 monthly.

Archived