Mental Health Forums

1 Dose Down

galupy

so i started the dreaded taper of venlafaxine yesterday after only 6 weeks (intolerable!) and by 10pm last night i could feel that i didnt take it. today, i just can't be bothered to take it.

i took an extra 500mg of seroquel this morning to sleep, not even took my standard dose today. what's the point?

i know it has to be me convincing myself that i can feel the effects of not having the meds in my system cos it's only 1 dose. maybe i am just expecting this to happen so it will do?

Its well worth the awful side effects to get off it. Just be strong, they will go. I came off from 300mg to 0 in 4 weeks. It was five weeks of hell but well worth it. Have you got someone to give you a little TLC while you do it, or a CPN to shout at re having been prescribed it in the first place. That's what helped me through, he ignored my anger and assured me it would stop. He was right.

Hope you feel better quickly - I assume it will be faster for you if only on it for 6 weeks. I had been on it for over 2 years.

Hugs.

Maybe you should taper more slowly? The body knows when it expects its fix and is not happy when you skip one.

Docs have never told me to titrate up or down slowly. They want you to get to your goal fast and minimize the time you are uncomfortable. Ironic, no? So you end up feeling like a big poop for 4 weeks when you could have felt like a small poop for 8. Maybe you could call your doc and ask if you can go slower?

i've felt ok today. i should be off them on wednesday so we'll see what happens then i guess.

by oki mean, not like i'm going to faint.

i forgot my dose before work today (changing shifts) and by 2pm i felt awful again. what is next week gonna be like without it!?

Here's what I did coming off SSRIs:

For lightheadedness, dizzy, etc. get some OTC travel sickness tablets. Also helps with nausea.

For upset tummy drink ginger tea or eat some ginger candy.

For insomnia take a couple of Advil PM or Benedryl and take a really hot bath before bedtime.

Drink lots of water and try to get some exercise, it moves the poison out of your blood faster.

Archived