Mental Health Forums

"hoarding" When Depressed/unwell

Fuck-My-Life

Today, I managed to finish off my last summative (graded) assignment for uni. So this afternoon, I have been trying to tidy my room.

I cannot believe how much stuff I have collected since I came down last year! And I'm only in Halls! Its very frightening actually, because I just havent seen for months what a state my room was getting (other than a rather rude room inspection, which was sprung on me weeks ago).

Does anyone else hoard things when depressed? I have found pizza cartons, bits of paper, just about everything. :(

im a major hoarder, im always getting moaned at for it... i have enough stuff in my one bed flat, for a 3 bed house lol

i actually took some old clothes and shoes to the charity shop a couple of months ago.... which was a MAJOR achievement for me!!!

some weeks i dont even have a rubbish bag to put out... thats how much i hoard!!!! lol x

FML

Yeah i do the same. i tend to hoard books for some reason, go through a stage where i buy loads or borrow loads from the library and then just pile them up. forget they are there until i trip over them or something like that. actually as im looking round where i am atm, i can see stuff everywhere that ive horded that i dont need.

hang in there hun xx

im gonna be moving soon, and im ABSOLUTELY dreading it!!! i will have to de clutter soooo much before i move :( xx

Books, interesting! I dont have many books. My room is cluttered still with lecture notes, which I have found a home back in their folders... pretty wasted though, seeing as I have passed those elements of the course...

Currently, there are loads of clothes, shed loads of pizza cartons and bus tickets!

yeh iv got clothes everywhere too!!! and candles, books, cosmetics (most of which are basically empty), ornaments, old magazines, old paper work (dont even know why i bothered buying a shredder!!!), god i still even have my bday cards up, and it was a month ago lol!!!

but my biggest vice is shoes... i have well over 50 pairs, and i barely where most of them!!!

anyway blahblah1.gif ... just wanted you to know you wernt alone!!! x

oh god fml i so do this. and its fucking horrible. when i emptied me flat to move in with pie we filled SEVENTY bin bags :o i couldnt open my bedroom door properly cuz behind it were hundreds of aerosol cans, vodka bottles, pizza/food boxes...and yes, i keep useless bits of paper as well.

ive found living with someone, and maybe loving someone and feeling loved, has eased this for me. every home i lived in i would end up hoarding to the point one housing association tried to get me into supported living. i wouldnt let ppl in my house cuz i was so ashamed.

ive read and heard that hoarding can be linked with neglect as a child, whether physical or emotional.

i go from having to have the house perfect to it turning upside down. i cant keep up with my own standards.

this is a post i made lat year , it has pics of me flatand all the bin bags http://www.mentalhealth-world.org.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/54191-my-flat/ u so arent alone in this!

Hiya ((((((((fml))))))))))

I think yous are right that it has to do with depression, poor self esteem, low energy levels,

and self-care/self-parenting.

An its a bitch- I only got council bins recently as the last ones were nicked about a yr ago- so i had a years bin bags in me garden to clean out a while back, it was truely disgusting.

You are lucky in a way you have a small area to live in, you have to deal with it sooner.

A trick i learnt it to buy a timer and set it for 15 mins...

Then get stuck in for 'just' 15 mins... a few times a day,

Or "pick up 50 things' game....

Its nice to have your surroundings calm and clean, it has such a good effect on ones mood i think. Pity some of us struggle with it.

Hugs am xx

wrt to hoarding and clutter and general tidy/cleanliness, i tend to find that my environment reflects pretty much what is going on in my head at that time...

Archived