Mental Health Forums

What Qualifies As A Mood?

verbena

When I go in for an appointment, the first thing my therapist likes to ask me is how my mood has been. I honestly haven't known what he meant, because all I knew was good mood and bad mood. Happy or sad. Now, I see that someone labels each posting with a mood - I think it is so interesting but wonder if sometimes I will want to challenge their judgement. I am going to be collecting words describing moods and maybe I can give a better answer next time. The other thing that bugs me about this question is that whatever mood I am in when I walk in his door is my mood. Period. It is very hard for me to imagine or remember any other feelings I have had other than what I am feeling right now. I do keep a kind of journal, and will include these words there.

I know this topic isn't terribly provacative, but it's my first new topic, and I am being careful not to draw criticism.

Verbena

Well, good, bad, angry, happy, crabby (me yesterday), friendly, outgoing, paranoid, secretive....

Probably a ton, but are they moods?

All the smilies are likely moods...

I am the same, whatever mood i am in that is it, i dont remember previous moods, how it felt etc so i can only say there any then what mood i am in and it can change in an instant.

I'd really like to learn how to head off bad moods before they become too consuming. My therapist likes to wait it out(easy for him)because he knows that by the time he has received my phone message, I am probably asleep or wouldn't remember what I had called him about anyway - still in the throws of paranoia or anxiety, it doesn't help me a whit that he is comfortable waiting for things to go the other way.

We were on vacation last week, and I did pack a bag of fun stuff to distract me. Being off work and a regular schedule was rough I think. I took lots of books, chapstick, Vicks(my secret weapon-nothing gets past it), lots of colored metallic pens and writing paper, cell phone(of course). Sometimes playing snake on my cell phone for a few minutes works like pushing a reset button, and I am different when I look up again.

Verbena

Moods.....My moods are so up and down it is hard to keep track of them and how I got there. My Psych asks me what mood I am in when I see him and I am always uncertain what to say as I am not sure what mood I am in myself so I usually say okay which really pisses him off to no end. He get so frustrated with me then I leave feeling like shit. I have to see him today......hopefully I can think of a word to describe my mood before I go see him.....

hehehe...

wab i think i will use it to.... tired of using unable to trust you... this sounds like a good alternative!

Bets

We go to them for help.....they try to help......we pay them to help.....then we screw around with our time there.

Verbena

awwwww... if i cant have a little fun... i dont want to do it. i have been crazy longer that this man has been alive.... got to keep trucking and fun helps

bets

My counsellor used to always ask me how my mood had been over the last week or so, I found out it was to make me open up. I think he expected me to go into details about what/why made me happy, what/why made me sad etc. That way it is easier for them to get a fuller picture I suppose. So he do not like it when I just say ok.

I suppose I came round to the way of thinking you can put as much or as little as you want back.

xx

Archived