Mental Health Forums

Emdr

lauraw2693

Just wondering if anyone here has tried this and how effective it was for you? My new therapist suggested it as something we could try at some point when I'm a bit more comfortable with her so I'm looking it up at the moment.. does it only help if you have really specific memories? And what is it meant to help with exactly? I have BPD and most likely DID so she thought it would be appropriate - but a lot of my abuse memories are very sketchy so would it still be effective? And I understand the theory from what I've read but would appreciate a description of the process from anyone who's tried it if possible.. Any opinions welcome, thanks :)

if its enything like my local serivce your looking at a 2 year wait for it. atleast i thinkit is 15 months with no info in when it starts and with 2 therpaists im 14 of 90 whatever that means

Hey Paul, thanks for your reply.. I'm looking at doing this with a private therapist so was asking more about the actual process :) but thank you for replying, hope you don't have too much longer to wait xx

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sorry the list is that long Paul, I'm glad in some ways I'm now seeing someone private as she's willing to try it whenever. xx

No experience, sorry m'love, but is there ever a bad time for hugs???!!!

:hug2::bigarmhug[1]::bigarmhug[1]::hug2:

xxxxxxxx

hi,

i have a little experience of emdr. i had a few sessions as i am plagued with flashbacks. the first few treatments i had the therapist used her fingers and you have to follow them whilst thinking of particular events or feelings then after a few muinutes i was asked what it brought up and then it would be repeated. positive statements were introduced and the therapist would move her fingers again. it wasnt like hypnotherapy at all i was fully conscious throughout however i found it very hard to concentrate. then at a later time it was suggested i had more and that time the doctor said my eyes were too slow or lazy or something to do it and it was probably why it didnt work before. she gave me these pulsing things to use, one in each hand which worked a lot better for me personally however i think i had one or two sessions at most and the doctor left the hospital i was an inpatient in and the therapy stopped and i have had no more since. sorry i cant be more helpful,

kat

Thanks for your input Kat :) That's very helpful, I'm glad it's nothing like hypnotherapy because the thought of that scares me a lot. Did the sessions you had have any positive effect at all? I'm not sure how many sessions are standard :rolleyes: xx

hi,

i think it did help a little, well the second lot of treatment did although i still think if i had completed it it would have been a lot more successful. i 9was very scared it was going to be like hypnotherapy but it wasnt (ive had a bad experience of being hypnotised) just for me it required a l9ot of concentration trying to move your eyes with the finger movements and think about particular things.

kat

Thanks Kat, I'm glad it was some use and also glad to hear its not like hypnotherapy because that scares me too! I will give it a try when I know my therapist a little better, worth a try :) xxx

Archived