Mental Health Forums

Any Other Therapy?

ntt14

Anyone know of any other techniques that therapists use other than cognitive behavioural therapy. That and medication is all I've ever really had and, after 20 years, I think I desperately need a new approach.

Hi!

There are loads and loads of different therapy approaches - person centered, dialectical behavioral therapy, emdr, psychoanalytical...the list is endless. Do you know what your diagnosis is? Different therapies are better for different conditions.

I have had depression for a long time too, I guess unfortunately the way the nhs works, first you have to go to the common mental health counselling service, where if they feel you need it can refer you to psychotherapy or any other local mh services for therapy. (long waiting lists) thats what happened for a friend of mine. for me things were a bit more complex but as said by poiple there are lots of different talking therapies.

private therapy starts around 35 pounds i think.

hope this helps Christine x

Its good to try different aproaches, everyone is different so the same ones don't work for everyone.

are you having CBT at the moment? if you are they might be able to refer you to a differnt department, that was how it worked for me. or your doctor can refer you.

Ok thanks. I'll talk to them and see what they say. Waiting for new appointment now. Helps to know that that's not all there is so I can speak up instead of just going along with things. :wacko:

Archived