Mental Health Forums

Grandad Died Last Night, Just Need To Talk

hummm_mabbe

Hi there

Thanks for the words of support guys. Spoke to my dad and the funeral is on the 9th June, so am going to travel down south shortly before then. Both my sister and mum are definitely going to be there, so I am worried about that, but I just want to go because its about my grandad. I dont want to avoid this like I avoid everything else.

I would be lying if I said I was happy about seeing mum and sis, dont really know what I am going to do, but am hoping they will figure out its best we say very little to each other. At the same time though I feel like I have to talk to them at some point. I know my sis and I will never get on, and I know I wont have the relationship with my mum I wished I could have. The only thing I am worried about is if they start forcing the old "family positions" stuff, you know try and fall back into the same old ruts. TBH I just want to talk to them as though they are people I vaguely know. Have sent mum an email to tell her I will be there, didnt want to have to put any more burden on dad to relay messages and things and I suppose it feels better to have some sort of vague contact with mum before just showing up.

Think I will mostly have the old walls up that day.

Hey Ross thinking of you in these tough times, loss of grandad is one thing with all the emotion but dealing with other family members is another thing and can make things more tricky in that it can hinder you expressing your grief as you need to because you are seeing how others react or go into protector mode etc. Please take time for you. Having lost nan not long ago I went around busy sorting everyone else out and suppressed my own stuff then it came out all yuck. Found that emotion would come from nowhere , even weeks after when peeps assume your over it. Big hugs to you. I hope all runs smoothly.

Hi thanks Bumble

There wont be any expectation on me to really be doing anyhting or organising, just sort of turn up I guess. I think I just want to get it out of the way as soon as possible.

I think I may have moved past the grief thing already, I didnt really know my grandad at all and havent really spoken to him that much in my life. I think i was more sad for what might have been, and for how the last part of his life was lived. Maybe having that cry the other day was all that was in there.

As you say, will wait and see what comes out.

found it....needs cape tho http://www.hamleys.com/Rockin_Rabbit_%7C_Hamleys_Toys/711069,default,pd.html :wub:

:(i'm very sorry to read about your grandad ross and also the difficult situation that it creates with having to see your mum and sis.

of course its different losing a pet, but its made me realise grief can throw up so many unexpected emotions and difficulties. i think you are doing the best thing possible just letting it unfold and come out as it will.

take care xxx

Archived