Mental Health Forums

New Meds =/

CrippleAndStarfish

Heylo lovelies,

Okay, I'll keep it brief as my head is a bit foggy at the moment, aaaaand i've just typed the entire post out and then hit a button that deleted it. Fuming a little at that!! <_<

Over the past 6 weeks, I've put on nearly 2 stone, which means I'm now overweight. I've just been put on new meds - Mirtazapine - which I've discovered is notorious for increasing appetite and causing weight gain.

This scares the shit out of me, to be honest, as my self-control is soooo low right now, and I know that if i'm hungry I will just eat and eat and eat... Hell, I do that anyway even though I've never felt less hungry!

I don't know how to cope with this :( does anyone have experience of this medication, and coping with this side effect? Just feeling real pants about it.

xxx

I wish I could help Crippie but the only experience I have is failing to cope with this side effect and becoming a complete fat bastard, so I guess I'm not much use to you.

Hi Crippie,

I am on Paroxetine which is also notorious for putting on weight. Don't know about your meds but when i was losing weight the only advice i could give which could help you putting on weight is watching your portion size, when you feel hungry drink more water, have lots of fruit/veg etc cut up in fridge so if you want to nibble, eat that and its ready.You can also buy freezer pops dead cheap that are sugar free - pop in the freezer and nibble on those if you feel hungry - hardly any calories as mainly ice! The other thing i do is not to buy lots of crap - if you don't have it in the cupboards - you can't eat it!!!

Hope someone comes on with some better advice

Maddie xxx

((((Data)))) I understand that feeling, I really do. I don't think I've seen any recent pictures of you, but for what it's worth, I don't think you're a "complete fat bastard" as you put it. In the pics i've seen, you look very tall (?) so the only thing I can think is that if you are overweight, then the weight has spread rather balanced. xxx

Hiya Maddie,

Those are really good ideas, thankyou for sharing them. (((Maddie)))

I really struggle with having snacky crappy stuff around - I've got 4 corner shops practically on my doorstep, and town is only a 10 minute walk away with alsorts of cheap Muchie-Selling goodness such as B&M Bargains, Home Bargains, Iceland, etc.... So that is definately something I need to focus on - stopping buying the bloomin' things! haha.

xxxx

Crippie - u r welcome sweetie :D

We all struggle with buying crap - I have little Tesco's round corner and they always do nice cakes,pastries etc - why is it the bad food always tastes so nice!!!!

Data - I have seen photo and i don't think you are a fat bastard either - but then its what you think when you look in the mirror - I know i am fat as classed as obese at 14 stone - 2 c sections broken pelvis and depression haven't helped :crying_anim02:

Maddie x

Crippie,

I am on mirtazipine and found that the main thing with them is that my appetite wasn't satisfied easily and I found that I snacked loads. I would say try to make sure you have regular meals and find snacks that are as healthy as possible, I tend to try not to buy biscuits and chocolates unless I fancy a treat as when they are there I will scoff them all one after the other. I buy alot of fruit now, so that if I am peckish a couple of apples, oranges or bananas are a much healthier option.

I would try to eat healthily without becoming too obsessive over food as I know you struggle with this.

On a plus note mirtazipine for me has helped in terms of lifting my moods although the mirtazipine dreams as I call them are pretty full on. When I was getting used to them I used showers to help kick the grog and fog, and baths to help relax and calm me down as they caused me to be irritable at times.

I hope that helps, big hugs

Jamie

xxx.

hey crippie

i am on seroquel which is another one for major increased appetite. i asked my pdoc if i could come off it...so he increased my dose! :blink:

anyway, he said the increased appetite wont go away :( BUT since that appointment i seem to have got a handle on it.

if ur hungry, eat, but can u eat healthy stuffs? i know it seems simple when its really hard but i have found that each time i dont give in to the hunger, the next time is easier

((((((((crippie))))))))

, aaaaand i've just typed the entire post out and then hit a button that deleted it. Fuming a little at that!! <_<

hey hun... next time that happens, try pressing CTRL and Z at the same time, hopefully should bring it back :)

Thanks for that Manja as i did the same thing the other day after typing a mini essay !

Maddie x

hey crippie

i am on seroquel which is another one for major increased appetite. i asked my pdoc if i could come off it...so he increased my dose! :blink:

anyway, he said the increased appetite wont go away :( BUT since that appointment i seem to have got a handle on it.

if ur hungry, eat, but can u eat healthy stuffs? i know it seems simple when its really hard but i have found that each time i dont give in to the hunger, the next time is easier

((((((((crippie))))))))

....Really? I mean... really?!?! I'm on Seroquel too.... did not know that. Bummer! :mellow:

I don't like healthy food... lol. I know that sounds really weird, but i'd much rather make a pizza on the morning and then just pick at that all day than have a few pieces of fruit or something lol!!

hugs hun xxx

Hi Crip, I was on mirtazepine for about a year and very quickly became aware that it was going to screw me over on the weight issue. I eventually came off it having lost some weight but my god it was hard to do. My view was that if it was going to have a positive effect on my mental health then I would stick with it and if it wasnt for the ed issues I would have continued. Knowing I was going to have to fight the meds every day was just too much in the end. I know thats not very positive but I wish Drs & Psychs would think good and hard before prescribing drugs that have known weight gain side effects to individuals with eating/weight related issues. If you want to chat you know where you can catch me ;) Take care and stay safe, Russ.

I was recently put on Olanzapine 2.5mg a day for severe anxiety after being diagnosed with GAD, OCD, BPD and Aspergers. (Not all at the same time.) I'd lost about 2 stone in the 4-5 months previous.

It was only when I read that weight gain was a side effect of Olanzapine that I started having very severe anxiety about my weight. I've always been quite slim, and I've never been the type to be counting calories or ever be on a diet, but ever since I started taking Olanzapine it's become a huge factor in my life. I can't eat a single meal with feeling such anxiety that I'll get nauseous, and on the rare occasion I can actually swallow anything I immediately have to vomit it back up in case I put on weight.

I guess what I want to know is whether anyone else has had the same problem on Olanzapine? Is it possible to develop an eating disorder because of medication? Any help would be hugely appreciated. I've tried explaining to my family but they just tell me not to be stupid. Thanks.

I was recently put on Olanzapine 2.5mg a day for severe anxiety after being diagnosed with GAD, OCD, BPD and Aspergers. (Not all at the same time.) I'd lost about 2 stone in the 4-5 months previous.

It was only when I read that weight gain was a side effect of Olanzapine that I started having very severe anxiety about my weight. I've always been quite slim, and I've never been the type to be counting calories or ever be on a diet, but ever since I started taking Olanzapine it's become a huge factor in my life. I can't eat a single meal with feeling such anxiety that I'll get nauseous, and on the rare occasion I can actually swallow anything I immediately have to vomit it back up in case I put on weight.

I guess what I want to know is whether anyone else has had the same problem on Olanzapine? Is it possible to develop an eating disorder because of medication? Any help would be hugely appreciated. I've tried explaining to my family but they just tell me not to be stupid. Thanks.

Hi, and welcome,

I've not been on Olanzapine before, but it sounds as though you starting it has made you more aware of your weight, which has lead to unhealthy thoughts and behaviours surrounding food and eating. I'm not in a good place right now so struggling to put a sentence together, but with regards to your family, it can be hard for others to realise the seriousness of certain things.

It sounds as though your eating has become restricted, and you mention purging - making yourself sick - too.... It's good that you've tried explaining what's going on to your family and I'm sorry to hear they're not being supportive (it isn't stupid, by the way - it is a very real, and can be a very serious, problem for a lot of people), but I wonder, have you thought about contacting your GP?

They will have experience in dealing with issues surrounding food, and should be able to aide you in getting some support.. perhaps to see a dietitian to help you create a healthy meal plan that you feel able to stick to so you don't make yourself poorly, and they may also help with a referral to counselling or therapy to give you the space to discuss your issues..... Also, it might even be that they look into changing medications for you, as everyone has different reactions to meds, so it can take some chopping and changing before you find one that works well for you. Hope that makes sense.

Crip. xxx

Thanks for the quick response :) Sorry to hear you're having a rough time at the moment.

I mentioned the problem to my pysch when I saw him last week, and he said I could either come off the Olanzipine and try fish oil instead..., or just keep going with it. I'm scared to come off it, because it's really the only thing holding me together at the moment. I don't sleep without it.

Another thing is my diet has always been quite odd to most people. I can't eat anything that is green in colour (pysch thinks its something to do with the Aspergers) but thats never been a problem for me, bar some altercations with my grandmother at the dinner table.

I don't know what to do really. I've got three weeks worth of tablets left but after that I'm pretty much on my own.

olanzepine was the beginning for my weight issues. I had always been slim until then. When I came off it I lost too much weight but I never had the same perspective about my weight ever again. Now on seroquel and again I am sooo overweight I have big issues with purging I hardly eat much I really try to keep a lid on it but no matter how much I restrict I find I hardly lose any weight. I think these drugs strengthen ed issues if you have the kind of mind that's going to be triggered.

....Really struggling with this today.

Didn't get out of bed til nearly 1pm, didn't eat anything until about 6, and since then all i've done is stuff my face. Grrrr.

Hate this.

:crying_anim02:

Crippie,

Sorry honey - tomorrow is another day - what might be better for you is if you can keep to your routine of 3 meals or 4 small meals, i try and do that - i have to get up anyway because of meds - i have small breakfast with them and then go back to bed lols!

I am thinking of joining online Weightwatchers as they are doing special offer at the moment for 3 months - sick of being fat and having dislocated shoulder can't use gym or swim for 2 months min. :(

Maddie x

Archived