Mental Health Forums

Going Into Respite

Roses

Tomorrow afternoon I check in for my first stay in respite care. I'm booked in from tomorrow to Sunday 12th. Part of me is looking forward to a rest after all the work (see house refurb thread) and the holidays and more holidays that the kids have had over the last few weeks, but part of me is terrified. They have a computer room there and that so I'll still be around, not sure why I'm posting really. Guess I just wanted to share.

(((Roses)))

I'm sure the idea must be really scary, but if it's going to give you some time to get a break from things then I think it will be a really good thing.

You know I'm always here for you if you want to talk hun.

Take care.

XX

ta rosey posey if when i come into money ill rings ya n dont worry too much i was in one when preggy it was kinda nice not to cook n have loads of workers to run to. plus quiet mmmm take me in ur pocket lovey besides they can sort out that med thing for u with a close eye on yas :wub:

Hi (((rosy)))

Have a good rest. House diy stuff is very stressful imho, never mind everything else

I would bring in stuffs so as not to get bored, good there is a puter room there too.

I hope they mind you well, take care, love & hugs, am xxxx

Roses - hope u get a lovely rest and we will look forward to your posts letting us know how you get along - try and chill after all your recent hard work :D

Maddie

Thank you all so much. The support on this thread is blowing me away. Yeah, they reckon if I have regular breaks during the year it might stop the cycle of pain that I seem to go through. Funny, 4 years with other MH team and they never mentioned it, I didn't think I was eligible as these places were for long-term. Just goes to show how little they actually cared for me at all. It actually feels good to be able to say "I need a break" and have someone offer you some help instead of the old team where they said, "help, what is this"? I had a duty appt last Autumn with old team where Mike and I went in telling them how bad I was and we needed help and they literally said "what do you want us to do about it" - well thankfully that is all in the past now. Although I'm scared and I'll miss Mike and the kids it is empowering to think I am actually helping us all by getting some rest. x

Roses

I dont post very often but can you tell me how and where you got your help for respite care

I would be very grateful

Hope all goes well for you

Have a nice rest Rosie Rose. If you feel like posting, let us know how you're doing xxxxxxxxxxxx

Understand you may feel uneasy - this is a new situation for you AND your family. Just keep an open mind and see how you go xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Roses,

I hope your respite stay helps. I think it would help if you had a particular goal in mind for your stay. Think about what you want from this respite stay. Use your time wisely. Especially if they are going to be somewhat regular in your treatment.

Rest, rest, rest! Yes, rest, and work on a goal. You'll feel good about your accomplishments. Maybe start by making a list of things you'd like to do. Maybe some grief work? Or letters to loved ones? Or goals for a relationship? And then decide what the first step would be. Little, by little, accomplishing these goals will give you strength and positivity.

I will keep thinking of you and if you need anything, please let me know.

Love you,

Nina

Thanks to you all again. Nina, I think this is a good idea, setting some goals. I'm taking my cardmaking stuff in there as I plan to just spend time. I'm going to make myself sit and rest and I may even be having naps in the day (something I never do at home unless I'm dying of some bug or infection). They have various clubs and activities at the centre and one day they take you to a day centre for art group and they have karaoke and pizza one night on weekend that sort of thing. So if I want to engage I can, if I want to just chill I can. On Saturday I'm planning to go get some jeans as I've been struggling to get right size (UK 12/14 with 32" inside leg) and I need some tops so my goal for Sat is to spend a couple of hours in town. Luckily respite is only 10 min bus ride from town.

Sadz, good to see you again. It was my CPN (I say mine as although I have not been officially told she is mine she is sticking around) who referred me into it. What support are you getting? I'm guessing your psychiatrist / duty team could refer you in too, not sure. xxx

Good luck hun, wish i was there with you xx could have a right ol giggle.

Also great job on doing up the house. I want to work on mine aswell, but still haven't gotten around to starting.

Hope everything goes well at the respite hun, u deserve a break xxxx huggles

See u around, and i will try to reply to ur email babe xxxx

Hey Roses,

It's great you have been given this option to take a break every now and again. I really hope it does you the world of good and it sounds like a really good place.

Get yourelf rested and do things in there for you. Nina's idea about setting some goals is a good one.

About the jeans... Have you tried New Look or Dorethy Perkins? I know they do 32" legs or there abouts. As i got a few pairs recently and had to get them turned up (they didn't have the ones i wanted in my 29/30" leg size).

Happy Shopping and Happy Resting.

Aurora :)

Hey Roses this sounds like a really god idea give your self a break before you are a t breaking point. I can only dream. Hope you have a really chilled and marvellous time yo sure as hell deserve it. Take care my friend. xxxxxx

Thanks everyone, yeah the shops I've been in only doe 31 or 33 which is too long or short but I will find some I'm sure. Well I've been here since 1.30 and didn't move off from the couch until now. I already feel a surge of relief and a sense of relaxation just knowing I can do what I like for a short while. Back at home the lino is being laid and the skip has gone apparently so when I go for a home visit on Mon (I'm staying here until then) it should be pretty much all done - yippee! xxx

Hi, well I arrived and had a manic hour cleaning my room then a wave of tiredness overcame me and I literally just sat for hours watching TV, had a lie down and slept really well (well for me). I woke up yesterday morning to a short poem I must have writte when I was asleep (which freaked me out as it would) but apart from that I have been ok. Went into town and got my jeans and a nice top and some other little bits I needed. Today am planning on cinema and Asda and going to dye my hair later. Staff said they would help me. I was really worried about coming here but now I'm here I feel safe. Only thing is I didn't get the nice rooms with their own loo/shower I have to share a bathroom with a man who has bedroom near me. But it's OK as staff said I can use old staff shower which was nice of them and I do have a sink in my room and a door with my own little kitchen. Tonight I'm going to have a brocolli and gruyere chees quiche for tea if Asda do them.

Archived