Mental Health Forums

Being Allowed To Choose Which Next Med You Go On?

Dice

Okay so I am just wondering if any one else has being allowed to choose which next med they go on???

As I have been given info on two different Antidepressants and I can pick which one I want to try and I could even give them both a go my CPN told me, I have never ever heard of any one being allowed to pick what meds to go on... And to be honest it is freaking me out a little bit...

It feels like because I have a HUGE fear of being control by AnitD's and AnitP's ect I have been on in the past, That they're doing it this way so I have the control over it and will stay on it and not stop after so long because my fear has took over again, Like it always does... Plus they're slowly starting to trust me again * I think * With meds, Any way I am going on here, So...

Has any one been allowed to choose which med you go on next??? And How did it make you feel being allowed to pick which med???

upto now i have had a big input on what meds i take and the dosage, i suggested lithium which he agreed with after i read that someone here had found it really life changing.

how ever my doc has moved on after 3 years and i dont know what the next person will be like. xxxxxxxxxx

hey cubey

i had the same pdoc as pammy and i also had a huge input into my meds. i suggested the anti-d then later asked for the anti-p, to which he agreed.

i think we should have a say - its our body we r putting this stuff into

xx

Hey Dicey, I've had a bit of input, more recently anyway.. My psych has suggested things and let me go away and look them up and decide which to try. I prefer having that choice as I've had problems with believing they're trying to control me so actually having choice seems to alleviate that a little. Plus like toastie said it's what we're putting into our bodies so should have some say! xxx

Thank you both :] ... That's really good, You both have a big input on what med's you go on and things... Yeah I agree with you Poppy Pop Tart, I do think we should have a say BUT it worries me, Having a choose of two or maybe trying both...

I feel like if I pick one and it doesn't help me, Then they'll turn around and say " No more goes on AnitD's as you have been on so many... " You know :blink: ...

PLUS a big plus o.O I feel now as I have to pick, I want to look on the net and see if one of them might be better for you know what :blink: , NOW not sayin I am planing on doing anything like that but yeah... ARGH!!!

Hey Dicey, I've had a bit of input, more recently anyway.. My psych has suggested things and let me go away and look them up and decide which to try. I prefer having that choice as I've had problems with believing they're trying to control me so actually having choice seems to alleviate that a little. Plus like toastie said it's what we're putting into our bodies so should have some say! xxx

Alright m'dear :]Thank you, Oh thats good, I really can't believe you lot all have the input on what meds you go on and things... I have info on them both but no matter how much info I can get on them, The fear always seems to be there whether low or high... I dunno what to do now I have 2weeks to let her know or I can call on Monday and then they could sort out and get me on them straight the way :wacko: ...

maybe they think that if they encourage you to pick your own you may be more inclined to want to take them. maybe hun if its stressing you out and you are worried about choosing the one that will do the most damage, which i can totally understand, maybe tell them that you dont feel confident to make the decision and would appreciate them doing it? dunno, hope this helps a bit, dunno rambling tired person here. lol. xxxxxx

maybe they think that if they encourage you to pick your own you may be more inclined to want to take them. maybe hun if its stressing you out and you are worried about choosing the one that will do the most damage, which i can totally understand, maybe tell them that you dont feel confident to make the decision and would appreciate them doing it? dunno, hope this helps a bit, dunno rambling tired person here. lol. xxxxxx

Thank you :]... Yeah I guess, It is just really new to me and scare's me a bit if I am honest, Maybe I am just worrying too much about it, I dunno :wacko: ... I understand what your saying about sharing that with them BUT I can't because I have a feeling they wouldn't give me either of them or any other meds, If I said that... It has been like I think about a year and a half, I've waited to be allowed back on AnitD's again, Plus I am only allowed 7 day's worth each time <_< ... And it does help thank you and your not rambling at all :] , Bless you, Go and get yourself to bed and sleep m'darling >.< ...

I've been allowed to pick my meds a few times. Often my consultant would tell me which ones he thought and then let me go and google them. Then I'd go back and tell him which one I wanted.

I also went and asked for Quietiapine and Lamotrigine and got it :)

i'm only allowed mine every 7 daysd too. it's a nightmare but i know just why they do it.

take the chance now to think about what they have offered and look stuff up and ask people questions

I had a choice last time I changed mine. It has helped me stick to using them more wisely since I chose to be on them. I'm not sure if they'll let me of weekly prescriptions in te forseeable future though. I thnks its becoming more standard practice in psychiatry to offer choice and a sense of control.

Not so for docs in other areas of medicine though. I nearly had a big argument with a gyne the othr week who told me I should take prozac. I think he was a bit put out when I told him I had tried it for 18 months and the only think it did for me was made me gain weight (which is unhelpful in my case).

Do the research and choose - it's a good thing, and you can't do it wrong. They'l only be suggesting one that could help.

Hiya Dice,

That is pretty forward thinking from your care ppl. I'm jealous! I have a dominant kinkster with a strong dislike to me.

He thinks bpds with dependant personalities make the best slaves Oooooohhhhhh :mad0233:

(some of the stuff has gone off the internet since (have cached copy) and was told i can see a new one on the 15th.

With the drs there always seems to be a power struggle- I am the patient and he has the power... well, i have had a dom dr for over a yr now, be nice to have a normal one this June.

I've said it about 50 times on here, but if looking for info on meds igo to www.askapatient.com. Has 1,000s of reviews for any med from real ppl, - you can even email them.

It is only right that you should have an input- i mean, (in my case) they see me every 6-8 weeks to hand me my script,

after a mini chat lasting less than 5 mins.

Maybe it is in our nature to look up how dangerous our meds could be? I have done it, and recently too. Not that I meant it... you know what i mean?

It does sound like they are trusting you more. Any psych patient i know r/l gets their meds weekly. Some poor fu*kers get them daily.

I hope you do make an informed choice, and glad you are ok to be back on anti-p's again, they do help a lot in reducing crisis. and angry outbursts / paranoia for me. Wish you the very best with it ((dice))love , hugs xx a.m

Archived