Mental Health Forums

Cant Go Back To This Pdoc

Elke

I was thinking about the behavior of the new pdoc I have and realised I cant go back. Would you???

First he tells me the advantages of Benzos and that most people dont succeed in withdrawing from them. And he prescribes me Benzos, after I told him my pdoc would not prescribe them to me and I was terrified of the clinic, where I would have to go. Ergo= he knew from the start that I am addicted.

I had very few visits to him because I have gotten tired of starting a new therapy, I just see no sense in starting all over again. When I called for a prescription, they even offered to send it to me and I let them. I did go see him a few times and talked a bit, cancelled one appointment and just kept going for med prescriptions.

So I decided it was time to go see him personally again, I was feeling guilty. And there really was a problem I needed help with. When I walked in the receptionist asked me if I needed a prescription. I saw that they were going on holiday soon and I said well since they werent going to be here, yes I would like one. When the pdoc called me to him, I said I hadnt been to see him for a while and have a problem I would like to talk about. He said he DIDNT want to talk about my problem he wanted to talk about all the prescriptions and that he feels like a prescription orderer. Besides, if I take all these Benzos I will become addicted (Wtf!? see last line of 2nd paragraph). When I tried to talk to him, his comment on my problem was: I am not a miracle worker. When I told him I did not come in this time for a prescription, but after being ASKED if I wanted and seeing that they were going on holiday I said yes, was STOP BLAMING MY ASSISTANT FOR THIS.

So: He does not want to help me with problems. And now he thinks I should come off the Benzos.

He´s not making much sense to me and confusing me. I am not abusing him like he makes it sound like.

Elke

Hi Elke,

I'm sorry, I've not got anything great or of any real importance to say, but just wanted to agree with you that this psych really does sound confusing, and that I feel for you, and hope you get it sorted soon.

Are you able to see a different psych? sorry, you may have mentioned and i've missed it, as my brain is pretty much shutting down at the moment.

Hope you get this sorted, he sounds like a bit of a idiot to be honest, and i know my head would be reeling after the encounter you've had with him.

Crip

xx

Hi Elke - Long post, but I hope it is all relevant to you.

I was thinking about the behavior of the new pdoc I have and realised I cant go back. Would you???

After reading your post, I can see why you feel your psychiatrist has confused you.

I know that you know that benzos have very limited advantages. Also, I hope I am right in saying that I think that you know that people do successfully come off benzos, so his comment is invalid.

I know from previous posts on here that you are struggling with benzos, just like me, but I don't know where you are with them now.

I also think, like you, the clinic is no place for you, because of the way they take people off benzos too fast. Many others have gone to clinics and detoxes to get off benzos, and of all these people, many end up having to go back on benzos simply because they were taken off too quick, just like you.

Starting a new therapy may be a good idea, but not with this doctor you are describing here. Starting a new therapy may be useful in helping you develop your skills in dealing with worry and negativity. You don't need to start from scratch, if you can find a therapist who you can tell them that you already have had therapy. Identify what you want out of good therapy and tell them this, professionals always seem to like to hear what they can do for the patient, I get asked "What do you think we can do for you"

As this doctor is so cold I can undserstand why you miss appointments with him, as it seems like you dont feel they will dso you any good, but a different therapist?

Not all professionals are this cold and cynical, its just that the bad ones give all of them a bad name.

As you were feeling guilty, maybe you were in a vulnerable place to start with, but you had your reasons for cancelling.

There is a problem you need help with and it dosen't seem like you are getting it.

Can you write this problem down and show it to professionals?

It's a pity that this doctor couldnt help you when you told him you had a problem you needed help with because he was so cold and dismissive.

When withdrawing from benzos, our doctors are prescription orderers, but it IS necessary for us to get prescriptions enough to taper from.

For instance, my doc keeps writing out benzo prescriptions, but she is happpy to, provided she is aware that I am tapering off them.

Your professionals need to know that you need enough benzos to come off safely. I worked out a taper plan and showed my doc originally. Parts of the taper had to be slowed, but my doctor was happy with me holding my dose as I wasnt asking for more than I needed, which I am sure you are also not asking for more than you need.

Your goal is to work together with a doctor who knows you are tapering and for that doctor to allow you to taper in as safe a way as possible.

Comments like "I am not a miracle worker" are not helpful at all, you need comments from the doctor like "I know you want to come off benzos safely, and provided you don't ask for more, I am perfectly happy to work with you to get off these destructive drugs safely".

When I told him I did not come in this time for a prescription, but after being ASKED if I wanted and seeing that they were going on holiday I said yes, was STOP BLAMING MY ASSISTANT FOR THIS.

This is accusatory from your doctor, again, not helpful. Maybe you could make him aware of the reasons why you felt you could not go through with the appointments you cancelled, using 'I feel' statements. 'I feel' statements stop people going on the defensive, because you are not accusing them in any way. Statements such as "I feel confused"

He thinks you should come off the benzos, but from what I gather, you also think you should come off, but not in the way your doctor means, but in a safe way, and not suddenly.

I am sorry you are having such a terrible time, I wish I could suggest helpful things other than what I posted, but I dont know the medical system in your country.

Has your doc ever read the ashton manual? Mine wouldnt read it until my drug worker showed her it, but once the drug worker showed her it she was more helpful. I did not hand the whole manual over, I just highlighted the bits that were relevant to me at that time.

I do know this, however, you deserve help in healing from any physician in charge of your healthcare, in this case, you deserve to be brought off benzos in as safe a way as possible.

I really feel for you and hope that there is something in this post that is helpful. I would also like you to post about any more obstacles you feel are standing in your way, only if it is alright with you to post though.

love sw x

Archived