Mental Health Forums

Facebook

pippab

Does anyone else get pissed off with all the happy happy people on facebook.... Dont get me wrong, some are good friends and i'm glad they have a wonderful time doing things i could only dream of doing..whether that could be cause im too scared to go too far or try new things or just dont have the money cause im off on sickpay..

I know deep down its probably just jealousy but i need to rant about it... im sure all their happyness makes me worse sometimes..

I do always try to be quite upbeat and 'happy' in my posts and not 'bring people down' with my status' but arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh it does my head in sometimes! Bumholes!!!!

:bum:

:mad0233:

People bragging just because they are on Facebook and everyone is going to see it pisses me off.

It also annoys me when I post something about feeling down, and people tell me not to be negative! F*ck off! :bum:

well im certainly NOT bragging about having facebook...

the past few weeks i have have very bad depression and severe anxiety attacks and have not left the house for a long time (friday was the first time in three weeks of being in bed)

Facebook and on here and my bf are the only contact with the 'outside world' i have had

I was asking if it made anyone felt worse by people posting on facebook how much fun they have had/were having... i was not bragging... i was saying how much of a failure i feel for not being able to be that 'fun' person and wondering if anyone had the same feelings...

I am sorry that you misunderstood my post

No I meant I hate it when people go on facebook and brag about things, not that they have facebook! Like when they put in their status that their job is fantastic and stuff like that.

Sorry I didn't mean to sound mean!

lol.... thats the bit i didnt get... agreed with everything else you said but wondered why you thought i was bragging about being on fb...lol

Hey pippa, i reckon facebook lies...people post the best of themselves on there. You don't see the lonely moments, the crying, the boredom.

If you looked at my profile, you'd probably think i was pretty normal. Sure i'd think the same if i looked at yours.

A girl i know who seems so happy and confident told me she quit faceook cos it made her feel insecure. Think it does the same for a lot of people.

Its useful ina lot of ways, but people do tend to put all the good stuff up and not the bad.

I'm gonna tell you all a little secret! The people living the really cool lives, clubbing, travelling and living the dream life with masses of close friends and wonderful families, they don't go on facebook because they are living their lives!

Most of the time when people say their job is brilliant etc etc thats because they want it to be!!!

Some people really like showing off and sharing every little bit of their lives with each other - when we are having a shit day everyone having a great day is sure gonna piss us off!!! It does get me down when i see other people and what they are doing/achieving but realistically the "happy" people genuinely don't let us know when things are going wrong - thats why we think they are having such a great life.

All i think about is walk in my shoes for a day and then see how happy you are!

Maddie x

I'm glad it's not just me who feels this way then...... I know some people are happy.. moving house or had a baby...etc... and i do feel happy for them ..but also feel sad thats not me doing that...

I think its getting to me more cause ive been cooped up in bed for weeks on end and like you've all said... people only post the happy stuff .... I need to get out more and meet some grumpy people like me

i'll be posting on here soon and asking why are 'real life' people such bumholes...lol

i get the same thing i have fb but i also have alot of family mainly on there that don't know my state of mind and some old school freinds to and i haven't put up anything of sadness, and boy have i had some this yr i do feel like i live a double life happy happy masking all that im really doing which is nothing, i don't tend to post alot on fb, i just tend to leave out the bad stuff i think alot of people do cos deep down all the hurt is to personal to be putting out on fb,

where its for everyone to see, and sometimes it does look like some peeps are just having one big party but ya know thats not always the case, life just ain't like that is it just think alot of peeps like to keep there dramatic heart breaking stuff off of fb and look like they are having a ball.... or as i said its way to personal to put out on fb mosly.....i know my kids do that ya wouldn't know there is anything wrong at all..... moving house is soooo stressful and having a baby is too, there are too different sides to a story on fb hun the side and the side we just want to keep to ourselfs i spose, ..... or something like that ....

edit double typing repeating myself sorry xox

My mind is falling asleep on me at the moment, so I do apologise for the probably nonsensical reply, but you are by no means alone.

I'm 20, and i'm unemployed due to being permanently signed off as am too ill (mentally) to work, I've not been to Uni, I dropped out of college due to depression, and I am also a mum to a 4 year old boy (was a month before i turned 16 that i gave birth).

I go on fb and i see people forever on about their fabulous job, their superfast new car, their ridiculously high marks at uni, their wonderful boyfriends...... and my heart either sinks and i end up crying, or my heart hammers against my ribcage and I feel like i could punch the ignorant bastards!!!

Oooooh, facebook tied me up in knots, lol!!!

On the flipside, though, I talk quite openly about my issues (BPD, depression, self-harm, eating disorder, etc etc) on facebook, and will occasionally get a nice comment or a question about something i've mentioned from one of the ignorant idiots, which makes me stop and think.... like the other day, i got a message from someone who i knew in school, but wasn't very close to, who said "hi there, i know we've not spoken in a while, but i noticed you mentioned in a status recently that you'd been put on mirtazapine for depression.... My doc wants to put me on these, can you tell me a bit about your experience so far with them please?"

And i answered her honestly and openly. So, i like the whole awareness side of it, because for a long, long, LONG time i was so ashamed of all my issues, but now, i just (most of the time!!) think "well, this is me, like it or lump it".

...orry, i've blathered on, LOL!!!

xx

hi :)

I used to feel the same way as you - a lot of people from school added me on facebook and whenever I read their status i.e. I love my husband, bought our first house, love my work as [place job here]. I would fill up with this jealous rage and hate them. Especially since the majority of these people, I hadn't been friends with in school, they had bullied me. They added me, I believe, for either 'numbers' on their friends list or because they felt guilty (long story).

I ended up deleting a lot of people about 18 months ago - I went from about 100 friends to 10 :lol: The people who mattered (I guess this is a bit BPD of me...) re-added me. This made me feel quite good, knowing they had noticed I had deleted them. The rest can fuck off :)

I used to be quite negative on facebook - I didn't really have anything to be positive about. I lived in my bedroom, complete with toaster, took drugs, starved myself, didn't wash, didn't go out. So I had nothing to talk about.

Is it ok for me to say that I am one of those 'happy' people now? As in, I am a lot LESS negative on facebook. I have found, because of this, more people are inclined to talk to me, comment on my status etc. I know some people may think, 'real friends would be there regardless...'...I used to think that. But now I can see how much hard work I was, how I would bring other people down. True friends, the ones I have had for a long time, have stuck around. But now I am able to make friends and KEEP them because I am more likeable to be around.

I'm not saying other people aren't likeable to be around. I just know, from experience and from feedback, that other people simply didn't know how to approach me - walking on eggshells...

I am a member of certain groups on facebook, mental health, BPD groups and so forth...if I am feeling shitty, I post there.

Am I a little bit smug on facebook sometimes? Yes. But I think I have earned it. I went from nothing to having a life. From living in my bedroom and being a drug addict, I have completed my first year in college, volunteer, starting to train as a counsellor in September and am in a relationship.

I guess I can see it from both sides.

I've actually deactivated my account because I couldn't stand seeing all the happy people... which sounds horrible in itself! I'm really jealous of my friends who are getting married and having children and those with fabulous jobs. Or so they say. I did post about if I was stressed but never if I was sad, and it reminds me of this quote I read:

"Just because her eyes never tear doesn't mean her heart doesn't cry. And just because she comes off strong doesn't mean there's nothing wrong."

I think that is like on facebook, people often won't completely open up. I'll only open up to those people I trust (a very select few), on a forum or on my anonymous blog.

I am sorry you feel your point is being ignored badman... Apart from unlucky i have not yet replied to anyone... I have just listened and read what others have to say and what they think.

I understand you saying people (like me) who have no life and are stuck inside thier own little worlds are the one's who live on/through facebook...

and i also understand there are plenty of friends out there who make out that they are living the life of riley and behind closed doors are not. What makes me feel bad are the one's who ARE out and having fun and posting piccis of hols... concerts and festivals that they are going to ...even just a night with a group of friends at the local indian and then on to a club..... all the fun stuff i wish i could do. I'm not saying they are happy 24-7 but sometimes it feels like im the only one that is stuck inside and is alone... I can understand why people have deleted their accounts and it can sometimes make them feel a 'failure' too ... I will work on getting a life

or maybe the original poster just wants her feelings validated?! theory can be remarkably easy at times.

I was validating them in a remarkably easy way!

I am sorry you feel your point is being ignored badman... Apart from unlucky i have not yet replied to anyone... I have just listened and read what others have to say and what they think.

I understand you saying people (like me) who have no life and are stuck inside thier own little worlds are the one's who live on/through facebook...

and i also understand there are plenty of friends out there who make out that they are living the life of riley and behind closed doors are not. What makes me feel bad are the one's who ARE out and having fun and posting piccis of hols... concerts and festivals that they are going to ...even just a night with a group of friends at the local indian and then on to a club..... all the fun stuff i wish i could do. I'm not saying they are happy 24-7 but sometimes it feels like im the only one that is stuck inside and is alone... I can understand why people have deleted their accounts and it can sometimes make them feel a 'failure' too ... I will work on getting a life

Sorry hunny that is not what I meant at all. I am not saying people that use facebook are sad or have nothing. Facebook is huge I would never make such a sweeping statement. I was trying to say the people that spend 24/7 boasting about their fantastic lives aren't living those lives because otherwise they would be doing that not continually bragging on face book.

Archived