Mental Health Forums

Lorazepam (Sp?) - Ladies And Gents, Experiences Please!

CrippleAndStarfish

Well, the Crisis Team have just informed me that they're considering putting me on Lorazepam as a PRN medication, and i'm just thinking, there must be someone here who's on it/been on it, right?

So, please do feel free to share experiences good, bad, and downright nutty.

xxxxxxxx

Hiya christine hun,

I'd heard that it's addictive too. That is something that bothers me... would it still affect me that way if only taken when absolutely necessary? Or does that depend on a whole host of other things?

thanks for replying hun, it sounds like you've had (have?) a decent experience with it.

xxxxx

is it bad of me to say im jealous?! not jealous u r feeling so bad, but the docs would NEVER put me on anything ending in 'pam' purely cuz im an addict...

im sorry u r feeling so bad u need this. it is good the crisis teal are helping you.

ive had lorazapam a few times, administrated in hospital, intravenously. i had very high doses and (this may sound really bad...) it sent to me to the moon.

some people may not like that feeling. but i fucking loved every minute of it...i was so high i couldnt feel low. it relaxed every muscle in my body (i was spasming cuz i was tense) an...ye...it did the trick

((((((((crippie))))))))

toast xx

i had it when in hospital so they controlled its use. thing is if you use it only when absolutley neccary then as it feels good you might be tempted to take more and more. if they are going to control it with you then that should be ok, ifyou only use it for a short time, eg amonth or so. sorry very tired

I have Lorazepam along with zopoclone that I take as and when needed. You do have to be very careful as it is really addictive but I swear by it. I only take it when I am really bad as I don't want to abuse the trust they have given me, and also, I find them so good I don't want to become used to them and so lose the effect they have.

I really don't have any down sides at all, they are very quick at working and I sleep great on them. I do have nightmares often but never when I've taken a Lorazepam. The first time I took one knocked me out for about 2 days I think, but, I had previously gone 5 days with no sleep at all. I have found it can take a little while to come round the next day, but as in a normal sluggy way rather than a feeling doped up kind of way, if that makes sense?

I do suffer extreme anxiety but am usually ok for a couple of days after taking them as well as them helping me the day of using them.

If you do go on them I really hope they work as well for you as they do for me

I've had a positive experience with lorazepam. It was given to me whilst in hospital and for a week afterwards.

I didn't find it addictive as such but when I asked them to prescribe more they wouldn't out of fear of me becoming addicted. It helped me through a bad time. Mainly just relaxed me and made things seem a bit more manageable. I was told they often normally give it to elderly or violent patients (I am neither so not sure why they gave me it?!) Since that time they have never offered it again but have given me diazepam which is fast acting and lasts for longer in your system (I think)

Good luck with it hun, I hope you find it helpful too xx

((((((((((((Toastie)))))))))))) no, it's not bad at all.

tbh, that is something that i'm getting really, unnaturally excited about - the getting off my face on it thing.

I've always...well, since being about 9, so 11 years.... been on some sort of search for stuff that will get me if not high, then spaced, or just allow me to drop off the planet for a while. Started with solvents - aerosol, glue, air freshener.... moved onto weed, from weed to mushrooms, to mescaline, to salvia..... used to nick my mum's fella's valium when he was laid there on the sofa off his face after chasing it with a can or two...

Crisis team know all this about me too, so i'm questioning how wise it is of them to put me on something that, first chance i get, i'll prob end up abusing.... but hey ho. i'm not gunna pull them up about it if they're too fking lax to bother reading my caseloads properly.

I realise how detrimental to my recovery that kinda thinking is, and i do admit, part of me just wants to beg them not to put me on it so i can avoid it all, but then theres that bit in my belly that's tugging me at it. I dunno, it's hard to explain, i think.

Thanks for your input Toast hun, really appreciate it.

((((((((Toastie))))))))

xxxxxxx

Hi ((crippie))

What everyone else said.

I am on alprazolam (xanax) for panic attacks etc. - and i find loraz almost the same- lasts a bit longer in the system than xanax, which is a good thing.

If you can use it P.r.n. and not be 'recreational' with it , you would prolly feel beter, Anx reduced a lot.

In sayin that, I have a xanax habit, i only take whats perscribed, or save up a couple for stuff like 'the weekly grocery shop' etc.

As toaster says, they r addictive, and it took me about a yr of pleading to get a reg script for them.

Better to take a loraz rather than s/h tho?

Also - i found when the anx gets 'cured' there can be depression under it, if ya get me.

Hope you are ok tonight xx love am

I was an addict once, I have also longed for that feeling of dropping off the planet for a while and so was VERY surprised when they gave me lorazepam, especially when they left it to my discretion on when I used it! It sent my paranoia sky high lol wondering what they were up to but, at our doctors at least, the system alerts them if you ask for more than you should. I only get 6 tablets at a time so they keep a good eye on how often I get more, so give me a bit of trust without the ability to totally abuse

oh, wow, in the time it took me to reply to Toastie i've had loads of replies. thankyou, you guys. xxxxxx

Gunna try reply to you all now, but will have to be quick as meds are working to turn my brain off, but am waiting on crisis team coming round too.

Christine - they said that they would monitor me closely while taking them "if they thought it necessary"... i don't understand what they mean by that, but, i guess if they take a peek at my history drug-wise, then they'll def be thinking it necessary. xxxxx

Walker - i'm sorry that they won't let you have them anymore - that must be really shit if you felt that they helped you hun. thankyou for well wishes, lovely. xxxxx

Shailaine - what you've said about them helping you over a period of a few days has really made me smile - it sounds really good, and i'm glad that it's helping you so much..

It does make sense, what you say about the slugginess the next day. I get like that from Quetiapine and Mirtazapine (my current medications, both sedative, both give me fuggy med-hangovers in the morning). Thankyou hun :) xxxxxx

Anabas - i'm so glad you've had a good experience with it too. It sounds like everyone loves it!! lol thankyou for sharing your story with me. :) xxxx

Kitteh - i get you, I sooo get you.

that's something that i've been talking about with crisis recently - what the hell am i supposed to do if i get rid of the anx and there's some other shit there under it to deal with? - has been a big Q of mine, and one which they've skirted around answering, which tells me that i'm probably right in guessing that the anxiety is just another layer.

Yeah, that's why they want me to take it - to reduce my SH behaviour, as, not going anywhere near detail as am mindful there's no trig warning, but - has been a pretty regular occurance this past while.

my wake up call with it was when B said to me that i've been doing it a lot, and it makes it really hard for him to speak to me, with it being distressing and there being no real way he can support me when we're so far apart. that really got me thinking - him mentioning it, and i spoke to crisis team about it.... and this is their suggestion.

xxxx

Archived