Mental Health Forums

Bpd - Describe Your Meds

PlasticInsanity

I know that there isn't exactly a 'magic pill' for BPD, but some meds can help alleviate symptoms. I'm just wondering, which meds do you take and for which symptoms? And which symptoms are still existant without the meds?

I'm planning on talking to my doc about medication, so I'm just wondering after going on them what I might still be dealing (paranoia, possibly?).

Citalopram, 20mg - this is for depression and is meant to help to my anxiety, but I don't think it does help my anxiety. It does lift the depression - I asked for an increase in the dosage but my pdoc said no, he would rather me face the feelings during therapy <_< he has a point and I am managing my symptoms a lot better...but still! :rolleyes:

Quetiapine/Seroquel - this is an anti-psychotic but can be used as a mood stabiliser. I think it has helped me paranoia, stabilised my mood (I am no where near as manic). I did ask for this to be reduced because of weight gain...so he increased it! He likes to do the opposite of what I ask it seems!

I do want an anti-anxiety. I'm a nervous bloody wreck and very neurotic.

Hope your doctor can help you :) my pdoc started me on the anti-d first then the seroquel.

Toast xx

Citalopram, 20mg - this is for depression and is meant to help to my anxiety, but I don't think it does help my anxiety. It does lift the depression - I asked for an increase in the dosage but my pdoc said no, he would rather me face the feelings during therapy <_< he has a point and I am managing my symptoms a lot better...but still! :rolleyes:

Quetiapine/Seroquel - this is an anti-psychotic but can be used as a mood stabiliser. I think it has helped me paranoia, stabilised my mood (I am no where near as manic). I did ask for this to be reduced because of weight gain...so he increased it! He likes to do the opposite of what I ask it seems!

I do want an anti-anxiety. I'm a nervous bloody wreck and very neurotic.

Hope your doctor can help you :) my pdoc started me on the anti-d first then the seroquel.

Toast xx

Thanks for the reply! it's nice to know there's something that might help with the paranoia and depression, as they often go hand in hand.

What works for one may not work for another, I can understand your hope and concern.

I am still on Benzodiazepin and still trying to withdraw. THIS I would NOT advise letting yourself be prescribed - just in case - because they are highly addictive and withdrawal is pure hell.

I take Dipiperon for sleeping problems but that are only caused from withdrawal. Other than that, my pdoc isnt prescribing me anything. He just wants me off the Benzos.

I cant take any anti-depressant (tried out the whole lot of them) because the side effects are worse than the anti-depressive effect (kind of like beating the devil with the demon).

Elke

duloxetine - anti d

quetiapine - mood stabilzer - keeps being increased...........

are they helping????

You know I have no idea...............

AD = Fluvoxamine (aka Luvox). Best AD I've tried and I've tried a whole bunch. Has a sedating effect so it's good for anxiety too.

AD = Bupropion (aka Wellbutrin). Helps AD action and boosts energy.

AP = Aripiprazole (aka Abilify). Zyprexa and Geodon made me gain weight. Abilify doesn't do that to me. Cuts down the ruminating, paranoid thoughts, augments the AD and cools-off major mood up-swings.

MS = Lamotrigine (aka Lamictal). General mood stabilizer and a little AD action. Not sure how much this contributes to the cocktail, but figure it can't hurt to continue ;)

Amphetamines to control ADD symptoms and combat fatigue--also lifts mood a bit.

Clonazepam PRN -- rarely needed but nice to have in the event of a super stressor.

Ambien at bedtime so I can sleep through the night--always need a midnight snack though ;)

Going on meds you will get side effects like sweating lack of sex drive violent outbursts all sort I was on clomipromine and have taken sertraline and other meds to

Hello

I just thought id add my bit.

I take citalopram, an anti depressant, I took it for ages on and off not being regular with my meds and didnt feel the positives off it until i started taking it properly. I felt it didnt work, was very depressed about just over a year ago and then they increased my dosgae to 60 and i felt much much better, eventually i started more meds so the decreased it to 40.

I also take seroquel aka quitiapine, initially i took this to help regulate my sleep which it did, and then i was allowed to take it prn, as and when i needed it for anxiety, then when i felt the benefits the put me on it regularly, 100 at night.

Then i went nuts lol well drug induced psychosis, and the wacked my dosage upto 600 at night. and have been on it ever since. It is amazing for paranoia, seriously!!

It doesnt make me to sleepy anymore, but if i dont take it i definatly notice and get more manic.

I take lithium also, this has been very effective in my recovery. My mood tends to just stay relatively normal, maybe a little down at times, or a little high but nothing extreme. it has more or less irradicated my suicidal ideation, and i am so much better these days.

i say, for me, these three have saved my life.

good luck on your journey. meds really can make a difference to some!

Going on meds you will get side effects like sweating lack of sex drive violent outbursts all sort I was on clomipromine and have taken sertraline and other meds to

the only side effect i have had is increased appetite, which i try my hardest to manage. i am on seroquel, which is notorious for weight gain because of increased appetite, but through a healthier diet i have managed to LOSE 8lb in 6 weeks and pie has lost 12lbs on that time as well. i have found the benefits outweigh the negatives.

i know you are just having your say :) but meds affect everyone differently and i know a lot of people who have benefited from being on medication.

Hi I started of on a low dose of citalopram, eventually went up to 40mg , it did not really do much for me so was put on Mitazlapram(sp) that worked ok for a while then stopped working am now currently on Trazodone 50 mg in the morning and 150 mg at night unforantly that's not really doing much anymore as was put on it because it is a sedative based AD as I have sleeping problems and my GP is talking about upping the dose :( .

Thanks to everyone who replied. :) I'm glad I'm prepared now that the meds aren't guaranteed to work, and me and the doc will have to work on a cocktail that's right for me. That probably sounds corny but at least I'm not holding hope for it to work right away, and I can remind myself after I start on them since I know I can be discouraged easily.

i might be a nerd, but I'm kind of excited to go on them. it means there's a chance of nixing out the depression, anxiety, paranoia and suicidal thoughts.

I find meds very frustrating.

Over the last 10 yrs I have tried all the anti depressants. The only thing I found helped was Citalopram on a high dosage. But that only stopped me getting very low. It didn't help the big mood swings, obviously.

Recently in desperation my obstetrician gave me lamotrigine as last resort during my pregnancy because neither the neuro team or psych team wouldn't do anything.

I think that helped a little but it's only a very low dose.

Last week I saw a private dr, cos nhs are useless. He gave me seroquel. I only took the first dose cos it zombified me. I am too worried to take anymore cos I have a baby and toddler to look after and noone can help during the day.

So I am stuck, regarding meds. I haven't found anything to help and am getting very upset about it.

Hope you have better luck x x x

i'm not medicated for bpd.

i am however medicated for bipolar.

the nhs (on NICE guidence) are not meant to medicate for bpd as it's an emotional response but they are allowed to medicate for axis 1 (depression / bipolar)

Hiya, I am dx'ed 9 yrs & since '98 hae been on most everything in different 'cocktails'.

I am a lot less symptomatic of bpd atm, I am certainly not cured, but then I am not presenting at a&e fortnightly, which is a bonus.

My current meds are

xanax 0.5mg x 3 -for bad anxiety

lamictal 100mgs daily- i started this again today- i have it in my head that its useless but i never really gave it a fair trial tbh. usually never take it. I am going to journal every day for the next month to see does it make a difference as im kinda ambivalent about taking it but i have terrible mood swings.

75mg Prothiaden/ dothepin- a tricyclic older med. for depression. Does it work- i dunno. Maybe.

zopiclone 2 a night for sleep. they work but taste awful the next morning. They give me a little 'high' before i go asleep, and always feel muggy and fuzzy the next day so i don't take them much.

seroquel prn- for knocking meself out when i get into crises instead of doing anything daft. 25mg.

xx am

"...lamictal 100mgs daily- i started this again today."

Be careful starting at a high dose. There's a dangerous side-effect that is more likely if you start high instead of titrating up over a while.

Is it true the lower the dose of seroquel the more sedating it is? I am supposed to build up to 250 a day but too scared cos it zombified me. And it seroquel xl so it didn't fade off over the 24 hrs as it's slow release.

Really insure about it. I asked the pharmacist but she wasn't very informative.

Hiya :)

I'm currently on Seroquel (Quetiapine) 200mg taken on the evening. It does help balance my mood a bit, but it's still quite a low dose, so the sedative effects are really strong. Also, I don't hallucinate (auditory or visual) so I'm guessing it's working in that respect! However, I'll have a clearer idea of whether it's working well or not the next time the shit hits the fan, so i'll let you know. (I have periods of pseudo-psychosis when I'm extremely stressed). The plan is to gradually increase this too, so hopefully my moods will be calmer still (i know there's still plenty of 'em to calm! haha)

I'm also on Mirtazapine, the same dose i was started on....3 weeks? i think.... ago, which is 15mg. it's an anti-depressant, and tbh the only things i've noticed with this at the moment that are good are that my appetite is through the roof (not good from the eating disorder perspective, mind!), and that they knock me out unbelievably quickly. I've not noticed any improvement re: depression, but it's still early days. Also, negative side affect is that i can't poo :( Lovely, eh! But, tis true. Again, dosage gunna be increased sometime soon too.

The two combined give me one helluva long - though not necessarily good - night's sleep (i still wake several times through the night) but sleep for a long, long time! somewhere between 11-14 hours a night. I also wake up in the morning feeling like i've been hit by a truck, several cars, and then had a bunch o' wild horses stampede over me too. My stomach aches, my head feels fuggy, and i just feel a little like a zombie. This passes at about 1-2pm.

Hope that's of some help!

xxx

I take 20mg citalopram,I am not sure if they are working or not,Been on them about 4 months now,One good thing is i have lost 6lb but i sometimes feel suicidal,I see my pdoc tomorrow so will discuss this with him.

I also take duloxetine 60mg again i sometimes feel suicidal,I don't sleep properly either.

I suppose to take quetiapine but i stopped them on my own accord as i didn't like them at all.

diazepam-when needed.

I take 20mg Cipralex and am thinking of getting a prescription for Welbrutin also as its meant to be a good combination.

I was taking 40mg of Citalopram but requested to change to Cipralex as its a purer form of Citalopram and it works slightly better for anxiety.

x

AP - risperidone which I have been taking for about 18 months, was recently incresed due to psychotic episodes to 4 mg but I have just reduced to 2 mg because I am playing a lot of gigs at the mo and was too spaced out.

Ap - escitalopram not on one at the moment because my pdoc wants to start me on prozac because I was still depressed despite being on the maximum dose

Anxiety - oxazepam which helps a lot

Have been on various meds over the years but find the risperidone the best for controlling pshycosis type symptons. A lot of the previous meds simply stopped working

:eh:

starry x

I've been on 7 different anti depressants over the years, with varying degrees of success. Thinking they didn't help and the side effects are worse than life without I have stopped each one only to take a massive dive in mood during the drug free months and so prescribed another a few months later. I guess they did help a bit. However, I am now on lamotrigine, which took forever to get up to a theraputic dose - but once there has made a huge difference. Depression has mostly gone so now I'm just contending with the u[s and downs of mood swings rather than the down and further down of Depression plus BPD. It is definately worth trying meds, and taking the horror stories with a pinch of salt because although they are true, for every horror story there's a success story and everything inbetween. You don't know how a med will work for you until you try it.

Good luck.

"...taking the horror stories with a pinch of salt..."

I think the negative experiences are more likely to be posted somewhere, (i.e. if one has a problem, they seek assistance from peers as well as professionals); those doing OK with meds don't feel compelled to talk about it. The exception is threads like this, on MBs like this, where balanced opinions are available.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who replied. :) I'm glad I'm prepared now that the meds aren't guaranteed to work, and me and the doc will have to work on a cocktail that's right for me. That probably sounds corny but at least I'm not holding hope for it to work right away, and I can remind myself after I start on them since I know I can be discouraged easily.

i might be a nerd, but I'm kind of excited to go on them. it means there's a chance of nixing out the depression, anxiety, paranoia and suicidal thoughts.

hey PlasticInsanity i just wondered what the outcome was of the discussion with your doctor on meds?

xx

Orap(pimozide) 2mg its an anti p and helps me to be less obsessive/worrysome

Zoloft (sertraline) 200mg its an anti d lifts my moods a bit,lessens my anxiety and my social anxiety.

Xanax tranq 0,5 mg as needed for anxiety attacks mainly.

This combo works well for me.Side effect;am very forgetful.

Lily

Archived