Mental Health Forums

If I Dont Say Or Move Something In A Certain

vampire

I have noticed for many years I have had this thing in my head If I do not do it something will happen or the bad thing my head says will happen and so on it is quite scary at times anyone else experince this share your thoughts and feelings here :)

(: I understand completely, I get lots of feelings of guilt negative feelings if things arn't well.. How I think they should be :P.. I also get uncomfortable around untidy spaces.. I don't really know if i'm OCD though.

Tegen -i'm the opposite to you, it seems. I get soooo uncomfortable in tidy spaces. Everything just feels...wrong, somehow.

I'm living with my nana at the moment while i get my own place sorted, but my bedroom is what I refer to as an "extremely organised mess"...and what everyone else refers to as "a complete shit-tip".

Wander into the kitchen and you will see piles of dishes that you'd think were completely haphazardly dumped... but you would be wrong. I would know that the small side plate with the miniscule crack on the bottom ridge is in the back right-hand corner underneath the Spiderman cup & the Toy Story knife and fork, and on top of the penguin-patterned bowl.

The tinned goods are organised in contents first, size second, and "most likely to use first" order also. Someone moves them, and we'll have tears and tantrums on our hands.

I have to line up everything, or i just cannot settle. This makes me a really awkward house guest, I can assure you. If things aren't "just right" for me, then i have to make them so, or i get tense, start to shake, may actually start to cry or have a panic attack.

This flares up for me, is not constant, but is very obvious when my mood starts to drop.

xxx

I seem to have elements of you both, lol.

I get jittery if things are too messy, but there is a perfect level of mess that I can find anything in in a second. I'm like you Crippie with tins and things in the fridge. And God help anyone who goes within 10 feet of my bookcases. I can tell within about 2 seconds if someone has even touched one let alone reshelved it incorrectly!

It comes and goes in waves of intensity, but some things are constant, like lining things up: shoes and cutlery etc, and my books.

And God help anyone who goes within 10 feet of my bookcases. I can tell within about 2 seconds if someone has even touched one let alone reshelved it incorrectly!

Ahhh! I forgot to mention my books!! Oooh, no one touches my books, unless i specifically hand one to them. There are.... three people in my life who i would trust to pick up and read my books. One of them lives at the other end of the country to me, one is a friend i have had for 7 years, and the other is my mother. Anyone else goes near them, and I am not a nice person. I let my son get away with it (he's 4), but he understands mummy's rules about how we "treat books nicely". Bit daft? yeah. Over the top? oh, most definately. Important to me? Cannot stress enough how much so. considering the fact that i have over 400 books, too.... That is an awful lot of things to worry constantly about, lol!!!

xx

Not at all over the top!! I have a database on my laptop that lists them by author, series, length, publisher, publish date, when I last read them and where exactly they are on the shelves. I don't even have a wardrobe in my room, I opted for another bookcase instead. :)

Haha oh the old book one... I have my books arranged by genre and author and things, but i'm out of shelf space and forced to stack some untidily ontop ): .. That makes me on edge alot too...

Then again i'm a readaholic so books are pretty important to me not really too unexpected for me to be so protective over them :P hehe xx

Yeah i have that all the time it rules my life tells me what to eat and what not to eat the same with clothes even making a sandwich or pouring a drink is controlled by rituals i was dx with OCD but never got much help with it, even typing this i have to repeatedly delete words and retype them, just had a shower washed myself 20 times everything has to be done right or something bad will happen, do you get help for it?

Well I don't really know if I am OCD, if so i've never been formally diagnosed, i'm just a little anxious around certain things...

So i've never had help or anything, it's not been too much of a problem it just makes in a pain in the arse as a house guest - or a free maid depending on how you see things :P ..

Do you get any help? I hear there are some pretty effective medications for it?? xx

Hi guys

Dont know if you are looking for advice and things, maybe not ... I remember a while back someone made a post about OCD and I did a reply which was quite long (how very unlike me **cough cough**) about using distress tolerance methods to help with OCD. Here is sort of a potted version ...

The thing with compulsions is they come up with that sense of panic and discomfort - your body feels horrid unless you do the thing you feel compelled to do. We are wired to take action to avoid pain, so it makes sense: You feel horrid, do the thing and then AHHHH you feel better for a bit. But the thing is, our awareness of that pain or discomfort is often vague, and so it becomes like a demon on our shoulders that we must obey.

So you get caught in that cycle - you know you can get rid of the discomfort by doing the thing, just like taking your hand off the boiling kettle. The problem is every time you do it, you reinforce the cycle, so you are more likely to do it next time, and more likely to feel the discomfort. That emotional part of your mind never finds out it can actually be safe even when it doesnt do the thing.

With distress tolerance, you accept that you are going to feel pain and discomfort. Theres a type of meditation called Mindfulness you can learn to help you with it too. What you do is, when the compulsion comes up, you notice it. Then the pain comes up. "OK here is the pain - where do I feel it in my body? OK its tension in my shoulders, its like indigestion in my tummy, its a headache, its pain in my arms, my heart is pounding, my lungs feel tight". You actually go and sort of 'look at' the pain, figure out what its made up of in terms of sensations in the body. You're not trying to get rid of the feelings, but literally sort of researching them. It may be that it becomes panic, but you dont get up and do "the thing" you feel compelled to do, you just stay there. And you repeat that again and again, every time it comes up for you.

With time, this is meant to help you see that not doing 'the thing' is actually OK, and that emotional part of your mind can let go a bit more. It may not lead to it completely disappearing, but you may find that you have a bit more choice in whether you are pushed around by it, and the discomfort will become less.

Just an idea...

Rossie McFluffington

Archived