Mental Health Forums

I Broke My Leg

Roses

Was feeling a little light headed and sleepy last night and Mike and I got up to go up to bed and my knees buckled and my right ankle twisted and then I was on the floor in agony. Mike put a tension bandage on it as he thought I had sprained it but I couldn't weight bear at all and so this morning I went down the walk in a 7.40am (so Mike could get kids to school and himself to work). There I got ferried about in a wheelchair and had an x-ray and it wasn't my ankle I had broken but my fibia (I think it was that one) and it had not broken horizontal left to right but had split from bottom of bone (near ankle) up at an angle for about an inch left to right so there is a large break and I have a backslab over feet and all way up to knee.

I'm gutted as my left ankle (the one with acute tendonitis) has just started getting better. The impacts on our lifestyle are going to be huge. We only have an upstairs loo and Aran is going to have to walk his sister to school and back until end of term now as I'll be at least 6 weeks (3 weeks into summer holidays) and we will need to borrow a wheelchair if we are to go out anywhere. The humiliation and the pain, I'm gutted. Last thing I needed right now ***sobs***

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my goodness. I am really sorry to hear about that. I really hope that your leg gets better quickly!

xxx

((((((((((roses)))))))))))

That's terrible! I'm so sorry to hear this awful news.

Have they given you anything for the pain? Is there anyone in RL that can help out?

I guess this was the last thing you needed.

sending you big gentle hugs

xxx

o no :(

guess this'll be a good time to pop you back in the 'barrow

shame it is only virtual... would have helped... *sigh*

can you get any extra help from anyone - housework and shopping and stuff... i remember when my dad was sick, there was a whole host of available stuff that people dont know about - worth an ask if you can...

sending you truckloads of healing thoughts :hug2:

and much love

xxxxxxxxxx

(((((Roses ))))) Nooooooooooooooo! what a pile of stinking poo so sorry that's the last thing you needed hope you can get lots of support hun xxx :hug2:

Oh ((Roses)) hunny,

I am shocked & upset for you. That sounds so painful, an such a pain in the arse for the summer :(

Thinking of you, you could ask for some decent painkillers- omg that must be traumatic, so sorry.

Such a pity it wll have such a severe impact on you & your family life. But all you really can do for yourself is get better.

Love & light xxxx anne marie

Thank you all so much, I'm really moved by all the responses and support here, it really, really hurts and I can't weight bear at all at the moment. Poor Mike and kids. Kids got home fine and Aran did jobs for me like putting bins out sorting out Fred and a gazilion other little things I couldn't do. Alora sat with me and didn't leave my side except to get me cold drinks and she played cards with me and everything. Poor Mike got in from work and had to cook tea for everyone. But, I have had lots of txts of help and support from 3 of my good friends and I rang Mum and she is hoping to come up as soon as she can tomorrow to stay for an indefinite period of time. I think she is more keen than ever as it gives her a break from home life right now, I think it may do her some good.

They gave me a box of 30 co-dydramol which I'm planning on using for the first 4-5 days with my regualr ibuprofen 600's, after which I'm hoping to go back to paracetamol and ibuprofen as I don't want to get addicted to codeine. The nurse who initially assessed me said she thought it was just a sprain and that I could probably get away without an x-ray but when I asked her to she didn't say no and sent me so when I came back with the results she was VERY apologetic. Scary isn't it that you can tell a triage nurse you can't stand on a limb and they'd send you packing. Could've been in real trouble then. Good job my spidey senses were tingling.

Yes, it's going to be awful for the summer, but I rang up council about getting a commode and they said ring GP and literally 30 mins later services rang me to say they were bringing one and then an hour after that it was here! I think I'm going to call them about a wheelchair tomorrow as walk in said to ask at fracture clinic on Friday but these guys seem very good and they didn't mention about me paying either so presume it's free, yes something for free from the NHS!

edit - wanted to plus you all but only had 2 left for today. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Was feeling a little light headed and sleepy last night and Mike and I got up to go up to bed and my knees buckled and my right ankle twisted and then I was on the floor in agony. Mike put a tension bandage on it as he thought I had sprained it but I couldn't weight bear at all and so this morning I went down the walk in a 7.40am (so Mike could get kids to school and himself to work). There I got ferried about in a wheelchair and had an x-ray and it wasn't my ankle I had broken but my fibia (I think it was that one) and it had not broken horizontal left to right but had split from bottom of bone (near ankle) up at an angle for about an inch left to right so there is a large break and I have a backslab over feet and all way up to knee.

I'm gutted as my left ankle (the one with acute tendonitis) has just started getting better. The impacts on our lifestyle are going to be huge. We only have an upstairs loo and Aran is going to have to walk his sister to school and back until end of term now as I'll be at least 6 weeks (3 weeks into summer holidays) and we will need to borrow a wheelchair if we are to go out anywhere. The humiliation and the pain, I'm gutted. Last thing I needed right now ***sobs***

Oh Roses I am so, so gutted for you, I cant believe this has happened. Breaking a bone like that brings up so many horrible feelings, the pain not least but as you say all the ways that its going to affect you. Did you actually fall on it, or did it seem to go without much of an impact?

Really really hope it heals quickly and is not too painful right now, but if you wanna have a rant and a sob and a GWARRRR then please do....

GGGRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*********** SOB SOB SOB *********

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

********limps********

that helped, thanks x

Yes, it was weird Mike said my knees went all buckled and that he thought I might have broken on of those but then my ankle twisted and I was sobbing on the floor. Then I had a memory lapse and lost about 15 minutes where he got me on the sofa, put it on ice for a while and put a tension bandage on it. Next thing I know he is standing me up to get me upstairs and I thought I was going to vomit everywhere. Then I took my meds and must a passed out for a few hours (he said I slept for about 3.5 hours) then I was up and down to toilet with Mike basically carrying me over his arm until I sort of settled at 3.30am then I was in and out of sleep and in lots of pain. Finally got up just b4 7 when I crawled down to the lounge and nearly vomited on the carpet telling Mike he needed to get me to walk in asap. He dropped me at 7.40 bless him then took kids to school and himself to work. He can't have time off right now as is under scrutiny they are basically trying to get rid of him but they can't sack him so he is under lots of stress and looking for another job too. This past week he has had someone shadowing him employed under "special projects". Basically they are trying to find any faults in what he does and also log what he does. We think this is so they can train someone after he leaves,. sorry, gets "pushed" out. The rest is as I wrote here. I think I have been in shock most of today and have cried lots, very nervous about how I am going to sleep tonight. But have just had more txts off friends and Salleigh is coming tomorrow morning and Ann is brining me lunch (with cream cakes num num) and staying until school is out). I am getting spoilt and it's making me feel special which is nice and rare for me xxxxx

How awful for you :( Glad to read that you are being offered plenty of support though :)

I was going to suggest getting in touch with your doctor for some emergency aids, if you have any problem re a wheelchair, the red cross supply them on loan for a small fee. If you lived close I could help make it all a bit of fun and lend you one of my scooters so we could have a scooter race lol

But seriously, Hope the pain eases for you soon and the break heals asap

Aaawwww thank you so much shailaine, scooter racing sounds like fun!. I did look on Yell.com for redcross places first off actually as I know my Mum used their service in the past for Granny and my little brother but I couldn't find one locally which is how I ended up calling council then GP.

Aww poor Roses, it sounds like you are in so much pain, how horrible. i'm glad you insisted on an x ray, i have had trouble with nurses getting things wrong too but it can take so much strength to insist on them doing something. I hope the pain goes away soon, i hope you can still enjoy your summer. maybe soon you can have crutches, they are less embarasing than wheelchairs. Its good your family are being so supportive but even so it must be so hard for you xxx

nothing helpfull but truly sorry this has happened and added so much more pain and discomfort to your days

really hoping the pain, at least, can be controlled for you

xxxxxxxxx

i'm sorry this happened roses it must be suo frustrating. i'm really glad you were able to assert yourself with the nurse thats pretty shocking what happened. also glad that people are rallying around to help you in real life.

take care and i hope the pain is managable xxxx

Thank you Walker, Vivien and everyone, the support I'm getting here is amazing. The pain isn't totally under control as I am only taking 1 co-dydramol every 4 hours and I could take 2, but I don't want to get addicted and I am taking 3 x 600 ibuprofen too so I don't want to put my body under too much more toxic stuff if I can mange. Obv if it gets anymore uncomfortable I will just say hell yeah, and take the 2 every time but whilst I am in some discomfort it is not unbearable.

So my first friend turned up about 11 and asked me if I wanted a cuppa, disappeared into the kitchen and then she was washing up bless her. Mike hadn't managed that last night. She's ace. We just chatted through the wall (we have a 3 bed semi so didn't need to shout hardly) and then she came and chatted to me for 15 mins b4 she went to get her youngest from pre-school. She's coming again tomorrow, I said Mum would be here and she said she didn't care which made me LOL she is funny.

Second friend came just as first was leaving and came with some lovely home made tuna and salad wraps (I made an agreement with Mike that I would try and eat some fish and stuff whilst I'm healing as he was worried bout my diet and that) and I actually really enjoyed it as I've always like fish. She also brought us a cream cake each which I couldn't finish as I'm still feeling quite sick, and a lovely bunch of flowers. She stayed until just b4 3pm for school run, bless her. It was much needed company. Then Mum arrived at about 4pm a little after the kids got in *big sigh of relief*

So today was painful but good at the same time. I had to ring around and cancel a lot of things and re-arrange appts and the such (like physio - Ican't come for a while, um, about 6 weeks and then I might need you for different physio LOL) and I'm starting to get a little sore from sitting around all day, but definately a lot better than crawling around on my knees and bum shuffling up and down stairs like I had to yesterday. I just stayed down there all day and just came up about half hour ago.

Wow, that was longer than I thought x

edit - does anyone have any bright ideas about how I can get my hair washed??? I can't really kneel at the bath and the bathroom sink is too high and the wrong shape for me to sit back at.

do you have a shower head on your bath? if so get a chair at side of bath and lean back to wash your hair, or use a jug in the same way?

Hi Roses

Are you on any meds that are also 'hypnotics'? What you are describing there sounds disturbingly like what happened to me the first night I took mirtazapine - it just switched my brain off as i was going to the loo, and I collapsed in a heap, then suddenly came to and was piddling on the floor :( A radiator broke my fall and I went backwards, but if you fell straight down it may be that it twisted your leg and broke the bone. There wouldnt have been any muscle tension to oppose it.

You mentioned nausea after - thats also what i got after I came to, quite badly. Having said that I always feel nauseous when I break a bone too, but I know you have the pain tolerance of an SAS veteran, so it makes me wonder if this might all be hypnotics related? Hypnotic might even be an off-label use or side effect of another med....

Just ideas and things, know it doesnt make you feel any better or fix leggie ....

hope u start to feel a little better soon, i think u can buy shower end and tube attachment thingy etc that can be plugged into any tap (may be wrong), and not sure how good they r.

hugs

cad

awww sweetsy have only read t6he initial part o the thread but i offer empathy in the fact that think my left foot went with u my twin lol sympathy as well can't there be enough hurdles now i got to hop one foot lol n possibly training wheels of ur bike worst case hehe we can rebuilt u n make u stronger giggles but seriously in the states they have a chair u sit n strap urself in n it runs diaginal up the stairs like a train just think of it as the princess is being carried to her quarters loves ya xxxxx oh n have a word with them legs n tell em no more silly stuff ps autographs ur cast :)

I love the special part..... glad people are looking in on you, I guess you literally get to put your feet up, might be good to catch up on your reading list? I broke my foot once and got fantastic grades during that period, some good came of it.

Archived