Mental Health Forums

Changing My Quetiapine Dose

snowman

THe psych put my quet dose up to 300mg from 150mg 2 weeks ago cos I was very agitated and distressed.

But I have been very groggy and put on 6kg in that time alone.

So I feel dreadful.

Last night I decided to drop back down to 150mg.

Anyone else found this - am I likely to get withdrawal so soon after a dose change?

Last summer I just stopped them completely - I went psychotic so I will be alert to that this time.

Any other thoughts?

Hi ((snow))

Imo seroquel is a good med for my bpd. I benefit from small doses occ.

The highest I was on was 325mg, but in reality i would take 150mg (25 x 2 daytime, 100mg at night) as on 325mg a day i could barely function outside of hossy.

6kg in 2 weeks is a lot, i would be pretty disheartened tbh as well. I put on 4 stone in as many months with zyprexa, took me nrly 4 years to lose it. Weight is often tied u with self-esteem (is for me).

Maybe drop down in increments over a week? I know I shouldn't be agreeing with you on not being "med compliant" but in the end of the day, it is your life, you are living with the side effects and feeling over-sedated.

Could you ring and explain how you feel about this, and say you think the crisis has stopped now? Or chat to a CPN see what they say?

At least you are not stopping them altogether. Maybe your pdoc will agree that your crisis is over and reduce you?

Wishing you well ((snowy)) love & light, a.m xxxxxxxxxx

Hi Snowman

I'm not on this anti-p, I 'm on risperidone 4mg. I cut down to 2 mg about a month ago and started having big crisis and irrational thoughts again so my pdoc told me to put it back up to 4 mg. I know it sucks to take meds that have such awful side effects like weight gain. Can you talk to your pdoc about this? Maybe they can find you an anti-p that doesn't make you put on weight.

This one that I take is better for side effects, also if I find I'm eating more I consciously try to stop eating when I'm full and use smaller plates. I went from a size 8 to a size 14 in two years so I know how you feel.

thinking of you

starry xxx

Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately the crisis isn't over but the sedation is horrid. The weight gain must be water or something cos I am watching what I eat and exercising more. Makes no sense at all.

Hi I'm Snowman I'm on 1000mg of this horrid med the only way I have been able to lose weight is practically starving myself and exercising. In withdrawral I get crazy Hyper and quite psychotic, This time to reduce it I am going into hos to see if they can reduce it safely. Most peeps can do a gradual lessening though but to be aware and maybe have some one else also watch out for you for other symptom like psychosis coming back. Have to agree with kitteh though, zyprexa is a real evil culpret for weight gain that one forever gave me weight issues. Hope you can find the right med soon. xx Bumble

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I am on quetiapine. I take 500mg a day in two doses 100mg in the morning and 400mg at night. I found that spliting the dose really helps me and the tiredness has worn off slowly. Yes I have put some weight on, but not as much as I did on other drugs. I am also on 225mg of Venlafaxine per day taken in the morning.

Maybe spliting the dose could help you or would work better in combination with other drugs.

I hope you find the right balance for you! Fi xxx

Im worried because you say youre still in crisis yet you want to cut down.I understand your frustration,Id want to take less too if I gained weight! But maybe there are other solutions here,why not talk to your doc first before you do this and risk getting worse.

Archived