Mental Health Forums

Weight Problem Rather Than Eating Disorder, I Think

Christine001

Not sure this counts as an eating disorder, in fact it isnt but my weight is causing me some big problems physically and mentally.

I am 15 1/2 stone that is 3 stone heavier than last year at this time.

I have never been this weight but was 14 stone for about 4 years but mostly been about 11 1/2

since these meds and just not caring about myself i have put on weight.

physically I am experiencing things I never have before, sweating, not being about to bend down, put my bra on,find a bra that fits, rashes, do anything energetic for more than a few minutes. I feel old and decrepit.

the only way I have have lost weight is going on a very low calorie diet or shakes and soups,

but with all the meds I am on and all the depression I feel i dont know if I can do this again. BUt i want too. I will have to stop drinking alcohol too, which has been a bit of a problem lately

I know lots of people dont think vlcd are healthy but they have worked for me before the meds.

dont know what to do, havent the motivation or patience to do it 2lbs a week, and if i can do the first 4 days of the vlcd I am on a winner.

any words of encouragement welcome

I am in a similar situation and I have very little motivation with diets because I weigh myself every day and as soon as I don't lose anything I stop.

I want to try VLCD but where do you start? Do you have to go to your GP or can you do it alone?

I am at the stage where I am so desperate I would do anything, I have even considered starting smoking on numerous occasions because I've heard it can suppress the appetite.

yes i guess u should go to gp first, but as i hate drs I will sort it out myself.

some pharmacists do it- lipotrim I thing and you can also look up for a local cambridge diet counsellor too.

they are both VLCDs

personally - easiest way is low carbs

so meat + veg but NO pasta/bread/potatoes/rice

still have cereal

or maybe 1 piece toast

this seems to shift fluids

although atm cant eat much anywy and weight remains cos do so little

low carb = u can still eat lots of food if u need to

and get the carbs from fruit/veg etc

So could you not do something like SlimFast but instead of having two shakes and one meal er day, just have three shakes? That would make like 690 cals? (They are about 230 each?)

Just that I think if you go for ones with group meetings and counsellors and stuff, they are probably quite expensive and I can't really afford it :-(

I gues Christine, I would say that if you are unhappy, and if you are pretty healthy otherwise, then why not give it a try? I think I might do it, but I have a dietitian appointment this week so I might ask what she thinks first...

slimfast doesnt have all the nutrition you need, I get shakes off internet and dont do counselling, it works out cheaper plus taking multi vits and not doing it for more than 2 months at a time.

if I eat something then I cant stop if I eat nothing for some reason i am more able to restrain myself, hense vlcd instead of low carb

lol walker!

I'm the same though, I find it easier to either starve or binge, I can't eem to cope with 'healthy eating' and regular meals and stuff.

I think I will have a look at the Lipotrim and see how much it's going to cost!

Good luck Christine xx

but eating nothing simply slows metabolism then u dont want food

but it fks the system up

ha ha - dont know the science, just know it does something

Archived