Mental Health Forums

Mirtazapine - Cause Mania?

CrippleAndStarfish

I'm not overly worried myself, but a few people close to me have raised concerns over the past few days..... Thought i'd best ask....

Does anyone know if mirtazapine, or indeed seroquel, can cause mania? I've tried googling, but the pages are taking too long to load.

I've not slept since yesterday morning, that was only a few hours. not really had any appetite, now i think about it, but i'm doing my whole "boredom.... eat!" thing.... And i've noticed this morning that i'm feeling a little... dunno how to describe it... a little... antsy?

Was showered with hair washed, dressed, had breakfast, make up and hair done, load of washing put on, 2 baskets of ironing done, nails filed and painted and had already been to the shop by 6am this morning, and my nana has grumped away at me, but I can't sleep, and i can't just sit here and do nothing!

Oh, and my mum's just rang me and shouted at me and told me that I need to ring the CMHT and sort an appt, that I should have done it sooner.... though sooner when, exactly, i have no bloody idea.

Gah. I can't decide if i like this or not. At least i'm getting stuff done, and not hurting physically. Pffft. Sorry.

hey hun

haven't read this all yet but noticed your bit that you had tried googling but it took too long to load. google tells me this:

"

Mirtazapine may alter moods or cause mania. It should be used carefully in people with a history of mania.

Read more: Mirtazapine - dose, effects, drug, people, used, brain, women, health http://www.minddisorders.com/Kau-Nu/Mirtazapine.html#ixzz1RJTwkX8Z"

Mirtazapine may cause mania (an emotional disorder with an exagerated feeling of well-being and hyperactivity - can cause racing thoughts; distraction; increased sexual urges; sleeplessness; irritability; anger; delusions; hyper-religiosity; talkativeness; rapid speech; buying sprees; grandiose plans; abnormally elevated mood). This symptom may occur with a history of bipolar disorder.

This drug may also cause the following symptoms that are related to mania:

Bipolar disorder (psychiatry diagnosis with rapidly changing moods - from depression to abnormal mood elevations) Bipolar disorder

Hypomania (mild form of mania - excessive cheerfulness/increased activity) Hypomania. Increased risk in people with a history of depression

http://doublecheckmd.com/EffectsDetail.do?dname=mirtazapine&sid=13590&eid=2726

edit: ps i am tired and must admit that i first mis-read and thought you asked if mirtazapine causes manja :P

oooooh, bloomin' fabulous, that is!!! <_< not stropping at you there, hun, just to be clear. thankyou for searching for meeee :)

Gahh, i'll be 'reet. xxxx

LMAO!!! would imagine that would be rather disconcerting!!! "I'm just gunna take my meds now..." *tablets in, water down* "ahhh.... oh! Hello there! Fancy seeing you here!!!" "it's just the meds crip - if you read the patient information leaflet properly like you're supposed to, you naughty girl, you'd notice that in the Common Side Affects list it clears says 'can cause Manja'!"

oh!! patient information leaflet! Of course! i could have checked that! :ashamed0005:

LMAO!!! would imagine that would be rather disconcerting!!! "I'm just gunna take my meds now..." *tablets in, water down* "ahhh.... oh! Hello there! Fancy seeing you here!!!" "it's just the meds crip - if you read the patient information leaflet properly like you're supposed to, you naughty girl, you'd notice that in the Common Side Affects list it clears says 'can cause Manja'!"

oh!! patient information leaflet! Of course! i could have checked that! :ashamed0005:

oh hun that honestly made me laugh out loud... thank you... really needed that xx

Now you've got me thinking too Crippie. Been on it just a couple of weeks but haven't really slept properly since and cant stop thinking things over and over even when they're not important things, keep checking everything. But this could just be me because it has happened before and I'm not sure and think it might have started when I came off other AD just before started these. You'll have to excuse the waffling, not really making a point post here......tired, didn't sleep lastnight at all. Maybe it's the Manja!!

ntt14 - yuss, most definitely the manja :) hehe

Sorry you're struggling too xxxx

Wynter, i think it may be doing the same to me! sorry it happened to you :(

xxxx

I wouldn't worry too much Dice, if you can help it (know that's sooo much easier said than done), as the one friend i have IRL has been on it for years and she has BPD and has had eps of mania same as i have, and she's not had one single thing, and her mum's the same too, so isn't an across-the-board thing. xx

sorry about the dodgy side effects of the meds. hope i don't sound bossy but try not to consume too much caffeine whilst you're feelin like this. when i'm 'up' i love it and want to keep it going for as long as poss and usually drink loads of tea n coffee. it makes it harder to sleep and then all the sleep deprivation things happen.

hot chocolate makes a good substitute tho!

xxxx

no, no hun, bossy is what is needed - will be sure to swap for hot choc - i've got plenty of that, and marshmallows and chocolate to flake too :)

Just feeling so aggro atm, wanna scream or smash summin or... i dunno. just make a fuss, i guess. Gah. Why do MH teams have a habit of promising the sun, moon and stars, and then shock horror, nothing comes of it at all. Grrr.

xxxxxx

I know what you mean Crippie, would love nothing more than to start smashing plates and throwing things around the house right now!! But I might just get carried away and start throwing them at hubby too, not that I'm feeling a little bitter and plain old grumpy. I was under the impression that these make you groggy, sleepy and my brain was looking forward to a break. But apparently not eh?

Hi Crip,

I was on a low dose Mirtazepine plus high dose Venlafaxine for around 7yrs and never had the mania with it although i did have the increased appetite with it.

From what i understand all antidepressants 'can' cause mania in someone suseptable to it so guess like most things is individual to the person as to whether it happens or not.

Having said that going onto Duloxetine recently my moods bounced from Manic to Dep like billyo and only sorted when i increased my Quitiapine to stabalise it.

Hope it sorts itself out for you hun though

x

I know what you mean Crippie, would love nothing more than to start smashing plates and throwing things around the house right now!! But I might just get carried away and start throwing them at hubby too, not that I'm feeling a little bitter and plain old grumpy. I was under the impression that these make you groggy, sleepy and my brain was looking forward to a break. But apparently not eh?

Hiya hun,

Yeah, I ended up blowing up a bit and screaming random wordless noise at my nana, then rang crisis and screamed random wordless noise at them too. Oooops. Did apologise to both afterwards, and both said that they understand, and my nana said that she expected me to blow in some way, and was just glad that it was with screaming instead of things more dangerous to myself (sh etc).

They did knock me out about 20 - 40 mins after taking them for the first 6 weeks or so, but after, well, we've got this! lol. Sucks.

xxx

Hi Crip,

I was on a low dose Mirtazepine plus high dose Venlafaxine for around 7yrs and never had the mania with it although i did have the increased appetite with it.

From what i understand all antidepressants 'can' cause mania in someone suseptable to it so guess like most things is individual to the person as to whether it happens or not.

Having said that going onto Duloxetine recently my moods bounced from Manic to Dep like billyo and only sorted when i increased my Quitiapine to stabalise it.

x

'Iya Wolfie,

My appetite has all but disappeared! am having to force meself to eat even though not hungry, which as i'm sure you can imagine is causing the old ED monster to raise her ugly head.

I saw the pdoc this morning - it's the one who originally dxed me with BPD 2 years ago, and she's so lovely - and she has increased my quetiapine to 250mg, and gunna continue increasing until the racing thoughts bugger off, basically, as she doesn't wanna take me off the mirt unless absolutely necessary. guess it's a good thing, as only have a dosage increase to deal with instead of a complete medication overhaul.

thankyou hun

xxx

Hi Crip,

x

'Iya Wolfie,

My appetite has all but disappeared! am having to force meself to eat even though not hungry, which as i'm sure you can imagine is causing the old ED monster to raise her ugly head.

I saw the pdoc this morning - it's the one who originally dxed me with BPD 2 years ago, and she's so lovely - and she has increased my quetiapine to 250mg, and gunna continue increasing until the racing thoughts bugger off, basically, as she doesn't wanna take me off the mirt unless absolutely necessary. guess it's a good thing, as only have a dosage increase to deal with instead of a complete medication overhaul.

thankyou hun

xxx

Wow that's surprising that it hasn't helped your appetite on it. I found food didn't taste 'grey' anymore (if you know what i mean?) when i was on it. Food had more flavour and tasted good (although pdoc didn't really understand why i had this on it), so that sucks that it hasn't helped, as you say especially with the ED monster.

That's good that she's trying to balance with a med you already on cos yeah it's a pain when the meds are changed as it's like keeping track of all symptoms all over again :rolleyes:

Hopefully the Quet will help stabalise it for you.

I find that instead of bouncing from 1-10 i vibrate generally around the 5,6,7 mark now, which i find is easier. I think cos i was already operating around 1 the Dulox just gave me boosts of periods at 10 but without keeping me there.

Fingers crossed for you hun :)

x

Archived