Mental Health Forums

Weight Management After Anorexia

pidgeypony

We are constantly told that when we reduce our calorie intake to very low levels, our metabolism reduces, so we eat less to maintain our weight.

So, recovering from and after anorexia, how do you stay slim, if your metabolism has gone to pot?

I am now down to eating just a couple of hundred calories a day, sometimes less than 100 calories a day, and am absolutely terrified of getting fat. I am currently an ideal weight and body fat mass, but have started suffering from lack of food. How do I manage to increase my food intake without getting fat?

I have been tempted - but so far resisted - buying thyroxine, to get the weight off whilst starting to eat more.

Madness I know, but I am desperate.

I'm recovering from anorexia now, and am managing to maintain a just about healthy weight. As you increase your food intake your metabolism will also increase it just may take time for it to catch up with the food increase, also exercise will always help a bit. Eating 100cals or less is really dangerous (as hypocritical as I feel saying that it's true...) Just try to increase slowly and stick to a healthy and balanced diet. I wish you all the best.

Thank you wonderful. I discussed all this with my CPN this week. I have loads of excess skin which flops where the belly lies, which makes me feel so much fatter. Unfortunately, I know all the dangers of under eating, but cannot overcome the issues, as my fear o regaining weight kicks in.

I don't over exercise these days. I look after seven donkeys, an Irish Setter, six hens, a cat and a human being known as a husband. Lazy, filthy git that he is.

Overcoming an ED is one of the hardest things I think anyone can ever do, I was struggling with recovery for a year and some months before getting to where I am, and now things are, so, so much better, but I still get those days every now and then that I feel like I just can't do it. I can promise you though, I am SO much happier, and I feel like I'm finaly living, it almost feels like I've come back from the dead, or at least a coma... Getting there is scary, but work at it hard enough and things get better and easier as long as you keep fighting. If you need any support at all feel free to pm me =) x

Archived