Mental Health Forums

An Easy Yummy Ice Cream Recipe That Doesn't Need An Icecream Machine

catsmother21

:cheff: :cheff: :cheff:

I can't remember where I got this from probably some magazine but it is really easy and absolutely yummy.

You will need:

1 pint of whipping cream

A can of Condensed Milk Light (not the ordinary one it's way too sweet)

2 x vanilla pods or a tablespoon of vanilla extract (I have tried both and think the vanilla pods are better)

400g of mixed berries (I use raspberries and blueberries)

The juice of one lemon

55g of caster sugar

Then all you need to do is:

- Place the fruit, sugar and lemon juice in a pan and cook the fruit down over a medium heat until it is syrupy (do not boil it).

- Then when it has cooled push the fruit through a seive to get all the lovely juice but not the seeds.

- Let this cool and throw away the seeds.

- Then whisk the whipping cream until you get soft peaks.

- Next add the condensed milk and seeds from the vanilla pods to the cream and whisk together until you get soft peaks again.

- Pour the cream mixture into a freezer storage box and pour in the fruit syrup and swirl it around.

- Then bung it in the freezer overnight and hey presto! gorgeous yummy icecream with no icecream maker or having to stir it every hour.

:cheff: :cheff: :cheff:

Sounds delicious!! I'll definately give this a go!!!!!

Do you know if using a sugar replacement like Splenda would work? I'm trying to cut as much sugar out of my diet as possible!!!!

Hi Bimo

I've not tried it with Splenda but I don't see why it shouldn't work - give it a go and see what happens xx

This sounds amazing Cats. I'm def gunna try it too :)

Bimo - will you let us know how it works out with the sugar replacement pweeeease?

xxxxxxxx

Well, I've just put my batch in the freezer and I can't wait!!!!!!!!!

I made some more yesterday as well - so we'll both have yummy icecream today!! xx

I made some more yesterday as well - so we'll both have yummy icecream today!! xx

Not entirely sure mine will be yummy. I may have tested some of the unfrozen batch before it went in the freezer and it was VERY sweet.

And then I gave it a quick prod this morning before work and it had frozen very, VERY solid!! And I forgot to put a lid on the box so the top has dried out.

Ah well, we'll see what it's like when I get home.

Not entirely sure mine will be yummy. I may have tested some of the unfrozen batch before it went in the freezer and it was VERY sweet.

And then I gave it a quick prod this morning before work and it had frozen very, VERY solid!! And I forgot to put a lid on the box so the top has dried out.

Ah well, we'll see what it's like when I get home.

Yeah I should have mentioned that it is very rich and indulgent - if I eat mine just by itself in a bowl I like to eat it with a couple of fingers of shortbread or Askeys do some very nice waffle ice cream cones (like the Cornetto ones) and a scoop in one of those is lovely. As it as has frozen solid just take it out of the freezer for 10 minutes or so before you use it and then it should be soft enough to scoop out. xx

hiiiiii

sweeteners won't work in recipes that require sugar - you can replace up to half the sugar with sweetener but you will need to use proper sugar as well. as you found bimo, its too sweet! sweeteners tend to be sweeter than sugar, and it (sweetener) can interfere with how the recipe is meant to turn out.

this sounds lovely cats, i may make it for dylan :)

hiiiiii

sweeteners won't work in recipes that require sugar - you can replace up to half the sugar with sweetener but you will need to use proper sugar as well. as you found bimo, its too sweet! sweeteners tend to be sweeter than sugar, and it (sweetener) can interfere with how the recipe is meant to turn out.

Yeah, I suspected that the sweetner may have been the root cause of the extra (over) sweetness.

Oh well, it's an excuse to try again.

Used strawberries and blueberries this time. Might try somthing more exotic next time. Maybe mango and kiwi?

hiiiiii

Thanks for this Toastie - I've never used sweetners in recipes before so wasn't sure what to say to Bimo but now I know - hope Dylan enjoys it xx

hiiiiii

Yeah, I suspected that the sweetner may have been the root cause of the extra (over) sweetness.

Used strawberries and blueberries this time. Might try somthing more exotic next time. Maybe mango and kiwi?

Oooo mango and kiwi sounds good - might give that a go myself because they are hubby's two favourite fruits :) xx

hiiiiii

PS - just thought if you're going to use mango and kiwi, it might be a good idea to replace the lemon juice with lime juice instead xx

Oooo mango and kiwi sounds good - might give that a go myself because they are hubby's two favourite fruits :) xx

hiiiiii

PS - just thought if you're going to use mango and kiwi, it might be a good idea to replace the lemon juice with lime juice instead xx

Good thinking on the lime juice!! Ohhhhh, I'm impatient to get home and have some now!!!!!

Archived