Mental Health Forums

"sitting" Inside My Head?

PlasticInsanity

I didn't realize until yesterday when I was at a family campfire, with alot of people, that when I become uncomfortable I like to "sit" (for lack of a bette word) with my thoughts inside of my head. by this, I mean that I'll sit there and just think - sometimes of what could happen in a certain situation, what's happened that day, etc, anything really. I'm still aware of what goes on around me, and I'm embarassed when someone's like, "Why are you so quiet?". I started getting anxiety yesterday.. maybe because I'm used to being home by like 7 or 8, and I left the house at 5 and was gone all night, just got back this morning. not something I'm used to. maybe it was because everyone was drinking, and I was on cold pills so I really couldn't? Nobody was really falling down drunk though, and that's usually what gets to me, so I don't get it. I was so excited for the weekend, and yesterday I just felt anxious and was tempted to leave but made myself stay. getting high helped the paranoia, but then I was just quiet for pretty much the whole night. although part of it is probably because I can't talk as loud as normal because of my sinuses, joy haha.

anyone else go through this too? how do you cope?

Yeah I find myself doing this most of the time in social situations. Its rather comfy and safe feeling, and as you said I still know whats going on around me. I don't know what it is, I assume its just down to anxiety around being in social situations so its easier not to engage maybe?

Hope you feel better soon anyway.

Louladoll

Feeling better now, thanks to you both. I'm thinking it is just a comfort thing, I tend to 'daydream' alot when I'm just sitting doing nothing, but was kind of surprised to find i do that more than i thought.

Feeling better now, thanks to you both. I'm thinking it is just a comfort thing, I tend to 'daydream' alot when I'm just sitting doing nothing, but was kind of surprised to find i do that more than i thought.

You are probably right - most likely is a comfort thing. I can get lost in doing it, and I too have noticed recently that I do it a lot more than I realised. Its an odd one, but its harmless methinks :) Still good to hear you are feeling better.

Louladoll

Thanks again, lol :) i guess i was kind of concerned/thinking it might have something to do with dissociation? I'm not positive, because I don't know enough about it, but I also tend to have moments where everything just doesn't seem real, or it feels like i'm staring at the world from behind a mask or something (maybe because I can see the tip of my nose/glasses?).

this is probably just me starting to think too far into stuff, I do that sometimes. but I'm glad other people do this too. I know it's harmless, I just get embarassed when people ask why I'm quiet and I have to try think of something to say, haha.

Archived