Mental Health Forums

Do I Have And Ed?

BimoUK

I've never been diagnosed as having an eating disorder, but then it's not something I've ever discussed with my GP or a therapist. Was wondering if people could give me their opinions.

I have a tendancy to go through really fast cycles when it comes to eating. Ultimately, I want to be slim (I'm overweight), muscular, athletic, fit and healthy. I've studied a lot of physiology, anatomy, nutrition and so on so I know EXACTLY what I need to do to achieve this.

When I eat healthily I do exactly that, I have sensible meals of reasonably sized portions, making sure I get all the nutrients I need and so on. When I do this, whether I exercise or not, I lose weight VERY rapidly. I can lose up to 7lbs in 3 days!!

On the flipside, when the need to binge comes over me I can sit and stuff crisps and pizzas and biscuits and ice cream in my face over the course of an evening and put that 7lbs back on, literally, over night.

And finally, when I'm disgusted enough with myself for behaving like that I can go two, three days without eating anything at all, drinking only black coffee.

Now, I know that what I've outlined above is far from a healthy relationship with food, but does it qualify as an eating disorder? Is this something I should seek help for or should I just try and get a handle on it by myself?

7lb's in 3 days! That would be mainly fluid, fat doesn't move that fast. If you are eating high salt foods like crisps and pizzas and then stop you would lose fluid that you are retaining I think. As you don't seem to beable to have a a good and healthy relationship with food I would think you do have some issue. But you are craving the sugary foods that can be linked with depression so it could be due to a depressive episode I guess. I am not sure lables are very helpful.

Lets try not to argue tonight :)

hi bimo are you on mirtazipine? if so i think it is known for having cravings as a side effect. if things are worse since taking it i thing drs would probably put your problem down to the drug.

i struggle with food cravings and it is so frustrating.

it might not help you at all as it doesn't everyone but i found i was able to control my eating habits better when using paul mckennas 'i can make you thin' book and cd.

good luck xxx

Hi Bimo,

Sounds exactly how i was on zyprexa (and some others). I was obsessed with weight, down to lining up afternoon tv shows on weight loss, and would do really well for max 3-4 days.

And then it felt like i would die if i could not have pizza / cake.

And feel so so guilty and 'trapped' in that cycle.

I think i had/ have disordered eating rather than an ed.

And i agree with Vivien, i used Paul Mckenna most nights for a good while and am keeping it off, i can upload an mp3 copy for you if you like? I find spoken meditation great for weight/ attitude/ relaxation.

Look after yself xx

I'[m glad you guys have mentioned Paul McKenna - I used to listen to one of his CDs and read the book and found it really helpful at the time. That was before I was diagnosed with BPD/ depression - in a footnote at the start of the book it says you shouldn't listen to the CD if you have been diagnosed with depression - would you happen to know why this is so?

Thanks

Thank you all for your replies.

On the whole I do tend to binge on salty foods so maybe the rapid weight loss when I stop is water retention related, I don't really know very much about it.

I have recently been started on Mirtazapine but that's only been in the last 6 weeks and the behaviour I describe above easily accounts for the last 6 years.

I've got that Paul McKenna book and CD myself, but I didn't find it as effective as I have the confidence one.

I have an appointment with my GP after work this evening so maybe I'll discuss this with him..............maybe I won't.

Hi Bimo,

Think it would be good to mention it to yr doctor,

Its something that is bothering you, and is physical just as much as mental.

Good luck w your appt, take care, xx am

I would think it is best to mention it as even if it is a depression or an eating disorder you need some help and support with it by the sounds of it. Good luck ((Bimo))) Glad we are cool again. :hug2:

I bottled out from speaking to my GP. :(

I wasn't in a very good headspace at all and I didn't fancy going over it all and risk making myself feeling even worse.

I ate nothing all day and drank nothing but 2 litres of energy drink, came home and binged and I feel dreadful.

Going to find that Paul McKenna CD and give that another whirl.

I have to do something.

(((bimo))) hope you are able to discuss it another time with the dr.

its funny i'm the opposite of you with the paul mckenna books n cds-the food one helped but the confidence one didn't do anything apart from maybe make me a bit worse xxx

I am like this, ive not been diagnosed but i have a binge eating disorder symptoms, but then can go without food for a week and then i binge again. its something i going to have help with because my height and weight arent in the right category wich means im obese.

It's been a while since I was weighed by a doctor, but based on the last time I was.....yeah.......I'm obese too.

Aaaand, I'm still bingeing every night.

• 2 weeks later...

i have been affected by ED when i was in stress.. may be that could be the reason for eating disorders.. Just try to have a change in environment and relax.....

Archived