Mental Health Forums

Telling Your Mind That Rituals Are Meaningless?!?

Tinsel

Hello everyone; i want to self-help as much as possible; and to see if there are any successful techniques which can stop people from performing rituals.

How do you tell yourself that the ritual you want to perform; to stop something bad from happening; is meaniningless and is just an OCD obsession; and will have no effect on the 'bad thought' that you think is going to occur; if you do not perform the ritual?!?

I know that in the short term; that anxiety will increase; and i imagine; quite a lot; if you dont perform the ritual; but how long would it take to subside?!?

If anyone has any successful strategies; that they found work;worked; really well; then please reply!?!

Thank you!?!

At the age of 16 I was diagnosed with OCD and I can honestly say that OCD was one of the worst experiences I' ve ever went through. It was even worse that the depression that ensued and that I'm trying to handle now. But as to OCD, I'm 22 now and 6 years after I can honestly say that my obsessions no longer control my behavior. Of course, it is not that I sometimes don't have such thoughts, sometimes I get the inexplicable feeling that something is dirty or something like that and I feel my anxiety rise but it never rises to the point when I have to clean something over and over again. I take alcohol and clean something I believe is dirty but I don't clean it million times like I used to before. I made such a great progress concerning OCD because I developed more self-confidence. I truly believe that self-confidence is the key when it comes to OCD. Of course, anti-psychotics that I was prescribed helped me a great deal but still they can't do everything for you, you eventually have to face yourself. So now I can say to myself ok this is my illness I won't let it control me, there is no reason to do this or that because nothing bad will happen. But when I was 16, 17 and 18 I could not do that, I remember I would try to say the same thing ok, I don't have to clean anymore I cleaned it once, this is just an illusion, but my anxiety level was too high I could not take it and I would always fail at preventing myself from performing the ritual i.e. I would start cleaning over and over again. I guess I was too weak, and the main problem was that my self-confidence was low or non-existent :D I really think that developing your self-confidence will help you a great deal. I remember my psychiatrist used to tell me ok today go and pay bills or something similar, that will help you, I didn't believe her, I isolated myself and did nothing, and my condition got worse. It all began to improve when I took my obligations seriously and when I pledged to do them every day. Simple things like paying bills can bring about change indeed. Through that and my academic achievement I managed to develop my self-confidence and my obsessions no longer control me. Those thoughts are not strong right now, they still exist but they cannot make me clean like a maniac no longer. The bottom line is: Go to the psychiatrist, take the behavioral therapy seriously, and do anything to increase your self-confidence. And never doubt that eventually you'll be able to control your thoughts and behaviors. I used to doubt that, I guess I was too young but I truly believed that I would be a slave to my own obsessive thoughts and compulsions for ever. But guess what, I was wrong. I hope this will help you ;)

• 4 weeks later...

I try to say to myself that 3 yrs ago (b4 i started with certain ocd behaviours) i didn't do X and everything was o.k. so there's no reason now will be different. sometimes it helps, but just a little bit. it is actually a way to help me lower the anxiety level that arises when i don't get to do X (usually because someone interuptted me or other "external" reason).

I have not been diagnosed with OCD but I have rituals.

I wobble my teeth, all the time watching TV, waiting for anything, driving, I wobble my teeth until they hurt. I have managed to stop it on the whole as I noticed my kids keep having their hands in their mouth alot! No wonder. So that has made me stop but I feel anxious. I have spoken to the dentist about it and am assured I am just damaging myself so shouldn't do it. I dunno :(

Other things I have to do, pillows, blinds, locking doors, I have been like this for so long. I can't imagine it any different.

Archived