Mental Health Forums

'all In My Head'

G1rlInterrupted

I'm sick of being told by the person who is supossed to love me that everything I feel is in my head. This person said 'it was all in my head' and that I was mad and basically blamed my illness when actually I was right all along and bthey were lying to me. So now i've seen something again with my own eyes and I'm being invalidated by this same person telling me the things i've seen them do are again all in my head.

So confused and frustrated by them.

(((((bug hugs)))))

I have been told this too,ARGHHHHH,It annoys me,I think people like this DO NOT understand mental ilness,I got used to it in the end and let it go in one in ear and out the other,I know it can hurt but at the end of the day you know that's it's not all in your head.xxx

I think it's good to have someone else be able to suggest when ideas might just be your own paranoia - however, this won't be a good idea when that person is someone who's lied to you before and has obviously broken the trust. I would maybe tell him that while you value his input, his previous history has given you reason not to trust him...

I have the exact opposite problem. People are scared to tell me when they think I'm being paranoid; I've just finally convinced one friend to tell me when she thinks I am being paranoid, the other prefers to "stay out of it".

Do you mean this person is actually doing / saying bad stuff that harms you but then insisting its all you and your illness? If so it is abuse. I have been in this position in a house share and it was very damaging to me causing loss of the little self esteem I had and the respect of others who believed what the other person was saying. If this is the case, even if you love them you may be safer out of the relationship.

But, if you mean that they are reflecting back things that you might really be over reacting / very sensitive about then perhaps there may be a way you can help this person learn to communicate this to you in a less damaging way.

Either way, it is a difficult situation and I hope you find a way forward that is good for you. Sending massive hugs.

I used to HATE that! so when I started seeing a shrink I made a "folder" with all the "official" diagnosis and symptoms and other shit so he could sit down and read up about it! So after years of him saying I was just a crazy bitch he finally admitted that I had an illness and it wasn't my fault. lol I had to go through a shit load to get him to realize it tho... (like having my other friends explain it and shit)

But nothing gets me more heated than someone saying "its all in your head" AND SO WHAT IF IT IS! My signature says it all: my world MY WAY lol Hang in there.. dont let him make you feel inferior or insane! Just take it with a grain of salt and keep moving forward! If it gets to were its causing you more problems than you can handle tell him/her TO KICK ROCKS! You dont need that drama in your life!

Archived