Mental Health Forums

Cbt Assessment

BimoUK

So, this Friday at 11am I'm finally going in for my CBT assessment. I'm a bit scared, for a number of reasons.

Firstly, I have no idea what to expect at all. I don't really like spending any amount of time with therapist type people at the best of times, but this is something bigger, it's going to be working out how they're going to help me get better.

Secondly, I'm scared at the idea of having to tell my boss that I'll be needing regular time off for therapy.................the anxiety of it all seems to be outweighing the benefit I'm going to get from it right now.

I had an assessment yesterday I think, if that was Tuesday, for a support group. I haven't done any of these groups or courses for a few years now so kinda forgot what the assessments are like. I was asked how I thought I came across! In my head it was " oh no oh no oh no oh no". So I said vague, she kindly said I was very coherent! CBT is interesting, I have done a short course before and it is all just about getting more coping skills and looking at why you do or feel the way you do. Good luck in the longer term I am quite sure the benefit will outweigh the stress you feel now.

Hi Mr Bimmington H. Tewkesbury-Hawke :)

Can understand why you would feel like that, especially with that far-from-understanding boss. Really hope you can find a way through it all and that therapy turns out to be something you eventually look forward to.

So, I had my CBT assessment this morning.

The therapist was a nice, older gentleman, with a broad southern Irish accent, which made understanding him a little difficult and I had to ask him to repeat himself a number of times.

I had to fill out the standard questionnaire, I'm sure you've all done it, the one where they score what level of low mood/depression you are at. I came out as I always do - "High Risk".

He then moved on to ask me a load of the normal questions, had me bring up a load of stuff that contributes to the way I feel, so I've had all that rolling round my head all day. After that he said that the waiting list for therapy was 5 to 6 months and that he was going to see about treating me in conjuction with the CMHT as his department was equipped to deal with crisis/emergency stuff and as I was high risk I need that in place - at least, I think that's what he meant.

He told me he'd be in touch next week to explain how things would move on from here.

Don't really know how I feel about it apart from thoroughly exhausted.

Assesments are always exhausting, it can be hard just going somewhere and meeting a new person but its very hard going through everything, talking about your emotions, worrying about what might happen. I hope you'll come to feel it was a positive experience but feelings are so complictated, it can take a while to work that out. I hope he gets in touch soon.

Archived