Mental Health Forums

What I Love About Depression

manja.

Know what I really love about depression? Ok, well, maybe, ‘really love’ is a slight exaggeration, but what I really like at least.

When things are going ok, I appreciate it so much more than someone who doesn’t have depression ever could. Things are only going ok, not brilliant, maybe good, and nothing special. I’m just doing normal everyday simple things, and I feel up to them. Housework, going into town, watching TV, reading a book, doing DBT exercises, ironing… getting out of bed! But I appreciate being able to do every one of these things, because I know what it’s like to have a crippling depression that leaves you unable to function, unable to do any of these things, and I appreciate it.

It doesn’t make me either like or love depression, because depression, like all mental illness, and like my BPD, is evil and life-destroying and I would give anything to be free of it. But I can’t, at least not just now. Right now I’ve to live with both depression and BPD, and who knows what tomorrow and the next day will be like, but right now I am ok, and I appreciate being ok, and being able to do simple everyday things like someone without depression ever could, and I’m grateful for that.

Trying to remember.

I think suffering is good for the soul as it is only when you lose something or think you have lost something you can truly appreciate it.

"Life is difficult. This is a great truth, one of the greatest truths. It is a great truth because once we truly see this truth, we transcend it. Once we truly know that life is difficult-once we truly understand and accept it-then life is no longer difficult. Because once it is accepted, the fact that life is difficult no longer matters."

M. Scott Peck

The Road Less Travelled

I know what you mean manja. I had a couple of days of calm and peace this week and it was beautiful and wonderful. Everything felt fresh and clean...back in misery again now but I live for that relief. It keeps me going.

Me too, seems to have hit a nerve or something.

cats, i noticed you edited your original responses. did you save them before editing, as they were a response to my post, and i liked them? thank you x

dep is shit - no doubt about that... but yuo got a choice, yuo can see it as shit and only shit and believe there is absolutely no good that comes of it, or you can try look for the positives in your suffering... and yes there are some... which i think is exactly what you are trying to get across in your post...

for instance, for me, the thing that helps me when considering my suffering is the fact that i can take my experiences and knowledge and understanding and use it to help others... only today i actually had a real life friend in crisis and i was able to help him cos of what i been through... it kinda makes my suffering a lil easier to cope with...

and like you i also hold onto the good days and yeah i guess i prolly appreciate them more than a non-dep sufferer...

dont get me wrong - i would love to be rid of this shit forever, but i am not, so atm i make the best i can do with the cards i am dealt...

dep is shit - no doubt about that... but yuo got a choice, yuo can see it as shit and only shit and believe there is absolutely no good that comes of it, or you can try look for the positives in your suffering... and yes there are some...

for instance, for me, the thing that helps me when considering my suffering is the fact that i can take my experiences and knowledge and understanding and use it to help others... only today i actually had a real life friend in crisis and i was able to help him cos of what i been through... it kinda makes my suffering a lil easier to cope with...

and like you i also hold onto the good days and yeah i guess i prolly appreciate them more than a non-dep sufferer...

dont get me wrong - i would love to be rid of this shit forever, but i am not, so atm i make the best i can do with the cards i am dealt...

thanks Villan. you think very similarly to how i am thinking today, and being able to hopefully help others as a result of it, is the other really great thing about it for me.

of course, i'd prefer to be rid of it, and to take it away from everyone else too, but since that can't happen, its best to try to look for the positives i think :)

What I love about depression is losing weight! (Apologies I'm not usually this shallow :) )

lol its the opposite for me though.

i comfort eat a lot. or cos of my depression i just couldn't be arsed cooking proper meals and just snack on take-aways and junk food and stuff, so i put on weight :P

i comfort eat a lot. or cos of my depression i just couldn't be arsed cooking proper meals and just snack on take-aways and junk food and stuff, so i put on weight :P

Lol, I get too depressed to eat!!

• 1 month later...

I know exactly how you feel. It feels amazing doing simple things that most people do day to day and don't even think about! Depression can be so debilitating that even getting through another day can feel like a huge achievement.

I have the same sort of thoughts as you, it's nice to know someone feels the same way :). Keep up that stunning work and things can only get better!

Going back to the original post...

...yes I do understand this, though I think it is more retrospective. Depression is horrible and when you are fully immersed in it everything just seems hopeless. Its only when you start to recover that you develop a greater appreciation for life and you start to see the positive side of it. So I think thats why some understand this and some people don't, it just depends where you are in the recovery process.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with you manja, I eat eat eat and so that when I'm feeling good again (like now) I have the weight issue to deal with...annnoyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyying! But at least I'm feeling good encore :)

• 2 weeks later...

"Life is difficult. This is a great truth, one of the greatest truths. It is a great truth because once we truly see this truth, we transcend it. Once we truly know that life is difficult-once we truly understand and accept it-then life is no longer difficult. Because once it is accepted, the fact that life is difficult no longer matters."

M. Scott Peck

The Road Less Travelled

OMG I love that. Thank you so much for sharing it.

Archived