Mental Health Forums

Why Do Some People Think Its Funny To Prank Call Helplines?

Fuck-My-Life

I have just seen loads about prank calling Childline etc on Youtube. Its not even funny, the kids doing it just make themselves look thick.

The worst was a 999 one. I work for the NHS and it sickens me my money is wasted going on idiots making these calls.

What is your perception on why people do this? And have you ever had to ring a helpline, its been engaged for ages, and you wonder if the line is being held up by people taking the piss or in genuine need?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I assumed due to call tracing this didn't really happen anymore? I remember being a young kid and doing it, we used to dial 999 and put the phone down.

I watched a programme a few weeks ago and it was like the police had been called to the same address 18 times in 1 weekend due to the tenants being very drunk and druggie. I was quite angry. What a complete waste of time and money.

I used to do the same thing when I was younger!!!... I guess it is just some thing " some kid's do "... But yeah I must be thick for doing it then!!!...

i work for childline and we get lots of prank calls, we are trained to take these seriously so that the youth knows its ok to call again if they are ever really in need, it can be frustrating, but we have to just accept these calls, as for prank calling 999 i think this is more serious, an tough on the workers, lets hope it doesnt affect to many xx

Its just wrong. There are many kids being abused and wanting to hurt themselves out there, how can they get through if someone is prank calling the line? Its one thing to prank call a pizza place, its a different matter when someone is in real need or in danger.

Because I did, I was a kid and we was funny to us!!! We had nothing else to do...

Many many people have done it and some won't ever say they have...

Plus it is easier to joke call them then really call them... How can kid's really get some things out, When they're hurting, So they turn into joke calling and saying things like it, But laugh with their friends and act like it is not real...

PLUS by you saying them kid's make themselves look thick, Well do they still look thick to you, If they have been abuse'd and hurt themselves but cannot talk about it, So only joke call them places and film it with their friends???...

ALWAYS open your eyes to things like this!!!... SOME OF THEM THICK LOOKING KID'S WHO JOKE CALL THEM PLACES HAVE AND ARE STILL BEING ABUSE'D AND HURTIN THEMSELVES!!!....

I think when we are kids we don't fully understand. When I was around 6 years old ringing 999 I didn't understand the consequences at all.

If you were abused, then why do it? It doesnt make sense.

IF I WERE ABUSED??? Are you trying to say I wasn't or that you don't believe me???... Fuck this shit!!!

I was asking a genuine question on a general forum about it. So I am sorry if you are trying to turn it into an argument/I have triggered you in anyway. If you dont believe me re kids being silly, have a look at the ones on Youtube.

FML, i can't see anywhere that it's been suggested that it's not believed about the youtube stuff.

Also, you may have been asking a question, but maybe take a look at the wording, and you might understand why it's easy to take offence etc. It does come across as judgemental, rather than a question.

I used to call childline from a phonebox, with 2 or three friends stood next to me, and give my first name - real name - and say about how i was abused a few years before, how my step-dad used to batter me, how he left and my mum used to batter me BECAUSE he left, and how she'd drink..... The other kids who were with me would be pissing themselves laughing, and when i got off the phone they used to congratulate me on "being a top fucking trickster", used to tell me i should be an actress, I sounded so genuine.... I used to say "yeahh, i just remembered how i felt when my dog died, it was easy as."

They didn't know that everything I said on the phone was the truth, to them it was prank calls, to them it was a laugh, and they wet themselves at my incredible imagination, mocked certain turns of phrase that i used during the call.....

To me, that was the only way I could get it out.

Not everyone is some evil fucker clogging up the lines to stop others getting help, and they're certainly not thick, regardless of what you think. Not everything is as black and white as you seem to think, you don't know everything, so get off your high horse, yeah?

I dont think anyone tried to deliberately hurt anyone else here. FML I can understand your frustrations, but really, where I work, it is very common for the abused to to prank call, their abuse may not be so obvious, maybe they are neglected and have nothing better to do, alone alot, so they phone for a laugh, it is inconsiderate to others, but those kids are just that, even 18 year olds, an even the ones who may not be abused they be being bullied, or lonely, an they only time they can interact without judgement is calling these lines. Sorry this frustrates you I can understand it, but now with my training I see the bigger picture. xx

It just makes me upset, as I have worked with vulnerable people of all ages and I know that some kids have been ringing Childline desperately for hours in need.

And the 999 thing; I had to attend a Road Traffic Accident once, and there were people in shock. Thankfully everyone was ok, but it may have been worse, the emergency services came straight away. But I knew a guy locally who died at a scene and the ambulance took forever. He wasnt my best friend, but I knew him and went to the funeral, there could have been many reasons for why it was late. And it fills me with dread if Nan ever has a bad turn and requires the emergency services...

Obviously, I have rattled a few feathers, which wasnt my intention in the first place. I am FUCKING PISSED OFF at being told to "get off my high horse" which I wasnt fucking on in the first place, anyone who works for the NHS could maybe spare some sympathy. Heart rate is up and shaky so prob best to take some time off here.

maybe it does piss you off, maybe it does upset you, but that doesn't excuse speaking to other members like shit. and, for another thing - to say "IF you were abused...." how invalidating do you wanna be? how much pain do you wanna cause, exactly? she'd already said that she had been, why throw that into doubt?

Once again, think about the way you word your "simple questions" and the following responses, instead of always being so confrontational to anyone who dares to voice an opinion that differs from your own. you bite, people are gonna bite back, as you know.

Ideally, for you to stop speaking to me like shit. Caps really give me a headache, y'know?

Won't happen though, so i'll settle for a hot choc.

lets leave it at that then with regards to have a go at each other,. Stay on topic now, maybe the words were antagonising but an apology has been given

Before reading this thread I had always thought that prank calling was stupid and, in some cases, dangerous for others who might genuinely need help.

I'd never considered that there might be some kids out there who use the guise of prank calling in front of their friends to actually speak of some of the things that are happening to them, that it might be the only way they could ever get someone to hear them. It's certainly given me a new perspective on things.

Archived