Mental Health Forums

Why Do Some People Think Its Funny To Prank Call Helplines?

Fuck-My-Life

You know lets just stick with basic respect here.

We do not need to invalidate or judge each other we have all had plenty of that in our lives.

We do not need to swear at each other we have all had enough of that also.,We all get hurt very easily and we should keep this in mind.

And none of us know it all, as Bimo just said, he didn't realise.

I think a typo can be made without a barrage of foulness. It only demands a modicum of self control.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am now a grown up but when I was a child I would call 999 on many occasions I would NOT think of others at the time as I did not know what I was doing and I did NOT stop to think that others were in need.

I think also kids are kids and will do this kind of stuff.

Please everyone let's not argue (((hugs)))

kids learn what is right and what is wrong by making mistakes and learning from them and this is the same with this, unless somone tells them/shows them, they are not aware of the consequences, ie ambulance been sent to a prank call instead of an emergency etc, same with fire, police etc.

yes I seen the crisis post, you've no need to let it get to you, just ignore them -

there are dickheads out there that prank call, we all know people do, its a big problem right across the emergency services and helplines, but yeah its true some out of prankness reveal their real hurts.

But we all recognise there are dicks out there that prank call for the hell of it and its not right, and not justifiable at least amongst us adults

I'm sorry manja, but no one seems to give a shite someone may be dying of a heart attack, their girlfriend dying in a road traffic collision etc. Thats why I'm angry and sad.

FML hun,It is easier maybe to just walk away,I know that you're upset it is sad to watch so many people being hurt by this.xx

yes I seen the crisis post, you've no need to let it get to you, just ignore them -

there are dickheads out there that prank call, we all know people do, its a big problem right across the emergency services and helplines, but yeah its true some out of prankness reveal their real hurts.

But we all recognise there are dicks out there that prank call for the hell of it and its not right, and not justifiable at least amongst us adults

an adult prank calling is very wrong but children that do it for fun, usually have some underlying reason, it may not be easily found, as a counsellor for childline, we are encouraged to let them call even pranking, so they know we are here regardless, which is something a lot of callers dont have, someone to just blow off steam etc

FML,I know but there is so many bad things happening in the world and it would be great if we could all stop it from happening.

Having angry exchanges on here won't help you or anyone else. You are clearly very caring and didn't intend for this topic to roll the way it has. Don't now get caught up in the argument here which causes more pain, the very pain you are upset about.

and taking a status I said and thinking it MUST be about you despite the fact I have defended you.

I had you previously on ignore because you did the exact same thing, you juimp to conclusions, go down people's throats and here I am stupidly defending you.

Back on ignore.

Had you on ignore in the first place Gun, as I was fed up with BS.

Right, I am logging off now, as fed up. For anyone else I have upset, I am sorry, but I am fucked off anyways. Night all x

Goddamnit. I missed a fight :(

Not read the thread and not that interested in the fighty bit but figured I'd offer my gobsworth...

I think that winding up the emergency services (the police don't count here) is really shitty but the waywardness of youth is only just about a legitimate excuse.

In terms of say the Sams. As much as they were a good distraction as opposed to a positive influence in my darker days, I do respect their phone/text service.

However, last month when I was at a festival, I was looking at a phone charging stall which just so happened to be next to a Sams tent. I ended up getting approached by one and being a polite individual, I naturally engaged in conversation. I really didn't want to delve into the depths of my being but the conversation dictated a course in this direction and as a result, I was triggered to severe fuck. Consequently, what was a neutral mood swiftly turned into one of terminable fantasies.

For the rest of the weekend, I trolled the fuck out of the Sams by presenting them crisis stories of both epic and absurd proportions depending on who I was talking to.

I did this purely out of spite and even having had nigh on a month to think about my actions, I still feel fully vindicated and do not give the slightest fuck because whilst it could be argued that I was preventing good charitable work being done, I was also preventing somebody from being unnecessarily triggered.

Nice! Well, the Samaritans have done nothing but good by me.

Fed up with this shit, going to look at deleting my account if I can (buggered if I cant). Its clear that I dont "fit" in and people always seem to take the bloody piss "Goddamn I missed a fight"- thanks a bunch.

Just going to get on with it now, I will seek support from elsewhere.

Goddamnit. I missed a fight :(

Not read the thread and not that interested in the fighty bit but figured I'd offer my gobsworth...

I think that winding up the emergency services (the police don't count here) is really shitty but the waywardness of youth is only just about a legitimate excuse.

In terms of say the Sams. As much as they were a good distraction as opposed to a positive influence in my darker days, I do respect their phone/text service.

However, last month when I was at a festival, I was looking at a phone charging stall which just so happened to be next to a Sams tent. I ended up getting approached by one and being a polite individual, I naturally engaged in conversation. I really didn't want to delve into the depths of my being but the conversation dictated a course in this direction and as a result, I was triggered to severe fuck. Consequently, what was a neutral mood swiftly turned into one of terminable fantasies.

For the rest of the weekend, I trolled the fuck out of the Sams by presenting them crisis stories of both epic and absurd proportions depending on who I was talking to.

I did this purely out of spite and even having had nigh on a month to think about my actions, I still feel fully vindicated and do not give the slightest fuck because whilst it could be argued that I was preventing good charitable work being done, I was also preventing somebody from being unnecessarily triggered.

I find this fascinating. No one ever stopped to think that they could upset someone trying to have a good time and forget issues. I am sorry you had this experience due to some over zealous do gooders and I admire your honesty.

Would it be worth emailing them and telling them what happened, in so far as triggering you?

Honesty can be both a curse and a blessing...

I don't see what harm can be done sending them an e-mail and I guess I could probably get round to it later this week although I think my point would be better articulated without all the swearing!

I'm a Samaritan

I don't VOLUNTEER there to trigger people - I am trained to listen, you can only be triggered if those issues are already there

Thinking you are saving people from being triggered seems a bit of a cop out to me, an excuse for childish behaviour

however

You are entitled to call Samaritans any time you want and we will be there for you, especially seeing as you seem to have some issues that clearly need working through :)

We get a lot of pranksters at Sams. It's all good though. We try to have some understanding. And from a personal point of view, I did it when I was younger but only because it was the only way I could talk, make it into a joke. Don't agree with the whole 999 thing but will admit to doing it as a kid in the kids homes...why? Because my mates egged me on and I wanted to be popular for the first time in my life. Yeah, I regret it. But we don't know what is going on behind those laughs etc. when we watch people apparently just doing it for a laugh

Archived