Mental Health Forums

I Find The Mods Here Over Ambitious.

CaTsEyEs

As the title says. We are all adults there was no need to lock the thread about prank calling last night other than to say "Look at me look at me I HAVE THE POWER". It was a debate, yes it was at times not great but it was a valid debate.

I do think here that there is little intervention needed by the mods I doubt if it was in reaction to reported posts.

I think locking posts should be an absolute last resort, read back that thread and you can see it was not the case at all.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is much much much much more constructive to remove individual posts or to edit as mod than to lock a topic.

Whichever way you do it, someone will end up being unhappy about it.

You can't please all of the people all of the time.

True true.

I think reflection does not have to be a negative thing and I don't mean this in a negative way, it is simply my views.

I locked it because it had become personal. Read through the thread. There was a big fight going on in there which was NOT constructive for anyone. Read the rules - no personal disagreements to be brought onto the forums. You agree to adhere to these rules when you join. If you don't like, then don't join :) and certainly don't complain just to start another argument. Not really sure of the purpose of this post other than to start another argument and to get peoples backs up.

This is a personal attack against the mods, so I will be locking it and I feel fine in locking it. If you have an issue, I suggest you message Lily as you obviously don't agree with the way I do my job :)

I have unlocked it. This is not a personal attack against the mods, it is an opinion and one that seems to have some foundation to it.

Topics and posts should never be closed and mod powers should never be used unless it serves the greater good. The greatest power any of us have is the ability to speak through issues and come to a conclusion. Im not saying this is always going to result in everyone agreeing but it should mean that people can agree that opinions differ. It all boils down to respect.

In that case I will ask you Toaster not to make personal attacks on me but PM me in future. I apologise for the title of this topic. :)

when i was a mod i found it a continual learning experience.

its hard to know(well for me it was)when to lock or invisable a post.you just have to use your judgement and then lilly and josh decide whether or not its okay,

aurora is right,,there will always be someone not happy with a thread being locked or not locked.some go on pages and pages of insults and are left..yet others can be nipped in the bud so to speak before they get to that point..

my point is...well i dont have one :party: its just hard as a mod to figure what to do.cos in the terms personal attacks arent permitted.

*finishes rambling*

I agree DD. Last night when I logged off I thought the topic about prank calling was getting out of hand, this morning I read it and I didn't think that at all and thought it was locked without good reason. So I had a different opinion this morning than last night.

I don't think being a mod is an easy or always popular role and it is donating your time and experience for free and I am aware of that.

so can you clarify this for me please ?

a member has a beef with a decision a mod has made

and instead of pm'ing that mod, or asking Lily to look at it, they are allowed and subsequently encouraged to bring it to the forum posting their grievence with no ambiguity as to teh thread in question or indeed the mod involved, publically accuse that mod of abuse of power, and that is not construed as a personal disagreement ?

so can you clarify this for me please ?

a member has a beef with a decision a mod has made

and instead of pm'ing that mod, or asking Lily to look at it, they are allowed and subsequently encouraged to bring it to the forum posting their grievence with no ambiguity as to teh thread in question or indeed the mod involved, publically accuse that mod of abuse of power, and that is not construed as a personal disagreement ?

That's a pretty good point :)

The message was posted and directed to the mod team rather than at one mod specifically. It was the mod themselves that offered up the information that it was indeed them to close the thread.

Mods here are encouraged to take feedback and grow with the position.

it might have been addressed to the mod team, but it singled out one occasion in particular, and it is a fact that the post in question is still locked with the "i have locked it" post by the mod who locked it still being visible to everyone... so irrespective of whether she chose to "offer up the information" in this thread, it doesnt take a genious to work out who locked it and who the post is really aimed at...

i agree that sometimes moderator action shuold be questioned and indeed debated, but not in the way it has been done here.

I do not have an issue with the way in which it was posted in the start of this thread, this being said the member involved may wish to consider your view.

Hey

Ok, I fucked up. And for that I am sorry.

I wasn't being over ambitious or exerting my power. I've been a member here for 3 years but a mod for about 3 months and I am still learning. And tonight I have learnt when to lock and not lock topics, when to vanish posts and when to merely sit back and keep an eye...

I may well fuck up again. I'll try my hardest not to and look for more guidance in the mean time until I am as sure as I can be.

So. I am sorry for any confusion caused.

Toast

Topics and posts should never be closed and mod powers should never be used unless it serves the greater good. The greatest power any of us have is the ability to speak through issues and come to a conclusion. Im not saying this is always going to result in everyone agreeing but it should mean that people can agree that opinions differ. It all boils down to respect.

so are you going to unlock the original post then ?

Lilly has been notified of my view. She may have a perspective i need to consider so a discussion needs to take place between us prior to a decision being made.

Hey

Ok, I fucked up. And for that I am sorry.

I wasn't being over ambitious or exerting my power. I've been a member here for 3 years but a mod for about 3 months and I am still learning. And tonight I have learnt when to lock and not lock topics, when to vanish posts and when to merely sit back and keep an eye...

I may well fuck up again. I'll try my hardest not to and look for more guidance in the mean time until I am as sure as I can be.

So. I am sorry for any confusion caused.

Toast

We all fuck up no matter how experienced, its how we learn.

* Wonders if this will happen all the time a post gets " Lock'd " Now ... * ... I think Poppy Pop Tart was RIGHT to of Lock'd that post this morning!!!...

Yes Villan I have thought about it and I agree with you.

This topic was not directed at 1 mod, however, as it was 1 mod I was giving an example of it very much looks like a personal attack and that was not my intention. I have no idea if Toaster was asked to lock that topic or decided herself to lock the topic. I myself was very very surprised that this topic was re-opened.

I am sorry Toaster as I did not intend to make a public show or complaint about you.

Archived