Mental Health Forums

Gaining Weight

~eleanor~

I have been overweight and anorexic.

I was anorexic up until the year before. I moved area and reinvented myself. I still have friends in my old area but I haven't seen them since I moved. I'm so scared. They knew me as the anorexic, skinny one. Now I am not that.

Does anyone understand? I am well into my recovery but this has been an issue for months now. My friend keeps asking me to visit and I really want to see her. But I am so scared she will be like 'OH MY GOD YOU GOT SO FAT!'. I can't see that she just wants to see me. She has reassured me this isn't the case. She has reminded me that the last time I did see her I wasn't 'that anorexic'.

I need to bite the bullet and go. But I just was wondering who can relate?

:bigarmhug[1]: aww Eleanor, im sure she just wants to see u for who you are and not wot u look like.... bite the bullet and go and see her ^_^

I'm sure she's going to be so happy to see you, and happy to see that you have put on weight!

Just remember, image isn't everything and your real friends will love you no matter what!

I hope you go, let us know how you get on :)

kizzycat ~ if someone has body dysmorphia, its not that easy to think "image isnt everything" and putting on weight is a big thing for them. i feel ur post was a little insensitive towards Eleanor.

I was just trying to help, I think saying 'im sure she just wants to see u for who you are and not wot u look like' is pretty much the same as 'Image isn't everything'. I don't want Eleanor to be feeling like this, it must be so hard and upsetting to be going through this and just wanted to be encouraging.

Eleanor - you are a beautiful person and I hope you go to see your friend :) I'm sure they are really looking forward to seeing you! x

i know how eleanor feels

she wants to see a friend

but she doesnt want her friend to 'see' her

thinness was her best friend, now its not...its her enemy

((((eleanor)))) its ok

people love u . and they will love u even more when u are brave and present urself to them. i know its hard. but uve been thru so much more. this is a walk in the park

Archived