Mental Health Forums

Who Knows You Have Bpd?

Tray

87 members have voted

1. 1. who knows you have BPD

• everyone
    • family
    • close friends

Hi, my partner, therapist, social worker, psychiatrist and GP thats it and maybe some of the staff at the hospital and the other mental health place but thas it and well everyone here but i never tell anyone, anyone i do know don't even know that i have mental health problems let alone BPD i am so afraid of being judged on the label that has happened once already with a social worker who was horrible to me when i was suicidal and needed someone they made me feel like i was worthless and that was him judging me on my label without even knowing anything about me so now i make sure no one knows.

kids (adult) (son was first person i ever told)

hub

2 friends

mh team/gp

a few assorted people that hub seems to have told (HOPEFULLY NOT his family)

old boss

(parents will NOT BE told)

dont really see that telling people will automatically bring stigma - seeing as how most people have never heard of personality disorders

(NONE of us, family or friends, had a clue what they were, including me)

hub dismissed it totally (3 yrs ago)

but since he was 'talked to' by a pdoc in june - he seems to think its true now ???????

oh and did tell brother 3 yrs ago, and sent him some info, dont think he ever read it, dont think he believed it either

people tend to read the stuff about 'abuse/cutting/sui attempts/sex' and think oh well thats not walker at all so she doesnt have it

tbh walker doesnt think she has it most of the time, either, because it is a real biggie to accept that all the shit in your head, and your temper, intense emotions, volatile behaviour, depression, anxiety, anger etc etc - could possibly POSSIBLY be down to an 'illness' or disability or whatever catagory it is currently sitting in

rather than it just being she is inately bad/wrong/nasty/misterable/rude/ etc etc

not sure that is clear but whatever (1hour delete time)

I think that is why my psyche doc says not to talk or dwell on it because like you said Tray it explains some behaviours and maybe enables them? I dunno I have never fitted in and I have never tried so it didn't mean that much to me.

I write that but I am secretly glad my husband doesn't think I have BPD! :lol:

Only my sis has taken me to task for it, saying she knows I have a PD but, this is gone on too long, lol.

:devil: Obviously it's just something you decided to have for the fun of it!

So far just my parents, my sister, my 2 bestfriends, and another close friend. I've been told it may not be BPD precisely (psych was considering possibly a variation of bi-polar, cyclo-something or other) so I'm trying to keep the deets a bit more to myself this time.

I have told other people that I'm going on anti-dep's without explaining why, however.

could it be cyclothymia plastic? they thought i had that at first, then settled on bpd.

my family knows, work knows, college knows. pretty much anyone i deal with on a regular basis so they know why i'm fine one minute then breaking down the next.

My wife only. And since I have no symptoms at all now—maybe it's the disappearing with age thing—we both wonder if I ever had it at all. Weird, huh?

I voted everyone, though everyone does not know.

Psch, CPN and GP know. Hubby knows, and wider family just know about the depression. People I work with know I have a mental illness but I only say what if they ask directly and I am comfortable to tell them, and some friends know. It's not a secret but neither do I tell people as a metter of course because it does have a stigma attached to it.

My mum, My sister , ( My brother ) , Fish Face my sister's best friend, An old school " friend " , a few ex " friends " and a family friend "/... They're the only one's who I have told that I have BPD myself... I am not sure ( Well I know ) My sister would of told her BF :angry: ... A few of my sister's friend know I am a little weird and have problems but that is because I live with her and see her friends plus some of them know I have been in hospital at times, But I am better with them now as I do talk to them if they talk to me first of course ahaha... Plus I do have scars on my arms and if they look they would see them I guess so any " normal " person wouldn't really have scars like it, So they would know they is some thing " fucked up " with me...

I was recently diagnosed with Bpd, but my tharapist does not want me in a group yet because my schizoafective disorder is not in check. I said really you mean you don't want me to go in there and start talking about witches demons and angels. She said no

I went to a dental hospital last week for an assessment on my wisdom tooth and I didn't mention anything about the BPD or the psychotic symptoms although he must have been able to tell from my meds about the psychotic stuff - I only mentioned the depression. I don't often come into contact with people who don't have MH problems most of the people I know now do have some problems and this visit to the dentist made me realise just how paranoid I am to admitting it to people without MH problems.

Re: Labels

BPD has other names - ones that I MUCH prefer! I read somewhere that it's also called 'Emotional Dysregulation Disorder' but the one I use to the three (so far) people I have told is: 'Post Traumatic Psychological Disorder'. I like this name the best because it acknowledges that the illness is not MY fault AND I wasn't born with it, perhaps most importantly though - it's not incurable.

Much love guys,

JJ xxx

I have picked close friends, as it is only two people that know (excluding counsellor etc). One is my bf and the other is a close friend. I can't tell my family. With my permission the counsellor phoned up my mum to tell her I wasn't well, but didn't get a good response. So now I've made the choice that she is not to be told anything about my mental health :(

Impulsiveness and not thinking before I open my mouth is one of my main problems ... so nearly everyone I talk to knows!!

So far I've not had any negative stuff at me ... and the best response had to be "At least it's only Borderline!" Ah! ignorance! XD

• 3 weeks later...

I suffer badly from verbal diahorrea. So I tell anyone If it comes up.

I often tell ppl that it's bipolar though.

Firstly cos the majority of ppl know about it and sympathise with it.

Secondly cos I think that's why I have, not bpd. But I am just the lowly patient living through this shit. Ggggrrrr.

I find it helps that most ppl know about my issues, cos when I am too hyper they can gently reign me in, or I turn aggressive if ppl tell me off.

Also if I am suddenly distraught over something trivial, they don't dismiss my feelings, cos thy are very real to me!

And it deffo helps that the school know, so they can help me with kids when necessary. Luckily my kids school is really supportive.

My family are not sympathetic or supportive. They seem to think I need to snap out of!!! And that it reflects badly on them??!!!??? Wtf!!!!

They lecture me endlessly on money spending, buying pets, having another baby. But it doesn't occur to them that if they were more supportive I prob wouldn't do these things. I don't mean I do them on purpose, but left to my own devices .......... Lol.

So I totally understand about not telling family. And I have told ppl at work. Sometimes it's been a good thing to do. A couple of times it was a very bad decision :( but I figure that's not my prob, it's theirs. I would rather spend time around genuine ppl anyways.

Good luck with your decision to tell or nOt, let us know what u did

XxxxxxxX

Work don't know why would they? It's really only visible in relationships, and in order to be normal I've resigned myself to being single until I pop my clogs.

I started off telling everyone, I thought it would be good for raising awareness, I've since learnt that keeping it to myself is the best thing. My mother for example knows I have BPD but still tells people I have bipolar disorder and multiple personalities, which drives me crazy. To be honest I stopped telling people as I got sick of hearing "you don't look ill" what would people rather I did? Run around pretending I'm a unicorn.

Xxx

Too many people know. My experience is that it can and has been used against me.

Now I "just" say that I am emotionally ill. Most people (those who dont know) think I am "just" suffering from depression. And I leave them in the belief.

Elke

thanks everyone for the replies. i have decided not to tell my family, but i may on future tell them i have 'just' depression. i decided this after a chat with my mate and the shrink, as i think if people close to me (in a loose sense of the word where my family is concerned) know the full extent of my condition then it will give me an excuse to behave irrationally more.

My family and close friends all know, but deny that there's anything wrong with me, unless they feel im "making trouble" in which case I am "ill" again and need to go into hospital. :rolleyes: Other people I usually just say I suffer from a mental illness and if they probe me I tell them. Although I dont think I've ever told someone and they have responded with empathy, the general response I get is "theres nothing wrong with you", "we all feel down at times" or "thats rubbish theres no such thing, your just an attention seeker" :blahblah1: <------loving this smilie!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Ive told a lot people, family have brushed it aside really, like, oh yeah its like a cold, hubby is great but doesnt really 'get it''

Me being me tend to tell people to guage their reaction or to shock them depending on my mood.

I like to give the impression I dont give a shit, but inside im longing for exceptance...

I said "family" but that's a bit deceptive really. My mom knows, and one of my cousins who's a nurse as well as a close friend. I don't think any other relatives know I have BPD, but for sure they know something ain't right with me, lol!

Very few of my (few) friends know. I do have one friend I made online a couple of years ago and something let me know it was okay to tell (okay, warn B) ) her that I had BPD. She didn't even know what it was, I had to explain it to her but she accepted me anyway and she has never once let me down--she's a jewel!! :wub:

Archived