Mental Health Forums

Who Knows You Have Bpd?

Tray

87 members have voted

1. 1. who knows you have BPD

• everyone
    • family
    • close friends

I havn't told anyone yet but I'm sure there are people around me who would hazard a guess from previous behaviour :(

I am undecided about telling people - I hate labels too and unfortunately I think the BDP label is one of the worst ones in terms of people getting frightened, backing off PDQ and deciding that suddenly you are 'other'.

Wish it wasn't that way but sadly think it still is for many who have no inkling what suffering with BPD is like.

But also believe that if people don't stand up and challenge these stereotypes how is anything ever going to change in terms of prejudice towards us?

So I'm kind of weighing that one up at the moment .. I think I'll probably land on the side of being open about it and take the consequences in the name of doing my bit to challenge prejudices and ignorance around BDP and other mental health issues.

But I completely understand why some people prefer not to tell anyone; and I may well decide to be selective myself.

It's early days for me yet - despite having this all my life, and being hugely let down by the health service - I have had to diagnose myself (trust me there is no way it is a misdiagnosis - I don't need to have someone with a qualification tell me what I already know about myself).

I am also having to access my own help - it angers me that the system can fail people with BDP - so I think if anything I will speak up about having it because maybe doing so might help in terms of the bigger picture and help in some way. Just my take.

Archived