Mental Health Forums

Varied Diet? Yeah Right!

CrippleAndStarfish

Was wondering if anyone else does/has done similar with this? .....

For the past while, i've been eating pretty regularly for me (meal mid-afternoon then meal mid-evening) and a bag of crisps or something at some point through day.

But the thing is, I eat the same things over and over and over. Today I've had a bowl of nesquik cereal, and am gunnna do a little micro pizza thing just now. I've noticed that this is what i've eaten for the past few days. I go through periods of about 2/3 weeks where I will eat the same thing, either several lots of the same thing throughout the day every day, or have it once or twice a day every day.

The latest one seems to be with nesquik cereal and chicago town pizzas. I've also got a thing for tortilla chips with salsa and melted cheese.

I have no variation in my diet, i pretty much eat the same things day in, day out, and none of them are healthy, minus the one day every couple of weeks where I'll do a stir-fry, or maybe one day a week where i'll go round my nana's and she'll cook something for me, usually a roast dinner.

Is anyone else similar? There's just some block there, with regards to eating anything else. It's like i get comfortable with eating one type of food, or a couple types of food, only, and i can't do anything else.

xxx

just realised, a small bowl of cereal or a small pizza don't really count as meals, i guess. What i should probably have said is "i'm eating something twice a day". xx

yeah

i am pants at looking after myself

the whole shopping-cooking-eating thing

the only time i eat decent stuff is weekends when my mum feeds me

i see it as lack of self care rather than eating disorder per se and also maybe a bit of cba to do with the whole dep stuff...

i live off the same 2 meals - a lidl frozen fish thing with spuds and veg in a sauce that you nuke and their pan fried potatoes which i have with grated cheese... and then snack on nuts and crisps and crap like that...

basically i will eat if someone else does all the work...

my mum does get me salad stuff to bring home and i do munch on carrot sticks, celery and baby tomatoes - i think the key is to get easy stuff... prepared salad and veg you can eat raw is a godsend to my diet...

dunno if any of that wittering helps at all... :wacko:

xxx

I'm sorry to hear you're similar, but as you know, it is a kind of ...twisted... comfort to know that i'm not alone.

The stupid thing is, i am actually alright at cooking, and there's a few meals that I love that i can do really well and are simple too... but if there's just me, then i dont really see the point in doing it tbh.

I think I'm struggling a bit atm too as i still don't have a proper freezer yet, so that means i can't even do any chips or stuff like that, it's just fridge and cupboard food - fun!! also, think would inspire me more to do batches if i had freezer, cause then would mostly be a case of nuking and nomming.

I want to eat better, and it's not that i'm not hungry, I just cannot be arsed at all with all the faff. xxxx

The stupid thing is, i am actually alright at cooking, and there's a few meals that I love that i can do really well and are simple too... but if there's just me, then i dont really see the point in doing it tbh.

yes - i used to do 3 course dinner parties for people when i was married...

I want to eat better, and it's not that i'm not hungry, I just cannot be arsed at all with all the faff. xxxx

and also yes - just me = cba especially if it generates masses of washing up...

i just need a kick up the bum to get motivated to look after myself...

xxx

Yep crippie I am the same, for me though it is because I am fussy, I eat chips everyday and my husband always says aren't I fed up with eating chips? I love them, I also eat Rice Krispies for supper LOL. so yeah I know what you guys are saying.

I never realised it, untill I read this post, but I'm the same to, I usually buy the same things at the supermarket all the time, no variety at all.

ok so a BIG BIG thank you to crippie for this topic...

it gave me the realisation and kick i needed to get off my arse and get food in... and yeah i made a conscious effort to get new stuff and some healthy stuff too :)

i also (thanks to the postit notes all round my house) remembered to make me some sarnies for work today... and i also packed some baby toms and carrot sticks and the obligatory packet of crisps (well you have to have them in a packed lunch - it's the law) and i also got some grapes to munch on...

it's not much but it's a start... sometimes we need a kick up the backside to realise we have let things slide and that it is these things that are contributing to the decrease in mood...

so yeah... i guess i have to make some sort of effort now... and i will try.... but THANKS again crippie for the nudge/kick i so obviously needed to get moving...

xxxx

I took nutrition at uni and I have had and ed for 25 years. I try to make what I eat count so I don't have to purge later. I don't bother with meals really but I do buy healthy foods mostly. Occasionally, I will eat garbage gut food. But, since that just makes me feel blegh I struggle to keep it up longer than 2 days.

I hate to give suggestions because eating is so personal and mostly a private thing in my mind. But, if I am kick starting a new regime, I'll buy 4 healthy things and not go to the store until they are eaten up. Then do it again. The idea is to not let the food rot or give myself a choice to eat weird processed things. While trying to form a new habit. I drink strong coffee and about 44 oz. of water a day. I also eat a very low salt diet rather than low fat. You would be surprised how much stuff gets eliminated when you are watching your sodium intake.

I hope that doesn't sound to ed-ish, I think chips is right about it being a self care thing. But everyone I have ever talked to that lives alone struggles with this, so quite common.

I too never realised til ur topic how crap my diet is!

I eat supernoodles,maybr a sandwich and then crisp.

I hav ibs amongst other stuff and I'm aneamic.

I cook for the kids,veg and healthy food but can't b bothered when it comes to me xx

ok so a BIG BIG thank you to crippie for this topic...

it gave me the realisation and kick i needed to get off my arse and get food in... and yeah i made a conscious effort to get new stuff and some healthy stuff too :)

i also (thanks to the postit notes all round my house) remembered to make me some sarnies for work today... and i also packed some baby toms and carrot sticks and the obligatory packet of crisps (well you have to have them in a packed lunch - it's the law) and i also got some grapes to munch on...

it's not much but it's a start... sometimes we need a kick up the backside to realise we have let things slide and that it is these things that are contributing to the decrease in mood...

so yeah... i guess i have to make some sort of effort now... and i will try.... but THANKS again crippie for the nudge/kick i so obviously needed to get moving...

xxxx

Yayayay!!! Go you!!! I'm so glad this could provide the reminder that you needed, I really am :) Think i may take a leaf out of your book today, and nip to Asda on my way back from meeting (am meeting my new T at 12 - argh!!!) and get some bits in so i can at least do a few proper meals. xxxxxxxx

I took nutrition at uni and I have had and ed for 25 years. I try to make what I eat count so I don't have to purge later. I don't bother with meals really but I do buy healthy foods mostly. Occasionally, I will eat garbage gut food. But, since that just makes me feel blegh I struggle to keep it up longer than 2 days. I hate to give suggestions because eating is so personal and mostly a private thing in my mind. But, if I am kick starting a new regime, I'll buy 4 healthy things and not go to the store until they are eaten up. Then do it again. The idea is to not let the food rot or give myself a choice to eat weird processed things. While trying to form a new habit. I drink strong coffee and about 44 oz. of water a day. I also eat a very low salt diet rather than low fat. You would be surprised how much stuff gets eliminated when you are watching your sodium intake. I hope that doesn't sound to ed-ish, I think chips is right about it being a self care thing. But everyone I have ever talked to that lives alone struggles with this, so quite common.

Hiya Sah :)

Thankyou for these ideas, I hope you don't mind, but i've made a note of the points you've made, and will certainly keep it in mind when doing my food shop - i think it sounds really good. Thank you hun :)

xxx

I too never realised til ur topic how crap my diet is! I eat supernoodles,maybr a sandwich and then crisp. I hav ibs amongst other stuff and I'm aneamic. I cook for the kids,veg and healthy food but can't b bothered when it comes to me xx

Hey Daisy :)

I'm the same, with ibs and have to go for blood tests every 2 months as always have low iron levels so nearly always on tablets. I will cook whatever for Logan, and will do enough for the two of us so we eat together - and i enjoy it! - but with him not being here all the time, when he's not here i just think "ahh, sod it" and will have a crisp sarnie or something like that, then it's just convenience food, loads of stuff shoved in the microwave etc.

xxxx

I saw this on a t-shirt recently and though... that just about sums up my healthy eating habits lol. my-idea-of-a-balanced-diet-is-a-beer-in-

Aha! I like it!!! xxx

Hi Crippie

I did read this last night but couldn't get my head together enough to reply.

I have always loved cooking - buying the ingredients, measuring, weighing and chopping and cooking it all but I have really lost my passion for it. I eat to take away the hunger pains and don't enjoy the preparing of food or eating any more which is sad :( Even when I lived on my own before, I would still shop and cook and really enjoy it even though it was just for myself.

Hubby has been keeping us going for while and we do seem to go through phases of eating the same thing all the time but with him being depressed as well atm - we are just surviving on really easy stuff - cereals, toast and easy things to bung in the oven.

We don't find it hard to eat healthily when we feel like cooking because that's all the kind of stuff that we like anyway.

I have a pile of recipes books and magazines plus a folder that I put together myself full of recipes and I just don't want to look at the atm.

Hubby and I said last night that if we ever won the lottery - we would definitely have our own personal chef!!

I'm glad you brought this up because even though we knew we weren't doing good on the healthy eating thing - I'm hoping this will inspire me to get back to that love of cooking and eating.

xxxx

I've just thought as well - in the literature that I was given when I went for the ME assessment it says a healthy diet is very important.

I'm also beginning to wonder if I've got things back to front because I'm always worrying about getting the housework, the washing, the ironing and hoovering done that I have no energy left for food or cooking it.

Perhaps I should turn things around and concentrate on the food and then I will feel better and have more energy to cope with the housework as well.

Me again!!

I have 'liked' your post Crippie not because I like the fact that you are struggling with your diet atm but because having a healthy diet is something that is very important to all of us here and in particular it has really made me think about the way I have been doing things. So thanks sweets :) xx

Hey i am the same for bout 3 months maybe longer i have eaten hommous and crackers chicken bits and cornflakes every single day i may not eat chicken one day but every day i have corn flakes then hommous and crackers. I was away with family last week and had proper freak out as had to wait a day to find some hommous and soya milk most days i ate hommous snack a jacks or chucken but i also ate other things family had cooked like bit of potato bit of tomato bit of omlette i ate a sandwich and some fish and crisps during my holiday i felt quite ill i have digestive problems but i am totally freaking out now told myself i would stick to variety and try eat thongs that will make me ferl and look good but im.back to hommous and crackers again..... I dont like preparing myself anything else i dont feel i deserve it but i used to be really into super foods now im too scared tp continue eating outside my comfort zone. Xxxx

You should be moderate in your food selection because you are consuming all the fried and junk stuff in whole week so let me tell you that first of you must have to add some vegetables in your food/diet plan.

You should be moderate in your food selection because you are consuming all the fried and junk stuff in whole week so let me tell you that first of you must have to add some vegetables in your food/diet plan.

Ummm, what? :S

Thankyou everyone for your replies, my head is properly mashed at the moment so can't get words out, but thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Will return when brain is working.

xxxxxx

Mmm what? Was my thought to cripie. Hope ya ok and ypur head becomes a little less mashed soon xxxxx

Thankyou hunni. am feeling vaguely more human now haha. xxxx

Archived