Mental Health Forums

How Is Your Memory?

pippab

just a quick one... do 'mental health' problems give you memory loss?

My memory used to be pretty good... now i forget everything..names, what i went into a room for, when my parents say to me 'do you remeber when we..blah blah blah' and i have no memory of it... if im lucky and i think about it long enough an hour or so later i may recall something... but mostly i just dont remember.

i started off with severe anxiety which then due to not going out etc led to depression... my doctor thinks i may be bi-polar but still yet to see anyone to have this confirmed... just wondered if anyone with similar diagnosis is also losing/lost their memory function? and if you did why does this happen and how can i get it back/improve it?

i notice my concentration is terrible depending on how depressed i am.

am constantly worrying about these things since being undiagnosed with b12 deficincy for years which apparently causes memory problems, etc.

got told by a pdoc today that taking anti-d's 'protects' the brain and not taking them is damaging and causes 'brain shrinkage'.

not sure how true any of this is or if she was just trying to scare me into taking my meds properly!

sorry not read above, but yeah, lost a day for every med i took, arseholes stole my brain, now I am a neanderthal, or however the fuck you spell it

I blame mine on disassociative states, not the amnesia kind where you wake up and don't know, but the other kinds where you sort of know what's going on, but you would be hard pressed to recall it in an accurate way, just confetti's of memories. Depression and anxiety mess with concentration and memory. I feel like I have to work extra hard to learn new material, like in school and at work.

But, I do well when I there is a visual connection. I guess sometimes I think my memory is okay, but I don't really trust myself to know.

short term memory is slowly coming back now i am med free and a lil more stable...

long term memory wise, i still have HUGE gaps from my childhood - major things that happened not just the usual forgetting stuff from the past... but i have reconciled myself to the fact that i will prolly never really remember stuff, and maybe that is for the best...

my memory is like a sieve, apparently that's down to a combo of having M.E, medications, stress, and ...well, ust not having a very good memory.

xx

I used to have a fantastic memory but it is absolutely dreadful now - I think mine is down to alcohol damage, meds, depression and ME. xx

Edit - I write everything down in my diary and it is all beautifully colour coded and then I forget to look in the damn thing and still manage to miss appts!!!! :wacko:

I have depression and anxiety and I think a part of that is that I have a really busy mind, I'm always thinking about lots of different things at once, I never hear silence cause my brain is always talking. But maybe that's just me and I just notice more now. Anyway I blame that for my bad memory. :P

Hi Pippa,

My memory of stuff within the last year - 18 months is good, but some stuff before that is blurred or missing.

Some has to do with med use & abuse , and some to do with what Sah eloquently described above , a sort of dissac'.

You mention yr memory was good, but has got bad, do you think there could be a link with meds or a dissociative state?

Best wishes, xx am

My memory is absolutely awful.

I put it down to medication and too many tranquilisers.

My fridge looks like a scene out of the film "Memento" 50 odd post-its stuck on there reminding me of appointments and things i need to do. Aslong as it doesn't get to the point where i need to start tattooing these things all over my body to remember, i should be ok for now :lol:

Aurora :)

well i can't blame mine lack of memory on meds as i only started taking them last year...... but i did feel like i couldn't remember anything even simple words would fail me, used to be great at remembering phone numbers and such but i can't seem to retain them now, events are hazey at best ....names i have struggled with for years, before i was dx i thought i was going senile..... probs am lol

My memory is shocking too. I can't even remember the rest of the original post!!! It feels as though I've always had a shocking memory but then I have been on and off depressed for a very long time. I don't remember anything about my childhood before the age of about 11/12 years and even afterwards it's a bit hazy.

For me it's a combination of mental illness and of medications. I know it's both because I've spent long periods off meds too and still suffered with appalling memory. But if I'm "well" then med-free is definitely better for my memory. It is a FACT that memory problems are a known side-effect of many meds for depression and anxiety.

I have considered hynotherapy to see if my memories are "locked in" somewhere but don't know if I'd ever go through with it...

mine varies. Some things i remember perfectly, usually negative things. then sometimes people mention things and i have no memory of them at all.

Badkitteh... ive only realised how bad its been the past few months or so... medication wise im only on beta blockers. I do have diazepam to take if needed but thats only a couple of tablets few and far between. I have been of a few different antidepressents but none of them for more than a week at the time due to really not getting on with them so i dont think its that.

with the memory thing its even things as simple as remembering the name of someone or something ... like i needed some sandpaper and i just could remember the word sandpaper and found it hard/difficult to describe what i ment/wanted.... its like a weird mental block thats getting me frustrated and starting to worry a bit that my brain is 'shutting down'....... although at least it seems that it seems fairly common with everyone with mental health problems... i think i may do a bit of googling and reserch it (if i remember that is...he he)

My problem is not being able to remember words, so half way through a sentence and stop, as know there is a word I want to use but can retrieve it. Stress definately does things to brain function, like memory so depression probably does the same.

Sorry who am I??? I have forgot :unsure::mellow: ... Mind can be okay and other times it can be really shocking... I have a friend who's memory is awful a lot of the time and we can be talking and she'll start telling me some thing she has already and I just finish the story off for her and she is like " Have I already told you then??? " ...

this cognitive test is good... (i dont think i have alzheimers i was just looking for a memory test) takes about 15 mins. I got a score of 32 so not good at all... pretty much knew that already though

there are a few different test on there and advise on food to help your memory and depression (i think one of my first posts was if anyone has tried a high seratonin diet.. ha ha

http://www.foodforthebrain.org/content.asp?id_Content=1820

Archived