Mental Health Forums

Psychiatric Hospitals

Toxie

Hey guys

I've been thinking increasingly that I want to admit myself. Anyone got any advice on how to do it or any experiences? I've googled lots of stuff but it all seems to be American responses. I'd like to know what actually happens with the NHS etc.

Cheers in advance x

Hi

I would talk to your support team about this - GP, pdoc or CPN.

I think if you present yourself at A&E - they are obliged to give you an assessment but not necessarily an admission.

Why do you feel that you want to be in hospital?

xx

Since my "crisis" appointment when I started self harming I just want to keep doing it. The only thing that's stopping me is I haven't decided where to do it because Its really annoying having to hide my arms every time I go out. When I started self harming it was basically testing the waters to see if I could slit my wrists...but the burning sensation and control I felt when I was cutting was soothing, it just made my mind go blank and it was a wonderful break. But then came a panic attack and a call to NHS 24.

As my husband works mon-fri I'm in the house alone almost all day, some night he has stuff to do also. Like today Im going to be alone till about 10pm. SOoo. I dunno I'm just worried that one day I wont stop at cutting.

Also Id like to be in hospital as I think they give you therapy every day? Not sure though. Im sick of waiting lists and feel i need intensive care

x

Hi, do you have a CPN or therapist you could talk to about this. I have been in hospital twice and to be honest it done nothing for me but keep me safe, i was admitted earlier this year for self-harming i just cut everyday but being in hospital just stopped when i was there but when i came home i still did it, i didn't get therapy everyday i was so bored there was nothing to do and as i was on close obs i wasn't allowed to go anywhere not even outside on my own, i saw a consultant twice and they were useless as well. Its up to you as all hospitals are different and maybe you would get one that was helpful.x

I've been admitted more times than I can remember and most of the time I was either sat in the art room, in the smoking room or in my room.

The only time that I have had therapy every day was when I was in hospital was the first time and I was admitted to a Band A private hospital (had medical insurance with my job).

I agree with Addy that it can keep you safe for the time that you are in there but then you have to cope with it when you come out and I think that the best thing is to try to access some kind of therapy while you are at home to help you stop the self-harming and to learn how to cope with life on a day-to-day basis.

If you are bored all day at home on your own and need distraction could you contact your local MIND and see if there are any support groups in your area that you could go to?

Doctors are reluctant to admit people to NHS psychiatric hospitals as the idea is that most people can be cared for in the community with crisis teams and other support. Therapy is available in the NHS in some areas, but its often time limited and has waiting lists. I went private to avoid these (I pay £35 a session for therapy), but not everyone can afford that.

I hope you get the help you need.

Well I have a docs appointment tomorrow so I'll tell him how I feel and we'll see how it goes.

I dont know If I've just convinced myself I need hospitalisation or if I really do, thats what makes me ask people on forums rather than go to a&e lol. Im starting to get panic attack symptoms just now. Its really weird, my whole body is shaking but my heartbeat and breathing seem pretty regular and only slightly faster that usual. Hopefully I can just talk myself out of it, I hate panic attacks so much :(

Also thanks to everyone for responding x

hi

you really dont want to get admitted to a psych ward in my experience cos they can be quite traumatic places to be. i have been admitted three or four times and each time has been horrid. yes they keep you safeish depends on how determined you are but they are so not nice. the place i was in you didnt even get your own room you were in a dorm with 5 others and if they were struggling too it was often quite a scary place. the food was awful and there was nothing at all to do all day especially at the weekends. there was some group sessions but not a great deal. it is much better to be ablle to be supported at home.

are you under the local cmht if not i would ask your gp to refer you when you see them

Wow, I was kinda hoping it would work :/ It took me 3 years and 2 suicide attempts just to get me on the waiting list to see a psychologist. I cant handle another 3 years of this crap. I mean I dont know how long I can last but I know for sure, not 3 years.

hi

you shouldnt have to wait 3 years no chance. in my area if your gp refers you to the cmht then there is another service that gets involved first and they do all the assessments and see what support and services you need.they have time limits they have to adhere to and i think if its urgent you have to be contacted ans seen within a few weeks if not even days. i still think your gp is the best plan of action and he can do the referrals and get you the support you need urgently.please post and let us know how it goes tomorro with the doc. dig deep and please ask for help otherwise you will just sit waiting alone.

Thanks spud

Gps in my area tend to always refer me to charities and stuff, so they have limited resources and long waiting lists. So I've had "therapy" but it was for 4 weeks - that's 4, 45 min sessions. I didnt know what to do with that, I just told her things that would trouble me that day or piss me off and It was something to think about for 2 days or so. Also I had never heard of a community health nurse or community mental health team till I joined this forum. Do you think I should ASK to get this?

hi

if i were u i would write down all the things you are struggling with cos i can bet you a million pounds once u get in there your head will go and you will forget everything. so tonight write it all down everything even the small things and then take it with you tomorro and either give it to the gp or use it to read from. i did this the first time i ever saw a psychaitrist cos my head was all over the place and i was shitting myself. it helped so much cos he would have just turned me away if i hadnt. so do that tonight or in the morning and take it with you good luck and keep us posted

Oh Toxie I am so sorry that they were like this - it's horrible when it feels like people aren't taking you seriously.

You have got us here and we will support and help you through the next 2 weeks til you see your pdoc.

((((((Toxie)))))) xx

oops you must have posted this just as I was moving it, wasnt sure if anyone would come back to read my update so made a new thread :blush02:

thanks cats x

Archived