Mental Health Forums

How Do You Feel About People With Antisocial Personality Disorder?

Dice

As the title of my post, Say's it all really... How do you feel about people with Antisocial personality disorder??? And how do you feel about people with Antisocial personality disorder traits??? ...

I have only seen one another post on here about this and by what I read, People with ASPD/ASPD Traits aren't very welcome' here by members... I am not going to say if I have ASPD or ASPD Traits right now because I want to see how people " Feel " About it...

So yeah if you have a view on it or anyting, Please tell me and no sugar coating it please...

I do not know anyone with this disorder or traits of it and I've just googled and it must be very hard to cope with if someone does have this both for the person with it and the people around them. I can't really say much more because I don't know enough about it sweets. xxxx

I guess it's the same for any PD or MH problems - I don't think it just applies to ASPD. It is hard for people to understand, there is ignorance and stigma attached to all of these. I am BPD and I know that I have been incredibly difficult to be around in the past and people have either walked away or I've pushed them away.

This was in no way a judgement about ASPD xx

I guess I would be concerned if the person had no conscience because then that enables the person to hurt others without any fear of the comeback...

HOWEVER

I agree with Pie, if that person behaves OK around me, then all good :)

i don't really know much about it. but like all personaity disorders i think there is ALWAYS an individual behind a diagnostic criteria and no one ever can be summed up by the typical characteristics described by a disorder. there is always much, much more to it than that.

edited- because it wasn't really about what you were asking

dont know much about it, so it would have to be based on the individual and how they behave around me

Okay Pammy, Would it be in person and on a forum too or just in person???...

Doesn't bother me.

J.

xxx.

Okay J, Glad it doesn't bother you...

I guess I would be concerned if the person had no conscience because then that enables the person to hurt others without any fear of the comeback...

HOWEVER

Okay Poppy Pop Tart... How would you know if some one with ASPD or ASPD Traits has conscience or not???

As " deception, as indicated by repeatedly lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure; " Is a Trait of it...

i don't really know much about it. but like all personaity disorders i think there is ALWAYS an individual behind a diagnostic criteria and no one ever can be summed up by the typical characteristics described by a disorder. there is always much, much more to it than that.

I agree with you on that, Indeed there is always an individual behind a diagnostic criteria... To be honest I do agree with everything you have said Vivien... So if I was to share that I had ASPD or ASPD Trails it wouldn't put you off and make you think twice about what I post and if I reply back to some one post???

Or are all my Q's some thing none of you can answer me yet??? Because I haven't said whether I have ASPD or ASPD Traits???...

Most aspd's have a conscience, they just do not show it or bury it away - it's different to psychopathy - aspd is more sociopathy than anything.

I have no problems with it. I'm apparently a narcissist with psychopathic traits and people seem to take to me fine, and those that don't then that's their problem not mine. Of course - if one acts out in a negative manner then hostility is to be expected from the other party, regardless of disorder.

id have to agree with pie and toaster, having googled it i have 2 traits.

Not being funny or anything, But are you saying you have two traits of ASPD because you just looked up about it on google??? Or have you been told you have by a PSY???... If you're saying you have two traits of it by looking on google yourself, Please don't!!!... Put it this way many many people have read about BPD and said they have it and then when they have seen a PSY it turns out they don't have it... " Normal " People can feel what a BPD'r does at times, But it doesn't mean they have it...

ok gonna bite the bullet here...

i dont think u have aspd. im not a professional but i do view myself as ur friend :) u love ur animals - u have dori doo in ur signature. u r always supportive, WITH FEELINGS. u hate urself so much cubey, which makes me sad. u r passionate about what u believe in.

none of this is in the criteria

i also believe the majority of ppl have traits of most things. i, for instance, have narcissistic rage. joe blogs down the rd may have abandonment issues.

take care cubey xx

Most aspd's have a conscience, they just do not show it or bury it away - it's different to psychopathy - aspd is more sociopathy than anything.

I have no problems with it. I'm apparently a narcissist with psychopathic traits and people seem to take to me fine, and those that don't then that's their problem not mine. Of course - if one acts out in a negative manner then hostility is to be expected from the other party, regardless of disorder.

Indeed I agree but do you not think some people would be and are " Careful " Around you for having that DX???... I think myself if I was to share people what DX, They would be even more aware of me then " Normal " ... But is that para or not??? Who know's...

dont know much about it, so it would have to be based on the individual and how they behave around me

Okay Pammy, Would it be in person and on a forum too or just in person???...

Doesn't bother me.

J.

xxx.

Okay J, Glad it doesn't bother you...

HOWEVER

Okay Poppy Pop Tart... How would you know if some one with ASPD or ASPD Traits has conscience or not???

As " deception, as indicated by repeatedly lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure; " Is a Trait of it...

I agree with you on that, Indeed there is always an individual behind a diagnostic criteria... To be honest I do agree with everything you have said Vivien... So if I was to share that I had ASPD or ASPD Trails it wouldn't put you off and make you think twice about what I post and if I reply back to some one post???

Or are all my Q's some thing none of you can answer me yet??? Because I haven't said whether I have ASPD or ASPD Traits???...

if you were to share something like that i would without a doubt go by my experience of how you are here- someone who is emotional, hurt, caring and loves animals and NOT what the diagnosis says.

ok gonna bite the bullet here...

i dont think u have aspd. im not a professional but i do view myself as ur friend :) u love ur animals - u have dori doo in ur signature. u r always supportive, WITH FEELINGS. u hate urself so much cubey, which makes me sad. u r passionate about what u believe in.

none of this is in the criteria

i also believe the majority of ppl have traits of most things. i, for instance, have narcissistic rage. joe blogs down the rd may have abandonment issues.

take care cubey xx

But ASPD people do have feelings too, But no the same as some one who doesn't have it... Hell yes That is one thing I will always be is passionate about things I believe in... But believing you have traits of most things, Does it really mean you have it or not??? I am not sitting here thinking I know it all or anything like that, Plus I haven't just been reading about it and thought " Hmmmmm that is me " ... I was told by my New Psy...

Maybe I need to find another site what is for ASPD/ASPD Traits people and things, So I can say stuff on there, As I have many many Q's about it... * Head fuck moment * ...

if you were to share something like that i would without a doubt go by my experience of how you are here- someone who is emotional, hurt, caring and loves animals and NOT what the diagnosis says.

Okay Thank you Vivien... So I am still a " Person " And not just a " Diagnosis " in your eyes...

Hi Dice

I can tell you what I feel about you, and thats that I have always liked you. I think you have a great sense of humour, you wear your emotions on your sleeve and you love your pets. Personally I have never had a problem with you for as long as I have been here

I dont know about ASPD, but I have certainly come across people on here who are very anti-social, with dx's other than ASPD, so as others have said: It depends how the person has treated me. If they hurt me, or hurt the people I am friends with, or are trying to get one over on me, then I'm not going to want to be around them. A person needs to give me a reason to want to avoid them, and a dx alone is not that reason.

I hope that whatever dx they try to hang on you, they give you the support you are needing.

Indeed I agree but do you not think some people would be and are " Careful " Around you for having that DX???... I think myself if I was to share people what DX, They would be even more aware of me then " Normal " ... But is that para or not??? Who know's...

Yes I think so, especially if they don't fully understand it - some people are afraid of what they don't know which makes them wary of others.

There might be people more aware of you - But I suppose if you're capable of trust and you decide to share you can seperate the wheat from the chaff - in other words, you'll know who your friends are.

Hi Dice

I can tell you what I feel about you, and thats that I have always liked you. I think you have a great sense of humour, you wear your emotions on your sleeve and you love your pets. Personally I have never had a problem with you for as long as I have been here

I dont know about ASPD, but I have certainly come across people on here who are very anti-social, with dx's other than ASPD, so as others have said: It depends how the person has treated me. If they hurt me, or hurt the people I am friends with, or are trying to get one over on me, then I'm not going to want to be around them. A person needs to give me a reason to want to avoid them, and a dx alone is not that reason.

I hope that whatever dx they try to hang on you, they give you the support you are needing.

Okay thank you for being honest with me hummm... So your like the same view as Vivien as in you see the " Person " And not the " Diagnosis " The person has... I do agree with you on that, If a person hurt you why would you want to stick around them and things... It is good to hear I haven't scared you off...

i guess u have to listen to the doc, but remember the doc is going on what u have told him.

how do u feel about it?

Honestly I do find it funny, But confusing too... It came as a shock to me, Because I have always asked and asked all of my Psy's what my DX's is, And no one would tell me until she did... Maybe I just add I still do have BPD... She told me I have a very complicated DX's, With everything...

Yes I think so, especially if they don't fully understand it - some people are afraid of what they don't know which makes them wary of others.

There might be people more aware of you - But I suppose if you're capable of trust and you decide to share you can seperate the wheat from the chaff - in other words, you'll know who your friends are.

Indeed I will and I guess in time, I will find out who they really are... I don't think any one can fully understand a diagnosis whether they have it themselves or other people around then, I dunno know... I hope people on here if do they come more " Aware " Of me with my posts and replys, I would hope they would have the " Balls " To say to me about it...

I know they're not the best replies in the world, But my head is still buzzing around...

As the title of my post, Say's it all really... How do you feel about people with Antisocial personality disorder??? And how do you feel about people with Antisocial personality disorder traits??? ...

I have only seen one another post on here about this and by what I read, People with ASPD/ASPD Traits aren't very welcome' here by members... I am not going to say if I have ASPD or ASPD Traits right now because I want to see how people " Feel " About it...

So yeah if you have a view on it or anyting, Please tell me and no sugar coating it please...

We did have a member who joined with ASPD - called Myers - and people were not very welcoming of him. I was one of the few people who stuck up for him!

You asked for views. I don't normally reply to your topics but I wanted to say what I feel about this so am making an exception this one time. If I am honest then I am wary of people with ASPD because I have read many times that they have no conscience, no empathy, that they are manipulative and deceitful and ... worse of all... that they often hurt people.

But then again everyone is different and I try and look at the individual and not the diagnosis. It must be very hard to be an ASPD person, people must be scared of you and you probably don't get much help. And its not your fault if you have ASPD, you didn't ask for it. So, I empathise with people with ASPD. And if people behave nicely towards me, I respect that, whatever their diagnosis may be. And I try to behave nicely back to them :).

Archived