Mental Health Forums

Sleeping Tablets

lauraw2693

Okay I tried all the herbal sleeping tablets I could get my hands on and about 18 months ago gave in and let my psych prescribe a chemical one. I was given Temazepam 20mg, second prescription I got I asked for 10mg instead as the 20s really knocked me out. I've now got 10s but am allowed to double them up if I need to/if they don't work. I don't take them often, haven't really for months, now I'm taking about one or two a week because I'm particularly struggling right now. I also take Diazepam when I need it, few times a week usually, only up to 6mg a day.

I've just been to the doctors to ask if there's a different sleeping tablet I can try as I'm taking them a bit more regularly right now I'm worried that they're both benzos. I know some people here have very strong opinions on this and I know the risks, that's why I went to the doctors. I explained my concerns and he's not given me anything different, he's kept me on both and said the amount I take them I won't become addicted or build up a tolerance. He said there isn't anything else that works as well :worried_anim:

I'm not overly happy with this but I did my normal accept whatever they say and walked off with a prescription for the same.. Maybe I should have gone to talk to my psych rather than GP but I didn't think they'd ever persuade me to stay on benzos.

Anyone got any suggestions what else I could try/ask for?

Hi Shadow,

Personally I don't think there is much wrong with taking a sleeping pill every couple of nights. In my exp., the 'z' sleeping drugs (zopiclone, zalepion etc) are as addictive as the benzo ones. For example, I know a girl who lives near me with a great job in management, great salary, but she spends 200euro a week buying zopiclone. She won't take any other type of pill.

You know yourself if you are wired for addiction, imho. If you are like me (prone to addiction), you would be taking sleeping tablets in the day, there is no way you would ask for a lower dose from your doctor.

Other drugs that may help with sleep would be the anti-psychotics, but they come with side effects too, such as over-sedation he next day, weight gain, etc. Antihistamines (both otc & rx'ed) can help sleep too. These prolly have the least side effects.

Maybe yr dr is right, if you are not taking them daily, aware, and not abusing them at all, it would seem that you are at a lower risk for addiction.

Best wishes xx am

Youre in control so if you make sure you dont start taking them daily youll be fine.You doc and gp obviously trust you and think this is ok and youve tried everything else...

Ive been prescribed Xanax since I was 19,am now 35,never got addicted as I take it only when really needed.

Lily

Really does depend on how you take them - zopiclone is now thought to be just as addictive as benzos! But if you are taking any sleeping tablet a few days a week, as and when you need them, like Lilly says, you sound like you are in control of it and doing just fine.

If you find you feel like you need to take them absolutely every day, maybe talk to your GP again?

Mousexx

'ShadowOfTheDay

The worst advice anyone can give is to say to take benzos as and when needed.

This is because the fluctuating levels of benzo on your nerve receptors can cause havoc.

They need to be take daily, and only for VERY SHORT periods of time.

Sorry to shout, but it has to be emphasized as these drugs are very addictive with nasty withdrawal symptoms.

ALWAYS look on the leaflet in the packet to see how long you are allowed to take them.

Never take one for the allowed time, and then the other as they are all cross tolerant.

How long have you been taking the diazepam?

How long have you been on the temazepam?

If you have been taking temaz or diaz for longer than the time on the leaflet, there is a chance you may have formed a dependency.

NEVER stop them abruptly.

If you have been on them longer than the time on the leaflet,

Visit this site Tranquilliser Addiction, Benzodiazepine Addiction, Battle Against Tranquillisers

Go to the downloads section, found at the top of the page.

On the downloads page, go the the NHS PRODIGY ADVICE paper, and download it. This tells you how to safely come off tranquilisers.

Doctors are clueless about tranquilisers and equally as clueless about coming off them.

Don't take any other benzodiazepines or z-drugs like zolpidem or zopiclone, as these are chemicaly related to benzodiazepines and are cross tolerant.

Worst of all, don't worry.

I was crossed over to 15mgs valium per day, and have tapered really slowly since Feb '10 and now I am on 3.6mgs valium.

It is sad that we place faith in our doctors, who are not trained to know about their medications they give us.

My GP told me z-drugs and valium was not cross tolerant, but my addiction developed from a combination of the two, sticking to doctors instructions.

I hope this helps.

Oops sorry I haven't replied to anyone here, my head's not been mine for a while <_< Thank you for all your replies..

badkitteh, thats what he said as well - if I was getting addicted I would be asking for more not less. I don't think I have a problem at all as I'm sensible with them, I was just wondering if theres any alternative that could be better for me. I've been on anti-psychotics in the past and although they made me sleep to start with, they made me put on weight as well which kickstarted my eating problems again..

Lily, nah I won't ever take them every day I'm only taking them a couple of times a week if that :)

doormouse, I will talk to my GP or psych again if that ever happens but can't see it happening right now.

SW, thank you for your input as well, I do understand where you're coming from.. I'm not taking either every day, I have 2mg Diazepam tablets and 10mg Temazepam, only to take when I need. That's how my psych prescribed them, up to 3 Diaz a day when needed, which I think I've only ever done once, and 1 or 2 Temaz when my sleep's been bad for a while. Its been like that about 18 months. I don't have any reason not to trust what my psychiatrist has said, and did get a second opinion from another doctor, they both think I'm sensible with these medications and won't cause myself a problem the way I use them.

If the Z type drugs are just as bad theres not much point changing I guess, and I don't really want to go back on anti-psychotics.. :worried_anim:

have you tried any meds that have a sedative side effect - like the old skool TCAs - that's what i use instead of sleepers... Amitriptyline to be specific...

they are prescribed in lower doses than that used for AD - so it was ok for me to take along with the SSRI i was taking as an AD...

maybe ask your doc to investigate that kinda stuff... they may not have thought to prescribe FOR the side effect, although it is a common thing to do sometimes...

o and the amitrip is also quite a good anti-anx med if you need to take some during the day...

xxx

im on the same page as badkitteh...

u dont sound like u could easily get addicted. like kitteh, i would be totally abusing the pills, taking them in the day...no doctor in this land will prescribe me benzos...

i think you are being sensible and your docs obviously trust you.

however, u can ask for other stuff. my old gp gave me these antihisthamines, they are usually used as a pre-med for children having surgery. it didnt knock me out, just chilled me enough to go asleep, you could ask your doc about these, i cant remember what they were called...but i do know i even tried to abuse them!

take care

toast x

SW, thank you for your input as well, I do understand where you're coming from.. I'm not taking either every day, I have 2mg Diazepam tablets and 10mg Temazepam, only to take when I need. That's how my psych prescribed them, up to 3 Diaz a day when needed, which I think I've only ever done once, and 1 or 2 Temaz when my sleep's been bad for a while. Its been like that about 18 months. I don't have any reason not to trust what my psychiatrist has said, and did get a second opinion from another doctor, they both think I'm sensible with these medications and won't cause myself a problem the way I use them.

If the Z type drugs are just as bad theres not much point changing I guess, and I don't really want to go back on anti-psychotics.. :worried_anim:

I can see that you are sensible with your useage of these drugs, but nevertheless, I have to point out some things to you.

You might not be taking them everyday, but because diazepam stays in your system for so long, you still may be dependent on them.In other words, you only have to be taking diaz/temax or the z-drug more than twice in one month to form a dependency. The temaz and z-drug are cross tolerant.

Doctors and psychiatrists are tragically ignorant on benzos and z-drugs, and as a result, we have many accidental prescription drug addicts in this country, who have unknowingly become addicted, by thier own doctor, who also dosen't know.

I feel it's my responsibility as a tranquiliser addict, who was also careful with her z-drug and valium use, because of my doctors ignorance.

I would hate to see you in the same position.

Villan, no I think TCAs are the one thing I haven't ever tried.. could do with something anti anxiety anyway and if they help you sleep too that could be worth trying, I will ask my CPN I think next week to ask the psych rather than GP. I'm not on other regular meds apart from my beta blockers but probably need something right now anyway, I wanted to try coming off everything but I'm a mess.

Toast, I've tried antihistamines that was one thing he mentioned as well but yeah no joy, same with herbal ones, I seem to need something stronger to knock me out, even the Temaz doesn't work sometimes :worried_anim:

SW, I'm sorry you formed that kind of dependency and do appreciate your concern I guess I just don't see how all doctors and psychiatrists can have it wrong? You were talking about 15mg a day as well, I only usually take 2 or 4 every now and then. I know it stays in your system a long time after but I still don't see why he would prescribe me something that isn't safe, I take it a lot less than he recommended anyway.

xxx

Hiya

To S-W,- i have 'sat on this ' for a long time, but i really think you are pushing it a bit .

When benzos are mentioned you jump on it with the zeal of a convert and get in there with terror tactics, suggesting ppl may 'already be addicted'

I think doctors & psychs are aware of the dangers of benzos- especially the younger ones.

I HATE Anti-psychotics, for a few reasons, but it would be inapropriate for me to start pulling up stats & facts about them from the internet and scare-monger ppl on here who are prescribed them.

This isn't 'personal' , nor an attack. I just feel you go a little far with it sometimes. I don't mean to upset you,

Take care xx am

edit- my point being i don't feel anyone here has the right to tell anyone else how or how not to take prescribed medicines from their dr/psych.

Villan, no I think TCAs are the one thing I haven't ever tried.. could do with something anti anxiety anyway and if they help you sleep too that could be worth trying, I will ask my CPN I think next week to ask the psych rather than GP. I'm not on other regular meds apart from my beta blockers but probably need something right now anyway, I wanted to try coming off everything but I'm a mess.

Toast, I've tried antihistamines that was one thing he mentioned as well but yeah no joy, same with herbal ones, I seem to need something stronger to knock me out, even the Temaz doesn't work sometimes :worried_anim:

SW, I'm sorry you formed that kind of dependency and do appreciate your concern I guess I just don't see how all doctors and psychiatrists can have it wrong? You were talking about 15mg a day as well, I only usually take 2 or 4 every now and then. I know it stays in your system a long time after but I still don't see why he would prescribe me something that isn't safe, I take it a lot less than he recommended anyway.

xxx

The All Parliamentary Group say that there are 1.5million involuntary tranquiliser addicts in the UK.

Shadow, you would be surprised at the ignorance of doctors and psyches when it comes to tranquiliser medication..

Tranquilisers are simply not in their training.

I know you are sensible, and take low doses, but no matter how low the dose, addiction can still form.

The good thing is that awareness is growing, and the organisation I linked you to above, are excellent and very friendly.

I don't mean to scare you, I just felt it my responsibility to make you aware.

lots of love

Okay if benzos and Z type drugs are bad even at low doses and used sensibly, what are the alternatives? Like I've said I've tried all the herbal stuff, I've tried antihistamines, I've been on anti-psychotics, anti-depressants, mood stabilisers etc. I understand the risks but I feel I need something right now or I'd hardly sleep at all so what do I do? :(

I have tried Lily, now I'm just confused. I will ask my CPN next week to ask my psych because he's the one that prescribed them originally. I'll explain my concerns, see what he says I guess. Now I'm confused because I already get paranoid about trusting doctors and professionals, now I'm not sure I want to take any of them <_<

I have tried Lily, now I'm just confused. I will ask my CPN next week to ask my psych because he's the one that prescribed them originally. I'll explain my concerns, see what he says I guess. Now I'm confused because I already get paranoid about trusting doctors and professionals, now I'm not sure I want to take any of them <_<

Please don't feel paranoid.

OK the docs and professionals aren't trained in sleeping tablets and tranquilisers, but there are organisations that are very clued up. One organisation which I linked above offers post-grad training to professionals and doctors, and they also can sometimes influence and guide doctors on tranqs and sleepers.

love sw

I have a strong opinion on this, but i don't want to upset anyone. Or get into arguments.

Just to re-iterate that imho meds are really a dr/patient thing, and individual to the person.

((((all))) xx am

• 3 months later...

I got prescribed Circadin (Melatonin) to help me sleep once and i thought it was great.

I was specifically prescribed it because it is non addictive.

After a few days it really did help me doze off.

But i'm not sure if you can only be prescribed it temporary for your brain to go back to it's normal state as i was only allowed it for two weeks.

Archived