Mental Health Forums

Funny Little Habits

marc-74

I have some silly habits and little quirky things I do. I am NOT OCD, but just have these little things I have to stick to,or do in certain situations.

The volume on the tv ALWAYS has to be on an even number

I cant cross the road at a crossing unless I'm the one thats pressed the button

I Love Marmite and butter on toast, (it is one of my favorite things in the world) but if either jar or pack is contaminated with the other I cant use them.

If I'm having a little drink of Whiskey,It can only ever have ONE cube of ice in it.

I do this symmetrical tapping with my fingers and thumbs, Where I tap fingers against thumbs in random sequences, but it MUST be the same on both hands at the same time.

I also cover my mouth with my hand anytime I walk up tiled steps,because of some fear of slipping and smashing my teeth

And for some reason thats completely without any sense is, when I open a bag of Wotsits, I MUST throw away the first one out of the bag.

I'm sure I have more, but can't think of them right now.

Has anyone else got any funny little habits the do?

Marc x

Oh I have many

I can only use sugar cubes when making tea,

Cornflakes must be eaten with ice cold milk and caster sugar (not granulated)

I can't eat the first slice of bread on the loaf (not including the crust)

I can't put a book down unless it is the end of a chapter.

If I read a book I like I have to buy the whole series or books by that author.

for toast it has to be brown bread but for sandwiches it must be white bread.

When I am listening to music I move my fingers like I am playing the piano (sort of)

Omg- i thougght that i was the only one!!!

The contaminated jars and if toast crumbs get in the butter i freak ! I tap my fingers too. They have to all tap the same with the same pressure and the same with my feet when i walk too!

It's nice to know I'm not the only one :) XXX

can only write with black pens.

have to count before going outside

arrange things in multiples of threes

rinse clean cups before using them

and the worst.....

i hate the feel of velvet, fleece and more than anything cotton wool. if i come in to contact with any of them i have to scratch my teeth with my nails for a bit i don't know why something about getting the balance of textures back or something equally weird.

the thought of any of those soft things actually touching my teeth or getting wool in my mouth is just horrible. *shudders*

funny how we all have our little quirks!

wallet HAS to be in left pocket, keys in right

sweets like fruit gums and pastilles HAVE to be eaten in the following order - green yellow orange red black

i am right handed but i HAVE to wear my watch on my right wrist with the dial on the inside of the wrist

if i wear them, i HAVE to wear an even number of rings

i prolly got more - but all i can think of jus now...

I mis-read the topic title as Fluffy Little Rabbits.

I am disappoint :(

:lol: Ross! x

Ok thinking about it now I have a few

I can only write in pencil

I have this thing about the little holes in bread that really freaks me out, if I'm not in the right mood then i can't go near it let alone eat it. It's that I look at a slice of bread and start falling between the holes with all the fluffy sticky out bits inside catch on me and making me itch.

If i make some food, or prepare it, i have to put a little of it in the bin, to feed the bin monster :rolleyes:

When i go to bed it has to be phone, then watch, then tobacco by my bedside.

x

If i make some food, or prepare it, i have to put a little of it in the bin, to feed the bin monster :rolleyes:

Me too, me too, me too!!

I've noticed, the more time Logan is spending here, he's started doing it too! Don't know if it's a good thing, really, but I only put a little bit in and so he does the same....However, i have to watch him carefully, and make he knows that veg makes the bin monster poorly - L's not getting out of his 5 a day that easily! haha

what else do i do? A few things...

Shoes live on the floor of my wardrobe, but they have to all be lined up with left shoe on the right and right shoe on the left.

I have a double cupboard with 3 shelves right across for cupboard goods....

top shelf is naughty foods - sweets, crisps, chocolate, then cooking sauces, salt and pepper and herbs and spices, ketchup etc.

middle shelf goes tea bags, coffee, herbal teas, hot choc, marshmallows, and choc sprinkles (for on top of hot choc), then baking stuff - flour, caster sugar, etc

bottom shelf is breakfast stuff - cereal, bread, dried fruit, then pasta, rice, soup, other tinned stuff like beans and spaghetti and veg.....

Each section of each shelf has to be arranged in rainbow colour order first, with the big stuff at the back, smaller stuff at the front. I re organise cupboards every day.

crockery has to be stored in cupboard in sets, so dinner plate, with a side plate on top, then a pasta bowl, then a breakfast bowl. I'm currently freaking out because i don't have enough cupboard space to do this properly here, so have figured out that it feels "right" to do 2 stacks of 3 dinner, 3 side, 3 pasta, 3 breakfast....

I have 4 lightswitches in the hall - one for downstairs hall, one for upstairs landing, one for front end of main room and other for back end of main room (the wall's been knocked thru so is one big room), and if I flick the switch for upstairs down, i go upstairs and turn the light off up there, then come down in dark and turn the light on again so all switches are pointing in same direction.

Brushing teeth - water on toothbrush, toothpaste on toothbrush, water on again, brush teeth for 30 seconds, rinse toothbrush. toothpaste on tooth brush, water on again, brush teeth 2 mins, and then i'm done.

When have diff food on plate - say, yorkshire pud, carrots, peas, roast pots, chicken - I have to have a little bit of each thing in each mouthful. this sometimes results in peas being cut in half if i don't judge it correctly! l- Lame, huh?!

any food that's left over is arranged on one side of plate in a triangle - kinda like a mini pizza slice. dunno why.

Think that's enough for now!! xx

I count everything - how long it takes to fill the kettle, fill the bath, the stairs.

I have different pens for different things and can only use the right pen for the right thing - hubby knows to leave my pens well alone now cos I freak out if I can't find one.

I can't start a new pen until the old one has completely run out.

I hate being an uneven number in age - like I am 43 at the mo I would rather just miss out the odd numbered ones even though if I did that it would make me 88!!

I have to have everything neatly and evenly pegged on the washing line. My next door neighbour is a really 'sloppy pegger' :lol: and I just want to go and re-arrange her washing all the time!!

That's all I can think of for now but I'm sure there's more.

LMAO @ "sloppy pegger" i wanna go and check out all my neighbours "pegging ability" now and grade them :)

:lol: my neighbour is definitely a 4 out of 10 and there's another neighbour down the road who is definitely a 2!!! xx

Ahh the pegging! That's my speciallity. Everything has to be neat, T Shirts all the same way up. Pegs must match the item or be neutral colours that don't clash and all the grey things go together, all the blue, all the bright colours etc. I hate random washing and sloppy pegging. I love the phrase "sloppy pegging", thank you! :D

My sister has the first habit on your list but with her car radio

if im in the passenger seat and she annoys me i change the volume to an odd number and she goes mental until i change it back.

I don't so much have odd habits as i do a routine, and that routine has to be done in a certain order, from the list of things I do when I get up in the morning, to the tasks i do when i get home, to the routine at night All must be done in a certain order, I try to routine at work but often cant due to its unpredictable nature and it drives me mad, like if someone is in the bathroom and i'm on the Shower part of my routine i cant move on to the next thing I have to sit and wait for the bathroom to be free so I can shower as unproductive as it is.

Also you guys really should watch what you type, reading the comments on "pegging" it took me a good several moments to realize you were talking about washing lines (since I use a tumble dryer) because I have a MASSIVELY dirty mind (i'm sorry i cant help it) I read that as something very disturbing for a few moments there :P (if your unsure what I mean Google "pegging") that certainly would constitute as a "funny little habit" and i'd be quite disturbed at you wanting to watch your neighbors do it :P

Just asked hubby if he knew what it was but didn't so he made me google and OMG but made us laugh about Bobulator saying that I'd been watching my neighbours doing it :lol: Will have to watch what I say in future!!

I can't eat apples unless they are cut into quarters at least but thats because i once found an apple that was rotten in the middle so i like to check the middle before i start eating.

when i'm at the dentists and i have to wash my mouth out I have to have 3 mouthfuls

when i'm styling/cutting/blowdrying hair i always have to work from left to right, same with foundation and lipstick but eye make up goes from right to left.

I can't eat dinner unless i have a glass of apple juice first. sometimes my mum forgets the fruit juice which is fine but my dad used to be like 'I'll get it, you eat your dinner' and i couldnt! So now he always lets me get it.

I dont like stopping reading if the next chapter number is an odd number

when i'm walking up or down stairs my left foot has to go on the first stair.

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhaaaaaaaaaaa!

I'm not too exotic but I eat things in a wierd way. I eat all the chocolate off chocolate bars (eg Mars, Snickers, Double deckers, twix, turkish delight, Aero...pass me some choc, please) until I'm left with a gooey mess of a centre. I bite all around Jaffa cakes , then pick the chocoate off the top before letting the smashing orangey bit melt in my mouth. But, y'know...who doesn't?!

I do exactly the same with crumpets though, so I am left with a really fluffy top after I've nibbled the crispy holes.

Now that sounds suggestive .... xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oh dear PMSL!!! xx

Remembered another one - I have to clean my teeth in the same order all the time.

PS My hubby has been humming 'Peggy Sue' all afternoon since I told him :lmaosmiley:

Anyway back to funny habits - I have to have matching nail and toe polish - can't cope if they're different!

lol just read through some of these ..........and yep i have to have all my clothes hanging nice and i got one of them rotery things that go round in angles i peg all my private knickers and bra and such in middle so no one can see them then i go round and round till sheets are on outside and all pegs have to be placed right and straight and if the are coloured pegs well then every line has to be a block of colour...... pink, blue, greeen, yellow like a little rainbow haha!! so glad its not just me haha!!

i don't eat crusts .....or begining or end of loafs will nibble off the crust or cut em off and fling them to the birds lol on top of my shed which anouys the hell out of my next door neighbor .... oh cos the birds drop it in her garden sometimes so she tells me ..

when leaving an empty room i will make sure windows are shut and lights are off and shut the door... oh and animals are not stuck in there on their own ....i'm sure i got more

used to eat food seperate, as in a roast start with the veg pile eating them seperate then the pots then leave meat till last and then the gravey .... but im getting better at that now ... lol

Archived