Mental Health Forums

Next Of Kin

lauraw2693

My CPN gave me an updated version of my care plan last time I saw her and asked me to check it and sign it for next time (Monday) but there's one thing I'm not too happy about.. Theres a next of kin section for contacting in an emergency which wasn't in my original care plan but she's put my dad - I've explained to her he knows very little about my issues and I want it to stay that way, I am NOT comfortable with him being contacted, ever. She did write I would prefer him not be contacted (instead contact my friend who is also listed as my carer if possible..) but that I understand legally he is my next of kin. Now I don't get that, I asked if it could be my mum instead which would be a little more bearable for me but she said no, has to be my dad first. Is this actually right? Does anyone know the laws or anything on this kind of thing? She said it would only be if I landed myself in hospital or something but I still don't want it on there when I'm not comfortable with it :worried_anim:

Thanks Villan, I'll try and check it out but that says father or mother so she's wrong and it can be my mum? Or is that father then mother if he's not around? xxx

Ah there's something about it on the MIND website: http://www.mind.org.uk/help/rights_and_legislation/nearest_relatives_under_the_mental_health_act_1983

That says: 2.3 If there is more than one person in each group or pair who could be the patient’s nearest relative, the eldest takes priority as nearest relative. The eldest of my parents happens to be my mum so thats awesome I'll tell her I want that changed :)

ask at CAB if you have one - they are usually good at this stuff...

hope you get it sorted so that you are comfortable... xxx

edit - cos you posted too

I would not let any member of my family act as nearest relative and have refused to give them their names and addresses, but saying that they have never pressed me on it and as I have asked for a close friend to be the only contact on my care plan, they seem satisfied with this. I have been detained under mha and did not give them a nearest relative name. as far as I am concerned they need your consent. sorry I guess if they know how to get hold of people thats harder but still think its your right to decide and have it recorded.

I don't know where they got my parents' address from actually, I don't remember giving them it but I suppose it must have been on my records somewhere.. I'll talk to her Monday see what she says. Thanks xxx

i think in the olden days fathers were automatically made next of kin, above the mothers, but i think that will have changed now, but not sure, they cant contact mine as no longer my next of kin, as now defaulted to hubby and my cc contacts him, even if i ask not to every time i OD, or consider it!

Archived