Mental Health Forums

Carbemazipine Mood Stabilizer

starryeyesee

I'm about to be prescribed this for my BPD as my pdoc thinks I may have bipolar traits. It is a mood stabibizer and I have to have a load of blood tests on wednesday before I can start taking it. I'm currently taking fluoxetine (prozac), risperidone (4mg) and oxezepam (70mg). She is trying this new med because anti-d's don't seem to have any effect on me..

Does anyone have any experience of this drug?

thanks in advance

starry xxx

edit its actually carbamazipine or tregretol

Hi Starry

My hubby is on carbamazepine for bipolar and he has not had a manic episode since he's been on it (he would end up in hospital for months on end). He does still get depressive episodes but nowhere near as bad as they used to be.

They can lower your immune system and he does sometimes feel like he is coming down with something but it never comes to anything.

One thing he has just said to point out is that you can't drink or eat grapefruit because it doesn't interact with it well.

He says that he would rather be on this than lithium and like all drugs - some work for some and not others and we both hope that you get on with it OK and that it helps you.

Much love

Cats xxxx

Thanks ((((cats)))))

I am trying to not to drink - so far so good - mainly because I have got to have a load of blood tests on wednesday including liver function tests. But I'm going to try and continue with it after the tests. I don't drink very much when I'm on tour, it's mostly when I'm home on my own that it gets hard. And it's a shame about the grapefruit juice cos I love it :( Also does your hubby have any trouble with driving cos I googled the side effects and I'm worried I won't be able to drive....

Thanks for the reply though

much love to you and Hubby

xxx

Well done with the drinking - I know how hard it is so wishing you all the best with that.

Hubby doesn't drive so I'm afraid I can't help you with that one. Hubby seems to think that it's only if you're using it for epilepsy that you can't drive - and thinks if it is more if affected don't drive.

I have another friend who is bipolar and I don't know which mood stabiliser she is on but her pdoc wouldn't let her drive for a while until he knew that she was stable but she's on an awful lot of other meds as well. She is driving now and is fine. I think you need to ask your pdoc about all of this sweets.

Sorry not much help. I hope someone else comes along soon who is taking it and can give you more definite answers.

xxxx

Hey, I have BPD not Bipolar but I've been on this and didn't find it had much effect on me at all.. I was okay to drive on it though - but I found this medication particularly bad with drinking alcohol so I'd warn against that if you drink or be cautious/limit your drink - although I was on other medications too so it may have been the combination not sure but just in case :) Hope it helps you xxx

Hi there. I was on carbamazepine years ago but being on soo many meds at the time can't remember particular things. Atm I am on Epival which is a similar mood-stabilizer I believe. With it they should monitor your bloods. As Cats says it can lower the immune system and mine is not great at the mo. I was put on it to stop mania which seems to be ok. I do have some nasty side effects but that doesn't mean that you will at all. I just seem to react badly to anything. I'd say it's worth giving it a go, before it I was up and down all over. Like you I can't take anti-d's they make me hyper. All the best Starry hope it goes well for you. xBumble

Archived