Mental Health Forums

Anxiety Sufferer On Meds

Myla

While I'm up and as anxious as fcuk I thought I'd ask the question. What meds do you take for anxiety? I take venlafaxine daily and have diazepam occassionally. But my gp won't prescribe me any more diazepam but I still need something for when I can't manage the anxiety myself. I'm planning to discuss this with my gp but just wondered what any of you guys here used.

I take Citalopram, stelazine and clonazepam (this is actually for facial spasms but also helps with anxiety and helps me to sleep).

I'm on 45mg of mirtazapine at the mo, I was on citalopram then changed to this as it adds sleep to.

But s my sleep seems to be ok now,I'm thinking of switching back.

I take Citalopram, stelazine and clonazepam (this is actually for facial spasms but also helps with anxiety and helps me to sleep).

catsmother, I haven't heard of either stelazine or clonazepam. Are these taken daily or as and when needed? Thanks.

Hi Myla

Stelazine is one of the older meds and it is an anti-psychotic but at a lower dose it is used for severe anxiety and disturbing thoughts. It can be taken regularly or on a as and when needed basis. I take them when I need them because I try to take as little medication as I can.

Clonazepam is a benzo and is very addictive but I need to take it every day to stop my facial spasms from happening and the secondary use is that it helps with anxiety. Again it can be taken on a PRN basis or every day like I do.

Hope this helps xx

Hi catsmother, yes very helpful thank you. I had wondered whether clonazepam was a benzo (if I was a bit more with it I might have googled it!). As for the stelazine, I recall taking chlorpromazine a number of years ago but I couldn't remember why. I'm now wondering now if it was for anxiety. It was pdoc prescribed but I presume it must be on my gp notes somewhere. Thanks again. :)

im on 250mg of beta blockers a day to stop the palpitations and diazepam 'as and when' i need it.

did try a couple of anti depressants but they made it worse

I've never taken anything directly for anxiety but i'm on a couple of meds which the doctor says can also be used to treat anxiety, amytriptaline and propranolol. She didnt want to give me anything for the anxiety but she did especialy chose me an anti d that can also help with anxiety so maybe your doc might do this too? tbh they havent helped with the anxiety but maybe thats just me xxx

im on 250mg of beta blockers a day to stop the palpitations and diazepam 'as and when' i need it.

I did wonder about beta blockers as I had them many, many years ago when I had a straight anxiety dx. I'd have to ask whether they'd "mix" ok with my ad.

did try a couple of anti depressants but they made it worse

Citalopram did that to me, lol!!

I've never taken anything directly for anxiety but i'm on a couple of meds which the doctor says can also be used to treat anxiety, amytriptaline and propranolol. She didnt want to give me anything for the anxiety but she did especialy chose me an anti d that can also help with anxiety so maybe your doc might do this too? tbh they havent helped with the anxiety but maybe thats just me xxx

I had thought amytriptaline was an ad. My ad is meant to be helping with anxiety and I think it is. But I could do with some more edges being shaved off :)

the beta blockers seem to work... was put on them straight away (before anti depressents were mentioned) started on 100mg a day in december and nowim up to 250mg ALTHOUGH when i started it was the odd anxiety attack... then they kept happening every time i left the house so i basically stayed in bed for 3 months... got put on anti depressents then (venlafaxine was the one that sent me off the rails)

in the past month ive been diaganosed with agoraphobia/social anxiety.... so im waiting on my CBT therapy which should start in the next month.

the last thrapist i saw who made the diagnosis wanted to put me back on an anti depressant but apart from being scared of the reaction i think the depression mainly comes from the iscolation of not going out/seeing people so im going to try it without (this again has to be discussed when i start my cbt but im hoping they dont make me take anything else really)

I find the diazepam can take the edge off some real bad attacks although ive being reading about how to try and 'float through' the attacks and accept them rather then fight them.... Although have had a few awful times like when i had to go to court and then i took them before i left (as an attack was obv going to happen) ... worked a little... was still scared shitless though...lol

I have anxiety and am on escitalopram - it dialed my anxiety right down.

Well, at first. i'm not sure if it's become less effective recently or if my other issues (suspected BPD, tend to have dysphoric episodes and go dissociative at times) are triggering extra doses of anxiety? IDK.

I had thought amytriptaline was an ad. My ad is meant to be helping with anxiety and I think it is. But I could do with some more edges being shaved off :)

amitrip is an ad, but it has a nifty anti-anx property and is also quite a good sedative, i had it prescribed in a low dose along with an ad for exactly those two things... i am off scheduled meds now, but still have it handy as a prn type thing...

propanolol is also good for anx, especially for the physical stuff to do with the anx, raised pulse and that... i was on them for a bit too...

imo, both of these are better than going down the "pam" or "z" drugs route for this stuff as they are way less addictive and so better for more long term assistance...

also with anx, yuo get caught up in the cycle of it all, have you tried any mindfulness or meditation type relaxation stuff at all... i know it's not everyone's cup'o'tea, but that stuff really helped me with it...

sorry you get this stuff, anx can be a right b*tch :(

:hug2: x

Thanks Pippa, petlamb and Villan :).

I don't so much get panics attacks but just heightened states of anxiety that become the norm. I was going to discuss this at my appt with the CPN that visits my gp's surgery but got all the way there only to find I'd got the date wrong. Aargh!

also with anx, yuo get caught up in the cycle of it all, have you tried any mindfulness or meditation type relaxation stuff at all... i know it's not everyone's cup'o'tea, but that stuff really helped me with it...

Villan, this made me chuckle :). Actually it's completely my "cup'o'tea" and though I haven't done mindfulness I do do breathing and relaxation techniques which means I don't suffer with the heart racing/palpitation etc symptoms. Ideally I'd love to not take anything but sometimes I need a break. Diazepam gives me that break but my gp is obsessed about me becoming addicted so says she won't keep prescribing. But I'm planning to work on her :)

Archived